U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:47 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,454,931 times

Advertisements

San Diego CA--if you can find a job and afford to live there. That is your answer to the weather problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:55 PM

14 posts, read 13,486 times
Thanks for all the replies, I am looking into Florida, south and north Carolinas, San Diego, Arizona. I have time to prepare and save. My goal is to have 20k saved up for the move also I am planning on buying a car so I can move and have transportation where I end up. Any recommendations.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,956,477 times
You may like the Pacific Northwest. However, if you entertain thoughts about Portland, Oregon, PLEASE secure a job first unless you have enough savings to live on for at least a year! The job market is always tight here, but has been particularly bad for the last several years.

Yes, it rains a lot here. The spring is often the rainiest season, and summers are usually beautiful but short. It can get cold here. Though mild by northeast standards, Portland weather is not for everybody.

What is 'warm' for you? For example, 80 degrees is almost too warm for some Portlanders. Do you like desert heat? It'd be hard to suggest a place without snow that isn't 100 degrees in the summer.

This is a spendy region to suggest but may have weather you'd like: Somewhere in northern California, in wine country, which has a lot of small towns rich in arts and culture. Santa Rosa is bigger. Sebastopol is very small but quaint. The bad side to this suggestion is that it is very expensive.

You may like Sacramento.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,856,311 times
I would vote against the PNW even though it is not as cold as the NE, it's still not what I could call warm. Winter is chilly and rainy. It would be a break from the snow of CT but I get the feeling you want sunny. I also think for a first time move, the rainy dreary winters would be tough to handle. No matter how much you dislike the city you are leaving, you will more than likely go through a withdrawal/homesick period at some point when the excitement of a new city wears off. It's just a psychological flaw that we all deal with in that our brains like routine and what's familiar.Throw in overcast skies and it could be a little bit tougher. At least it is for some. Some people must have sun. I'm fortunately in that I'm the opposite.

California fits your criteria to an extent, but man, it is flat out expensive. I lived briefly in LA and made several scouting trips to SF with plans to relocate there but ultimately had to give up on that dream, as the cost of living was just too high for me. I don't have a true career, so that could change down the road. I don't know what your career pays in CT, and how much you have saved up. Until I knew that info, I place my vote against any place in California due to the cost.

Combining mass transit with warm/mild climates is a bit of a chore but you say it's only till you get on your feet, so that makes it doable. Northern cities have better mass transit than southern cities. It's unfortunate, and the south appears to be trying to catch up but is still light years behind Chicago, Boston, DC, Portland, SF, etc in mass transit.

DC would be a nice pick in my opinion, however, it may not be "warm" enough for you. Especially if you are looking for Florida heat.

Although I am not fond of the city, Atlanta may be a possible destination. As it's mass transit should be sufficient, it has some culture, plenty of warm weather, within driving distance of the beautiful Carolina countryside as well as Tennessee.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM

21,636 posts, read 14,239,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTAnnie View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I am looking into Florida, south and north Carolinas, San Diego, Arizona. I have time to prepare and save. My goal is to have 20k saved up for the move also I am planning on buying a car so I can move and have transportation where I end up. Any recommendations.
I like your choices. The Carolinas might be best unless you seriously want to live in the West.

Good luck with your plan. A plan is best, and you will feel empowered to be carrying it out. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM

14 posts, read 13,486 times
Thanks guys for all the help and advice. So Silibran, so do you live in the Carolinas? Could you share your experience? I really need to know the stories behind the move. Where in the Carolinas you think is the best areas?

Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 PM

21 posts, read 53,811 times
Default Move to Phoenix

Seriously.. I came here when I was 16, great weather, well besides the June-Aug heat, but theres a bus system all around the whole city... Theres not the best jobs around here, but ANYONE can get hired telemarketing while you look for something better, its cheap and easy to rent here.. If its just you, a studio with utilities included will run 300-500 a month, and if you want to live in a hip, nice area, Tempe- which is home to ASU, or Scottsdale/Biltmore/Downtown you can expect to pay a bit more-- Um I can tell you that I am personally sick of it now, because Ive been here off and on for 12 years, Im from Michigan, lived in Cali, Minnesota, Wisconsin.. and Im on my way to Florida soon.. The only reason Im done is because I got older, have a kid and the newness of the desert wore off long ago.. But where else can you drive 30 minutes out of town and go camping for New Years Eve, like I did last year, Drive 5 hours to LA, Vegas, or San Diego.. spend nights out all year long without a coat, or mosquitos and meet really fun, cool people who are most likely not from here either??!!!!

i love Phoenix, but Im adventurous and ready for somewhere new.. But I understand you, I also jumped on a Greyhound and left, the first time at 16, and came here....its been a life of over 16 Greyhound trips around the country, and still I would say this is a good place to try out first when your looking for a new adventure!!!

Advice on free things to do... get a library card, and you can get "culture passes" which are free tickets to the zoo, science center, and other cool places..

Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 AM

50 posts, read 142,905 times
Quote:
I am 29 year old and live in CT. I am tired of the snow and the cold climate. I want to move somewhere warm with lots of culture, easy going people and lots of open space. I will be giving everything away including my car which is a piece of crap. I am going to take one luggage and get on Greyhound. Please let me know where you moved to and I would love to get your experience. Somewhere that you can live without a car for a few months till I get on my feet.
I am pretty much in the same situation in terms moving out to another state. Aside from the cold climate - I have my reasons in wanting to move.

YOu mentioned lots of culture easy going people . . . so if it's city life? open space? then I don't recommend VA, but if what you mean is slower pace than normal, safety, well-mannered people - I would def recommend VA, MD. very residential areas, easy to get around without a car (I have a car), jobs are pretty easy to get here, and housing is pretty cheap if you are looking to just settle for a little while.

nightlife is descent - but have to go towards dc. great and again easily accessible without a car - as long as your are not out there till dawn. lots of local gyms, restaurants, stores etc.

lastly when you DO get used to the life - things can get a little expensive, but that will depend on your preferences and your taste in things. good luck

Old 03-01-2013, 12:06 PM

4,559 posts, read 7,033,768 times
I'd say check out Dallas or Houston. Nashville is suppose to be a hot place to move to now. I mean, there's really nowhere in the US where it doesn't get somewhat cold in the winter (except FL). West coast cities will get into the 40's at night but no snow...but terribly expensive.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 PM

23,396 posts, read 17,418,171 times
Quote:
Thanks guys for all the help and advice. So Silibran, so do you live in the Carolinas? Could you share your experience? I really need to know the stories behind the move. Where in the Carolinas you think is the best areas?
I've lived in SC (though it was in the upstate for a short time several years ago, and once as a small kid) and have a lot of experience in western NC. Many people from the Northeast are wanting to move to Carolinas for the same reasons as you - warmer weather, perceived less taxes, etc. Most of these people are retirees. The economy of the Carolinas has never been particularly robust, but housing prices have risen dramatically in western NC due to the influx of northeastern retirees, to the point that many middle class natives can no longer afford to own their own homes.

Unemployment in much of the Carolinas is some of the highest in the nation. If you do secure a job, you will have a substantial income cut. Yes, the cost of living is less, but will it be proportional to the reduction in net income? Maybe, maybe not.

Though the unemployment rates look high, I can tell you at least anecdotally that I've had more call backs on jobs in NC than TN, and many of the people I grew up with relocated to Charlotte/Triangle and seem to be doing fine. It might not be as bad as the numbers indicate.

Public transportation in the South is going to suck, no matter how you slice it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues