U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM
'M'

1,818 posts, read 2,605,960 times

Advertisements

Moved Saturday. Pre-move estimate was a range between $900 and $1100 for move. In the end, the invoice I was presented was for $1500+. I wrote a check for $1200, gave each of the movers a $50 tip, and told the lead mover that I had a difficult time paying over the estimate. Have used this moving co. 4x. The ownership changed to a family member, the older owner is no longer involved. The former owner's bids were always 'right on'. I told the lead mover this when I wrote the check.

How should something like this be handled? I am cash poor right now. I'm planning to ask them to split the difference of $300. What is fair in a situation like this? BTW...their bid wasn't in writing, it was verbal only. I gave them all the info up front.

Do we have any good business heads out here who can give me some sound, yet kindly, advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,613,526 times
Always get a bid in writing. And this is common with movers...there is usually a minimum charge, then hourly rate on top of that. I had movers....I kid you not, the truck was loaded, and they had to drive the truck to follow me to my new place a few blocks away...on city streets, they drove the truck at 20 mph!!! 20! Thank goodness it was not an hour away! Then, the lazy azz movers pick up one box at a time...HELLO! I loaded four boxes on a Dolly and started doing the work myself, at the rate they were going it was going to be all day. They steppped up after seeing me do more work then they were doing...an old lady "showing" them up.

I think you are stuck. Pay it. Move on..lesson learned.

I hate movers. I have only had a few good ones. The rest were worthless.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 PM

521 posts, read 3,929,420 times
How does someone who is a member of Washington's Premier Private Golf Country Club not have $300 to pay their mover?

As you probably already know if you've used the same company before, household goods carriers are regulated in the state of Washington by the Utilities and Transportation Commission. Even if they give you a verbal quote, licensed movers are required by state law to provide you with free written estimate of the probable cost of your move.

Household Goods Carriers
http://www.utc.wa.gov/consumers/Docu...sumerGuide.pdf

If the company refuses to negotiate your overpayment claim, you can try contacting the
the UTC's Consumer Protection Help Line at 888-333-9882.

Unfortunately, since it appears that everything was arranged under the table by both parties, there may not be anything they can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues