Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:39 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
we moved to NC with a job in place but then lost the job after we moved, they recinded their offer, we moved to AZ without a firm job and found one 1 week after being here. it is scary no matter what you do, they can always change their minds.

You live in Az? I didn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
By now most of you know I want to move to N.C. but I live in Texas. BIG move.
Ok, most places want you to start work now but I'm still in Texas. And it sounds kind of stupid to move without a job. I would like some feedback on anyone that might have gone something like this. Any ideas or suggestions???? Thanks
I'm probably going to do it too. I thought I could transfer with my company, I doubt it though. If I don't land something I'm sure the temp agency can put me to work. I in accounting and moving to Charlotte, seems like a lot of opportunity for that.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:28 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
I think it really depends on what you have to lose.

My husband and I left good jobs and moved halfway across the country with no jobs lined up. Some people thought we were kind of stupid, but we figured if we were going to make the move, we'd better "bite the bullet" sooner than later. I did have some interviews lined up before we left and was very fortunate to land the first job I interviewed for. It took my husband a while to find a job in his field, and we had to really tighten the belt for the first year after we bought our house, but luckily, it worked out in the end.

Of course you also have to consider the fact that we had no kids, didn't own a home yet, etc. when we moved. And because we're both in the education field, we also still had 3 months of income coming in, so that gave us a little "breathing room."

Another thing to consider is how many monthly bills you have to maintain (credit cards, car payments, etc.) It's a lot easier to live cheaply on a "substandard" job for a while if you're "just" worried about food and rent, but if you have other expenses it's obviously a lot harder to take a pay cut.

In the end I would say you have to follow your heart, but be prepared to make sacrifices for a while and really ask yourself--honestly--what you're willing to give up (material things) and/or do (work a job you don't really like) to live where you want to live.

Good luck!
We don't have a car note or credit card bill,just a house note. And our heart is leading us to N.C. We want to move before we get to old to enjoy it ha. And my husband hates his job now, I got laid off two years ago and have gotten into photography which I enjoy.
Thanks for your kind words.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:33 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
What part of NC are you looking towards moving to?

a1m1700 you know anything about Quick Books?

Old 10-06-2006, 07:43 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post

Western N.C. we want to in or near the mountains. But the homes in that area are so expensive we may also look at Hickory. The Waynesville/Maggie Valley area is our favorite, but I don't think we'll be able to aford anything there.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:48 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
Hickory is nice..... A day trip would not be out of the question for you. Also the rural part of Lincolnton/Maiden would be nice. Thats about 15 min ride to Hickory.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:22 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Nobody will take you seriously until you show up. A friend of mine moved to SLC Utah. He contacted the office and the employer was very stand offish. The next week upon arriving in SLC he walked into the office and the manager was shocked. The manager apologized and said he just was not able to take him seriously thousands of miles away. He was hired right away. This is the way it usually works. You have to be there. E-mails and phone calls from out if town are just not viewed as credible.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post

I'll be off of exit 25 7 miles east. I know Quick Books is an accounting software I myself have never used it, I know People Soft and Oracle, Tandem, excel spreadsheets. You have something for me? I'll buy the software and learn it before I get there

Old 10-06-2006, 02:41 PM

212 posts, read 791,253 times
We were in the same situation. We tried to get a job before we left AZ, but it just didn't happen like that. We got to Utah and were blessed to find a great job once we were here. I ditto loose cannon, people just don't take you seriously until they know you are local.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:51 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,070 times
I thought I was the only one who had this concern,moving long distances are scarey,but I guess you leap and hope for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues