U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 12:21 PM

31 posts, read 94,243 times

Advertisements

I am doing a cross-country move and will need to obtain an apt in my new city prior to the move. I am, for the most part, searching on craigslist for apts, but am a little concerned about sealing a deal (signing a lease, and turning over any rent and deposit money) via long distance, as I know that scams are everywhere. Any advice on how to avoid being taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 01:38 PM

415 posts, read 2,155,562 times
First question is where are you moving to.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:33 PM

31 posts, read 94,243 times
I'm moving to Baltimore.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:42 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,479,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades of gray View Post
I'm moving to Baltimore.
forget craigs list, get a good real estate agent that knows the area and sit back and relax - nothing wrong with craigs list, but i only deal locally with anyone on that site.

Good luck with the move
Colleen

Old 10-31-2007, 08:41 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,869,550 times
Also some sleazy apartment building managers tend to charge an application fee for a credit /background check without even having a vacancy or sometimes the place is already taken, but the manager will still screen applicants and pocket the fee money without doing any checks.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:56 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,258,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades of gray View Post
I am doing a cross-country move and will need to obtain an apt in my new city prior to the move. I am, for the most part, searching on craigslist for apts, but am a little concerned about sealing a deal (signing a lease, and turning over any rent and deposit money) via long distance, as I know that scams are everywhere. Any advice on how to avoid being taken.
This is a tough one. I would never rent an apartment without seeing it first. You can land in big trouble. Are you sure you can't stay in a hotel for a week while looking? You can line up places in advance, just make sure you see them first.

Greenie

Old 10-31-2007, 09:30 AM

305 posts, read 1,526,946 times
When we moved from CA to PA 5 years ago, we chose our new apartment online. All I did was Google "Apartments for Rent in PA" and low and behold I had instant access to several different apartment/home rental sites. For example, rent.com, apartments.com, apartmentguide.com, etc.

These sites always have multiple pictures (inside and ouside, including the pool and/or other amenities), floor plans, basic guidelines (pets, no pets, type of utilities, etc). We spent a few months looking (we had time on our side). After contacting the property managers, they would mail us an information packet that was more complete, along with a rental application.

We ended up renting (sight unseen) a beautiful townhome. It was exactly as the photos indicated and there were no last-minute surprises. We lived there 3 years but then had to move in order to be closer to the college both my daughters were attending.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change how we did it. I had no regrets.

Keep in mind that most apartment/property managers get a 60-day notice from their tenants, so if you need a place by January, be ready to rent it at least one month in advance, but most likely 2 months.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:02 PM

449 posts, read 1,474,406 times
We had thought of renting ahead too but decided it was better to pay the hotel than end up with a bad lease, if it is sleazy they're not likely to let you out of the lease. I always wonder esp if most pictures are of the office. I do know someone who did set up a rental and it looked like the pics posted, etc. What it didn't show is that even though it was in a good area, the complex itself had problems with vandalism, fights, drugs.

If you do go with a real estate company, be sure to ask about any finding fees. I never heard of that but found out they're common practice in some areas.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:10 AM

109 posts, read 413,137 times
I agree with the posters above, I went and looked at several apartments I had seen online and was totally shocked to see them for real. Boy they can make them look good, same with a house, boy does it look different when you actually see it.
Do u already have a job lined up because I am having trouble getting an apartment w/o employment?

Old 11-06-2007, 02:11 AM

109 posts, read 413,137 times
also, i was going to suggest checking out apartment ratings and reviews, although alot of them are not in there that you might be interested in. Then that is only opinion too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues