U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:51 PM

10 posts, read 18,458 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I have been in the Chattanooga, TN area for nearly a year now and we really don't like it here. We are originally from Jacksonville, FL and while it is an ok place we want something new. What we are looking for is a nice place that is within 1 hour (driving) from the beach. We need a place with a reasonable cost of living (the lower the better) and somewhere with good shopping, restaurants and great schools. Of course as most people would we also want to find a place with low crime. Please let me know of any suggestions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM

11,789 posts, read 26,703,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemithao View Post
Hi all,

My family and I have been in the Chattanooga, TN area for nearly a year now and we really don't like it here. We are originally from Jacksonville, FL and while it is an ok place we want something new. What we are looking for is a nice place that is within 1 hour (driving) from the beach. We need a place with a reasonable cost of living (the lower the better) and somewhere with good shopping, restaurants and great schools. Of course as most people would we also want to find a place with low crime. Please let me know of any suggestions.

Thanks
Try Summerville, SC. What about work?

Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 PM

28,396 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
We need a place with a reasonable cost of living...
You won't find that in ANY east coast city.

You can sorta approach it in some places... but it'll be tough.
The real key being how much INCOME you can earn there.

Do your homework:
Cost of Living comparison calculator
State and County QuickFacts
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-29-2013 at 06:37 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM

56,263 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You won't find that in ANY east coast city.

You can sorta approach it in some places... but it'll be tough.
The real key being how much INCOME you can earn there.

Do your homework:
Cost of Living comparison calculator
State and County QuickFacts
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
It depends on what you consider East Coast and parts of the Northeast are around the national average in overall cost of living, give or take. I agree with Summerville or Mount Pleasant near Charleston SC.

Last edited by Yac; 03-29-2013 at 06:37 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 11:36 AM

28,396 posts, read 61,765,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It depends on what you consider East Coast...
I suppose it also depends on what the person asking considers a city.
Let alone what "great east coast city" means to them. Maybe they'll come back and let us know.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 PM

As stated in my op. I am from Jacksonville, FL (well the outskirts.) We lived about 45 mins from the ocean. Jax was ok except there were bad areas and the schools blow. I know there will be bad areas in most cities but I want something new. Everywhere I go I compare it to jax. I want a place with shopping. I don't care about unique shops restaurants etc. I want super target, kohls, publix or something similar. I want good schools. Our budget is small due to my husband being on ltd for an illness. So I was hoping for something not so expensive. Is it
really that hard to find this on the southeastern coast? I doubt it. Anyway, there you go. I'm not gonna up and move to the west coast since all my family is in the south and I'm not moving to the north cause I cant take the snow. Also like I said I don't have to be right on the ocean. An hours drive would be fine.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 PM

I'll check out mt pleasant

Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 PM

So, I checked out Mt. Pleasant on bestplaces.net. Wow, the cost of living is much higher than Jacksonville. Perhaps I am wishing on a hopeless dream

Old 03-14-2013, 10:45 AM

16,728 posts, read 25,702,493 times
You really need to say what you think is "reasonable" or "expensive". Are you looking to rent or buy?

Problem with much of the east coast is that places that are close to the ocean (even within an hour) are either really rural or they are tourist meccas which make them expensive.

What do you live off, your DH's disability? Is getting a job a factor at all?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 PM

11,789 posts, read 26,703,564 times
Quote:
So, I checked out Mt. Pleasant on bestplaces.net. Wow, the cost of living is much higher than Jacksonville. Perhaps I am wishing on a hopeless dream
Mt Pleasant is one of the more expensive towns to live. Check out Summerville, SC. It has all the stores you mentioned in two shopping centers, has good schools, and the cost of living is less than MT P.

Last edited by beckycat; 03-14-2013 at 07:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or