U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:33 PM

748 posts, read 1,413,324 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are starting to pack up our boxes. Neither one of us has ever really packed correctly before using boxes, bubble wrap and so on. I have no clue what i'm doing I'm just wrapping items up and laying them in a box. Is there a correct and incorrect way to do this? Or is just putting whatever in a box good enough, labeling the box and moving on? I want to do this correctly and have a lot of fragile items and really nice items that I do not want tore up. My moving company I hired told me I could go ahead and pack boxes but not to tape them because they have to check each box and make sure it's full enough to withstand weight stacked on it. My question is how do I get a completely full box without overloading it? I've got a overloaded box and it still isn't full yet. Any suggestions or tips for packing up boxes or packing in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 06:04 PM

521 posts, read 3,941,258 times
Which company are you moving with?

Most of the larger national van lines have YouTube libraries filled with different kinds of "How to Pack" videos. It's worth the time to watch at least watch the ones about how to pack the kitchen and good china.

This one if Mayflower's but the techniques are all the same.

Moving Tips from Mayflower: Packing your Kitchen - YouTube

Old 03-09-2013, 06:19 PM

7,867 posts, read 10,549,490 times
Bubbles in against the item not out.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:57 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,385,532 times
Pack heavy things in small boxes, light stuff in big boxes. If the box you're packing is starting to get heavy, fill it the rest of the way with a pillow, comforter, etc.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 PM

521 posts, read 3,941,258 times
Very few professional movers use either plastic 'bubble wrap' or styrofoam "peanuts". Not only are they expensive, but they not very earth friendly.

By comparison, ink-less newsprint is $0.45-$0.60 per pound and can be easily recycled.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:41 AM

5,326 posts, read 11,043,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiTikki View Post
ink-less newsprint is $0.45-$0.60 per pound and can be easily recycled.
How would one know if the stuff is *ink-less*, without asking the publisher ?

Old 03-10-2013, 07:04 AM

1,984 posts, read 2,633,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
How would one know if the stuff is *ink-less*, without asking the publisher ?
No, it's plain newsprint-type paper -- there's no printing on it. You buy it (not expensive) from moving companies,U-Haul, etc. It comes in a bundle, already cut into big squares.

The major advantage of using plain newsprint over newspaper is that the newsprint has no ink on it. If you wrap your items in regular newspaper, you'll have to wash the ink off each one as you unpack it. That has happened to me, and it's a terrible chore.

The other advantage is that when you unpack, you can smooth out each sheet of paper and recycle it, or save it for your next move, or give it to someone else for their move.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:38 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,463,130 times
We are also in the midst of packing up...

#1 -- Get rid of everything you can live without. Give to Goodwill, homeless shelters, etc., etc. Makes sure what you are donating is clean and in good shape. Don't try running a yard sale at this point in your life. If you have something really, really nice, look for a consignment shop. Don't pack things that you will never unpack. If you haven't used something in several years, get rid of it. This goes for anything you didn't *unpack* from the last time you moved (I have trouble convincing my husband of this!) Acknowledge that trash is sometimes just trash...however un-ecological you may feel when you throw it out. If you don't take it along, you don't have to pay to have it moved.

#2 -- Heavy on the bottom, light on the top. For breakables, limit how much space is around the object by using a smaller box, and filling in the sides with biodegradable peanuts or the blank newsprint recommended above. Liquor boxes (check your local store or ABC) are immensely helpful and often free or .25 cents apiece. For items that are odd-shaped, that protective plastic that comes in big sticky rolls so you can cling-wrap is nice to have.

#3 -- Don't feel you must stuff every box completely full. As you go, leave some boxes half full so that when you find things that will fit well in them, you don't need to start a whole new box.

#4 -- Think of it as a giant 3-D Tetris game. Those aren't books -- they're blocks of different shapes and sizes. Now fill this empty box with them. Same thing with all your other 'stuff'. If you pack clothes in boxes, roll them instead of folding. It works when you travel too!

#5 -- Finally, clean up as you go. When you've emptied a drawer or a closet, take a moment to dust, sweep or vacuum. Start staging your home (if you're selling it) as you pack. Not only will it save you time later but you'll feel more like you've accomplished something. Packing seems like an never-ending task and it's nice to be able to say 'well, that room's done' rather than 'okay, now I have to do x, y, and z in there.'

Good luck!

Are you having North Carolina Dreams or South Carolina Dreams?

Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 AM

748 posts, read 1,413,324 times
Those are all really great tips, Thanks everyone! If you have more, keep them coming.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 AM

16,784 posts, read 25,852,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
My husband and I are starting to pack up our boxes. Neither one of us has ever really packed correctly before using boxes, bubble wrap and so on. I have no clue what i'm doing I'm just wrapping items up and laying them in a box. Is there a correct and incorrect way to do this? Or is just putting whatever in a box good enough, labeling the box and moving on? I want to do this correctly and have a lot of fragile items and really nice items that I do not want tore up. My moving company I hired told me I could go ahead and pack boxes but not to tape them because they have to check each box and make sure it's full enough to withstand weight stacked on it. My question is how do I get a completely full box without overloading it? I've got a overloaded box and it still isn't full yet. Any suggestions or tips for packing up boxes or packing in general?
I never heard of a moving company checking your boxes.

I just bubble wrapped breakable stuff. I took a lot of extra time with stuff like Christmas ornaments and china - lined the boxes with bubble wrap in addition to wrapping.

It's better if you don't leave a lot of extra room in the boxes for stuff to shift around. Your instinct will be to do that (leave room) but don't. Don't jam stuff in but don't leave open spaces.

Obviously, put like with like. DOn't put stuff from your bathroom into your kitchen boxes.

Spread out heavy stuff among boxes. Use common sense. If you can't lift the box it's too heavy. Double up on taping up the bottom of the box.

Use specialty boxes when required - tall lamps, sporting goods, etc. Throw lightweight stuff in around those items.

I didn't have one thing break on our 600 mile move from NY to NC.

One tip I got was not to use newspaper - it's heavier than bubble wrap, which is while you'll find movers (who charge by weight) recommending it Plus you'll be covered in newsprint when you're done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues