U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 AM

125 posts, read 369,158 times

Advertisements

They charge a dollar when you change it on-line...to verify who you are. They will take a debit or a credit card! woo-hoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 PM

15,640 posts, read 8,758,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Just remember some of return to sender might be credit card renewal,it happened to me and account was closed,also some state and county items which might cause problems.
On the credit card I had to do change of address to my daughters home to get card,found it expired when we couldn't pump gas!!
Everyone should know which credit cards they have and can even do a change of address online with them.

Credit cards will never be forwarded but returned to sender.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:24 PM

2,431 posts, read 4,595,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Prairiegirl View Post
They charge a dollar when you change it on-line...to verify who you are. They will take a debit or a credit card! woo-hoo!
No WAY!!! They didn't last time I used it, but I guess it's been a while. Haven't moved in years, and no vacation in a long time. Bummer.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 AM

818 posts, read 1,946,933 times
I usually look through my checkbook registers to see everyone I've paid in the past couple years and make a "change address" list from there. That usually covers some I would have forgotten, like the DMV (registration), tax man, assessor and other things I only pay every year or two. If you have a passport, I think you just have to write in the new address. I'm not sure about the passport cards though.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:49 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,366,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
You can change his address online.

DanBev: For credit cards and bank statements, if you're afraid that they might not get forwarded on time, switch from paper statements to e-statements. (You can also set up email notifications when your bill is due, when charges of X amounts are charged).
Thank you,I am totally on line with everything,actually what I refer to as credit is debit which I use as credit.I get all statements on line,have had all credit cards closed because I have not charged in years.
I will tell how this happened,we were visiting daughter in CT,we were preparing to sell home and on 11/2010 had heart attack and then open heart ,coincidently my card expired 11/10 and the previous year my wife let hers expire unknowingly while in CT.We do and have lived in FL for 22 years but were thinking of returning to CT for family and remaining years but cost in CT is astronomical.
I was in rehab and wife could not renew mine because we did not have power of atty's on account which we have now,acct's are joint but not for cards.We do have money stashed for any situation.
this was a wake up call.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:46 PM

15,640 posts, read 8,758,109 times
Quote:
Thank you,I am totally on line with everything,actually what I refer to as credit is debit which I use as credit.I get all statements on line,have had all credit cards closed because I have not charged in years.
I will tell how this happened,we were visiting daughter in CT,we were preparing to sell home and on 11/2010 had heart attack and then open heart ,coincidently my card expired 11/10 and the previous year my wife let hers expire unknowingly while in CT.We do and have lived in FL for 22 years but were thinking of returning to CT for family and remaining years but cost in CT is astronomical.
I was in rehab and wife could not renew mine because we did not have power of atty's on account which we have now,acct's are joint but not for cards.We do have money stashed for any situation.
this was a wake up call.
Any credit card that you want to keep open you would need to use about every 6 months. I usually buy a tank of gas on one then rotate just to keep some open.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,856,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Prairiegirl View Post
I know - surprised me too. Then you get a confirmation in your mailbox and junk mail too. I did not change my address, only forwarded mail from my home address to my po box and the post office sent me relocation info and advertising/coupons from Sears, Lowe's and other stores. I was traveling for a couple of months and didn't want mail arriving in my mailbox and the post office will only hold mail up to 30 days. Having a UPS box was a lot more expensive, but there were also many advantages.

NOTE: When completing the form, whether online or in the post office, always check "FAMILY" unless someone else with the same last name lives at your current address. In other words, if your name is John Q. Public and you fill out a forwarding card for J. Public, you won't get any mail that has John Public or John Q. Public. I thought that was odd, but that's what the postal worker told me when some mail wasn't forwarded. I always thought family meant the entire household, but it's for anyone with your last name. So if you share a home with someone with a different surname (roommate, significant other, relative) you should check "family" not "individual."

Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
You can change his address [URL="https://moversguide.usps.com/icoa/icoa-main-flow.do?execution=e1s1&_flowId=icoa-main-flow&referral=UMOVE"]online.[/URL]
I disagree. That's why they want a credit card to prove you are the person who moved. I mean, what would prevent any of your neighbors from saying you moved just because they're jerks?

Edit: IIRC, I was not only asked for my credit card number, but also the 3 digit security code on the back of the card to show I was in possession of the card. So how can someone change another person's address online? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if that were the case, it would open the door for identity theft.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-27-2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev
For credit cards and bank statements, if you're afraid that they might not get forwarded on time, switch from paper statements to e-statements. (You can also set up email notifications when your bill is due, when charges of X amounts are charged).
Although this is a good idea and I do all my banking online, it doesn't really matter. The only change is the delivery method. You can always get an online statement even if you have mail delivered to you. When you check "paperless" it's to stop the paper statement, but that doesn't mean you can't go into any bank account or credit card account website and check your statement.

Source: I've been paying bills online for about 20 years. You can pay at the site or you can pay from your checking account online, with or without ebills, as long as you have the account number and correct mailing address.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
I will tell how this happened,we were visiting daughter in CT,we were preparing to sell home and on 11/2010 had heart attack and then open heart
How awful! Blessings to you and your family. I hope you've made a complete recovery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues