Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,987,964 times

Advertisements

I know that you can fill out a forward mail slip from the USPS and they will forward mail for one year. Is there any other service or option that will extend this? Does USPS notify the senders of the new address?

My concern is that I may forget to tell one company that I moved, i.e. professional organization, doctor's office, and they will send me a bill or important documents after the 1 year mark, I won't get them and will be sent to collections, membership cancelled, etc.

Ideas or suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:17 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
First-Class Mail®, First-Class Package Service, and Priority Mail®
  • First-Class Mail®, First-Class Package Service, and Priority Mail® service is forwarded for 12 months, at no charge, as long as the sender did not place a non-forwarding endorsement on the mailpiece
  • During months 13-18, the mail is returned to sender with the new address
  • After 18 months, the mail is returned to the sender with reason for nondelivery attached.
There is foward Plus service but Don't know what it includes.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:24 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,987,964 times
Interesting - I still get mail in my mailbox from prior tenants.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,992,198 times
Notice I didn't say it worked......

So much mail is processed with automatic sorting machines to the zip+4+2 (the barcode on the envelope). Once a forward expires, Its get auto-sorted and most of the time no person looks at it, it just get bundled into the mail stream for the postal carrier to deliver.

Also in apartment, the USPS often does not know who actually lives there, they deliver whatever that get to the address regardless of the name.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 PM

131 posts, read 453,530 times
I was just getting ready to do this on-line when I saw your post!

"First class.priority mail and express mail -12months
Newspapers, magazines -60days
packages- 12 months
catalogs - not forwarded
standard mail - not forwarded"

I am about to do the same thing and am beating my brains trying to make sure I don't forget anyone! I was in the grocery store and heard an ad for I-Pass....oh yeah! forgot about them! smack!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:41 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Interesting - I still get mail in my mailbox from prior tenants.
Probably because the previous tenant(s) neglected to notify the post office, or anyone else, of their address change.

The junk direct-marketing mail which is not first class will end up at your old address. At my apt complex, as a rule, tenants will place mail that is not theirs on the counter for either the postal carrier to pick up, or for the person it's addressed to to claim.

I have only one magazine subscription and even though I notified them at least a month prior to moving it will still take them upwards of three or more months to make the change.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:02 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Prairiegirl View Post
I was just getting ready to do this on-line when I saw your post!

"First class.priority mail and express mail -12months
Newspapers, magazines -60days
packages- 12 months
catalogs - not forwarded
standard mail - not forwarded"

I am about to do the same thing and am beating my brains trying to make sure I don't forget anyone! I was in the grocery store and heard an ad for I-Pass....oh yeah! forgot about them! smack!
This is funny. I never heard that they changed the name of third-class mail to "standard".

Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Just remember some of return to sender might be credit card renewal,it happened to me and account was closed,also some state and county items which might cause problems.
On the credit card I had to do change of address to my daughters home to get card,found it expired when we couldn't pump gas!!

Last edited by DanBev; 03-15-2013 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,184,653 times
The real fun thing is trying to get an address change for someone who has moved. My stepson moved and never turned in a change of address. The post office would not accept the form when I tried to turn it in.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
The real fun thing is trying to get an address change for someone who has moved. My stepson moved and never turned in a change of address. The post office would not accept the form when I tried to turn it in.
You can change his address online.

DanBev: For credit cards and bank statements, if you're afraid that they might not get forwarded on time, switch from paper statements to e-statements. (You can also set up email notifications when your bill is due, when charges of X amounts are charged).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues