U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,551,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I say go for it, in a calculated way. Don't blow the bank and go crazy but get out and see some more of the world. Austin is awesome, Portland probably is too but I don't like the gray, rainiy skies....not for me.

What I know to be true is that when you get somewhere, you will be able to "feel" if it is a place you could live. I always can. No amount of research can really tell you that. I also believe that when we are happy, will will meet people to hang out with and opportunites will artise etc.

I've lived in places where I feel like a fish out of water and others (including where I am) that I love and for me it makes HUGE difference.

Can you get a leave of absence? Could you save up more as a cushion etc. Could you do your job on the road, or find work you can do virtually?

I was pretty dang happy visiting Portland/Vancouver the last few times I visited and explored, but anything other then farking Montana makes me happy at this point, im just so done with this state, the weather, the people, college, football team, etc.... im just so damn over it. Spend 32 years of your life in a single place and you'd feel the same

Its looking like flying down would be a better option all around after I looked at ticket prices. I can get free stay at a hotel near the airport my father stays at for work and gets free points. I can take plenty of paid time off from my current company to go visit for a week or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 PM

15 posts, read 28,390 times
I'd vote for a road trip. Even if it sometimes uncomfortable, you will have great stories and memories for the rest of your life. Also, you'll see the country. Especially if you take the small roads and take lots of detours.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 PM

21,652 posts, read 14,239,850 times
Well, I love Portland, but not because I am a geek. I'm far older than you. And I actually live across the river in Washington state. I recommend planning a bit and taking the time off, if you can afford it. If you are young enough, you can always make the money back that you spend on an extended furlough.

But I'd think of it as giving myself a gift. If everything falls into place, then you'll know you should be where you are. If you don't visit Portland, then you'll never know if it is where you want to live.

Portland and Austin are a similar. Austin is the capital of TX though, and Portland is not. But both cities glory in their "weirdness". The university population in Austin is more pervasive than in Portland. The housing stock in both cities is poor, in general, IMO. Austin is more expensive. There is serious money in that city.

I'd visit PDX and see if it is all you dream it to be. Is there a way you can connect with people of like interests beforehand?

There is a lot of underemployment in Portland, though.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 AM

I've visited several times over the years and three times within the last two areas as well as the Vancouver area and I really liked it. I had good weather amazingly enough on those times so it was even more enjoyable. I have family and friends in that area that can also help me with moving and settling in vs Austin I would be completely alone.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 AM

3,185 posts, read 5,766,975 times
Perhaps you need to start smoking some weed.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 AM

Keep the illegal activity talk outa this thread mkay?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 AM

15,087 posts, read 11,984,476 times
Quote:
I honestly don't know about moving so far away from my family to a big booming IT town like Austin Texas I keep hearing about, but i've never been that far away or alone in my life and the big culture, climate and being alone change might be too much for me to handle. I've always thrived best in my comfort and safety bubble all of my life and I just dunno how far im willing to push that boundry, it might break me and just end up me resulting in loosing a real good paying job that I have now, lose all my savings and end up right back where I started and end up regretting ever taking such a big risk.
Lol! You're not going to Tibet to live in a yurt and drink yaks' milk. You're going to Austin. How uncomfortable and different could it be?
I shucked everything and went to live in two different countries. Those are experiences I will never regret.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,755,842 times
why bother with Austin if you like Portland...

Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 PM

582 posts, read 933,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esdorlamplighter View Post
I'd vote for a road trip. Even if it sometimes uncomfortable, you will have great stories and memories for the rest of your life. Also, you'll see the country. Especially if you take the small roads and take lots of detours.
I totally agree . Anytime I take a road trip I try to take the back roads because I absolutely love the scenery (cows, horses, goats, hundreds of trees, wild flowers, cotton fields, corn fields, dilapidated old farm houses, dogs asleep on front porches, cats asleep under cars, mom-and-pop diners, etc.).

If you don’t take the road trip I can assure with 100% certainty that you will constantly be in a state of woulda-coulda-shoulda. Pick a date, pack your bags, and hit the road already! You’ll never “find yourself” if you never start looking .

Old 03-25-2013, 12:38 PM

15,464 posts, read 13,452,897 times
Why bother with moving; just go travel around the world for a couple of years. Though cities are different in the US, they are not that different, and certainly are not going to invoke any life changing trait in you, unless you have been living in a cave or cornfield, or just are easily influenced.

Go teach English in China or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues