Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times

Advertisements

I liked being in one area. Growing up in one area with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins is better than moving all over. Otherwise I don't think you ever had a home. I moved in my 50's. I like it much better where i live now, but the old place will always be home, even though I have no intention of going back until they bury me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,713 posts, read 58,054,000 times
There are benefits to Growing up in one area with grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins if you are at all close, but you can mitigate that. (Live near when very young and take LONG vacations together)

We moved 5x during kid's EDU (but we homeschooled). Our friends who stayed in Singapore had the BEST success (GREAT multi cultural EDU for their kids who all got FREE Ivy League EDU due to their test and language skills, and now have excellent international jobs).

For HighSchool age, continuity can be helpful (or socially harmful). Our Home schooled kids went to college (For Free) instead of High School.

I would say, you are aware of the issues, so make the best choice for family. International working is VERY taxing on your time, not likely you will be home much, BUT with the correct duties you can have a great time traveling regionally with your family.

Kids are VERY resilient. Parents, not so much.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,672,411 times
As a kid that was constantly moving I would say it was hard on me. I would have much preferred to be in one place throughout my youth...

Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I would think for a family with kids, I wouldn't be moving too much around. It can be really hard to make new friends etc. If its just you and a spouse and can afford it, why not? Would be neat to live in new places and see/try new things..

Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Hi,

I don't have a family yet, but would like to start one in the near future.
I am a HW design engineer living in the Silicon Valley. As a single person I have relocated several times, I lived in 4 different countries so far. I always rented and was single, so it was easy to relocate.

My dilemma is:
a) should I stay for the rest of my life in the SV where the most job liquidity is in my professional area, and which place seems crowded/noisy and overpriced to me?
b) should I move to a smaller place like Austin/TX or Hillsboro/OR where it would be quieter and more affordable, but which place only has one suitable employer within hundreds or thousands of miles radius?

If I choose b then possibly every 5-10 years I would have to move to another similar place, possibly to another state. Even if I compromise the professional level of my work, there would only be 2-3 suitable jobs instead of 1-2 in a given location. In the SV there are maybe 8-9.
I heard many American families move around the country several times during their lifetimes.
How does it effect the way of life of a family? How does it feel that your home is replaced every 5-10 years and you will never see it again? Young children growing up would have difficulties I would think.
How difficult is it to buy/sell a house every 5-10 years? Any high cost associated with this?
Is it worth it?
What are your experiences with moving around the country with a family?
Good questions and it's very nice that you're thinking about these things well in advance. I commend you!

I am a former military brat, then spouse, and now the mother of three kids who have chosen life in the military.

Before I was thirteen years old, I had attended 9 schools in 8 years. I had lived in:

New Orleans
Knoxville, TN
San Francisco, CA
Yokohama, Japan
Groveport, Ohio
Norfolk, VA
Newport News, VA
Fayetteville, NC
Phenix City, AL
Columbus, GA
Fortson, GA

Overall, I LOVED the experiences! My parents always made a very conscious effort to make sure we relished every positive of every place we moved. That meant lots of exploring, lots of museums, camping trips, beach trips, B and Bs, trying out new foods, etc etc.

I am not going to lie to you - changing schools can be tough. I honestly think that doing this much moving about fundamentally changed my personality. I am naturally a bookworm and not overly sociable - sort of middle of the road when it comes to extroversion but perfectly content to be by myself for long periods of time, reading or researching things, or working on art projects, etc. But - I remember very clearly realizing at about age 7 that if I didn't "make my mark" when we changed states, or towns, or communities, then no one would ever even remember that I had been there. I would not have friends if I didn't really push myself to make friends.

So I pushed. I forced myself to reach out, connect, get involved, join things, etc. It was a very conscious, deliberate decision and it pushed me out of my comfort zone till I got the hang of it. By about the third or fourth grade I was an expert at entering a new environment filled with strangers, and fitting in, making friends, etc.

Honestly, I'm not bragging, but that takes a lot of inner strength for a child to do, if that child isn't naturally extroverted.

That ability, though initially difficult to embody, became an integral part of my personality and played a huge role in my life as an adult. I became very successful in outside sales, as well as becoming a corporate trainer and a public speaker for a very large international company. When I got tired of the corporate world, I did very well as a realtor, because I can instantly "connect with" and "relate to" a wide variety of types of people.

Now that I'm able to stay home rather than work (due largely to my husband's job, which makes this easy for us financially, but also makes it more desirable for me to be home when he's home since so much of his work takes him out of state), I find that I have reverted back to what I believe is my "truer" personality. I'm a homebody, a reader, back to solitary projects and fewer social dealings. I mean, I'm involved in my community via some volunteer work, but I'm no longer "Front and Center" and never want to be again.

My parents did many things right during my childhood regarding all our moving and the one thing I am especially grateful for is that they did allow my brothers and me to attend only one school during high school. That was terrific. I still enjoy my friendships with several people from high school, even though I moved from that area in my early twenties.

Here is a poem that I wrote about the many moves during my childhood. My mother doesn't like this poem, but when I read it to my dad, he literally started crying and told me that he had never had any idea how us kids felt, because we always seemed so happy and excited about moving. I told him, "I WAS excited about each place we lived, because you and Mom made sure we were always doing something fun and interesting and that made me really appreciate each place. But this IS a part of how I felt - I just didn't know how to tell you at the time."

(No one has permission to copy any part of this poem without my permission, by the way. Thanks.)

Goodbye Me

Foggy rear window,
Cold black vinyl.
I live dangerously, slipping from the bite of the belt.
I rest my small chin on the scratchy surface
And frantically clear the glass.
We begin to move.

“Goodbye, house,†my parents call out cheerfully.
“Goodbye, lake! Goodbye, Newport News!
Goodbye, Virginia!â€
My father bursts into jovial, Bob Hope song:
“Thanks…for the memories…â€
My mother, without a backward glance,
Dons her glasses and opens a magazine.

My starving eyes gobble up the driveway
And feast upon the bricks, the shutters,
The windows…the windows…
The surprised house stares back
Like a mother deserted.
Empty of all.
Empty of me.
Empty me.

My little yellow room will not welcome me again.
My cheeks won’t press against that plush carpet.
No more warm feet down the cool, dark hall.
My hair will not float like seaweed above me
In that deep, shining tub.

The car picks up speed and the road curves.
With centrifugal force, the house is torn from my grasp.
Kerry Lake, Kerry Lake Drive,
5-1-5 Kerry Lake Drive – how I loved the cadence of it.
But now the song tilts off center
And rolls in my heart like a discordant chorus of drums.

No sweet smelling, tanned and tousled comrades
Will turn that corner calling my name ever again.
They are still asleep in their little beds
In their familiar, happy houses,
Fringed eyes shut, blonde lashes traced against freckled cheeks,
Slow breaths from deep within…
I breathe with them, one last time,
And my breath fogs the window.

In a panic, I rub the cold glass.
My mind screams, “I will never be here again! I am gone – I am gone!â€
No parades line the curb.
No flags at half mast in the schoolyard.
No importance to my leaving. I’m just passing through.

We turn onto the highway and my parents chirp together,
“Buckle up, kiddos!â€
The familiar weight of resignation falls upon me.
I turn in the seat and restrain myself.
My brother sighs and we steal a glance at each other,
Then quickly, quickly turn away.
If one of us begins to cry, will we ever be able to stop?
Push it down, close it up, leave it behind, look ahead.
Chin up.

My gaze burns the black vinyl expanse in front of me.
My nostrils flare with each hot, measured breath.
Impotent energy surges through my small body
And fills the confining space.
“Kathryn!†my mother exclaims, turning her regal head
And arching one perfect eyebrow above the sleek glasses,
“Stop kicking the back of this seat!â€

Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Kathryn, what a wonderful albeit bittersweet poem. I think all military brats could relate!

I was a very introspective child, not outgoing at all -- I had a few very close friends but wasn't interested in being really popular ('til high school when I made cheerleader ... typical teenager then). As an adult my disposition is pretty much like it was when I was a child, but now I can appreciate the autonomy and resilience that being a military brat gave me (or at least, I attribute those things to all those travels).

I think most kids would be fine moving around a lot. I will admit that when I was in high school I was jealous of the kids whose parents and grandparents and in many cases great-grandparents had all grown up in that same town. There IS something to be said for that kind of stability, although stability can come in other forms as well.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Kathryn, what a wonderful albeit bittersweet poem. I think all military brats could relate!

I was a very introspective child, not outgoing at all -- I had a few very close friends but wasn't interested in being really popular ('til high school when I made cheerleader ... typical teenager then). As an adult my disposition is pretty much like it was when I was a child, but now I can appreciate the autonomy and resilience that being a military brat gave me (or at least, I attribute those things to all those travels).

I think most kids would be fine moving around a lot. I will admit that when I was in high school I was jealous of the kids whose parents and grandparents and in many cases great-grandparents had all grown up in that same town. There IS something to be said for that kind of stability, although stability can come in other forms as well.
Thank you very much!

I have mixed feelings about moving around so much - but mostly positive feelings. I am tempted sometimes to be jealous of those with more stability, but then I ask myself, "Which place would I have preferred to grow up in, among all those places I lived? If I had to choose only one, or choose to have enjoyed all of them, what would be my choice?"

I have to say that I would rather have moved around a lot and experienced all that we did, than to have grown up in any one of those places. I loved something about each place, each school, each "best friend" I had over the years. I can't imagine not having those memories.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 PM

812 posts, read 1,908,040 times
I loved moving around as a child. We have been in the same place now for 7 years and both my children were born here. We are moving overseas this summer and all of us are excited. But we don't live with grandparents, cousins, or have a tight knit family. We do have a few family members here but our social life and activities do not revolve around them.

I am good at finding friends thru mommy groups online, daycare, school volunteering etc... people that I actually have things in common with and actually like because I want too!

I feel that not living in the same place all of my life has given me wings. I am not afraid to try new things or places. I do not have that mentality of same beach vacation every year, same schools my parents attended, and every Sunday lunch after church at Grandma's. I think that would make me crazy! Everyone in my business etc...I see that with so many local families here! My extended relatives that never left have limited job opportunities but they won't leave their parents and take better paying jobs/promotions in other cities even 1 hr away! So they complain about having no money.

We have always taken our kids on vacations to other countries and places far away so their eyes have been open to the "world" and all the different environments. They keep bugging us as to why we haven't moved yet. Which comes to my next negative--- HOUSING! We can't afford to sell our home. We bought at the top and it hasn't recovered here yet. We are going to rent it out while we are gone for the next year and probably rent when we return to the States in whatever town we end up in after this project!

If I could For Sale By Owner I could afford to sell but if I have to pay a realtor I lose a lot of my original down payment so fortunately we can wait it out a bit. Not upside down but will lose $ either way.

Some kids have flexible personalities and others really take comfort in a very routine lifestyle until they come along it is very difficult to make that guess. Your spouse could have very close ties to family and refuse to leave etc...guess that would be an important thing to discuss before marriage! Having family to help with kids does have some pluses if you can agree on parenting styles!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM

414 posts, read 1,020,109 times
I moved a lot as a kid all the way through high school- 7 times total in 17 years. I think I mostly benefited from it- my parents would always make an effort to explore and enjoy our new location. Finding and making new friends was hard (especially in rural Alabama), but it's a good skill to learn. The hardest move was after my Junior year of high school, but I got over it and ended up a stronger person.

I think the biggest benefit is that it helps you understand that the world is a wide place and that one perspective can't explain everything. Where I'm at now, it's pretty obvious that the majority of people haven't left the local area- not a bad thing, but their experience and perspective is limited. I also feel a bit more self-sufficient than I otherwise would if I'd stayed in the same place.

Overall I think it'd be good for your (future) children. Just make sure to help them make the most of every location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues