Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 06:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,715 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm 21 and I graduate this August. I currently live in Florida- I grew up here- but I have never been smitten with it by any stretch of the imagination. I recoil at the thought of settling down and living here for an extended period of time. I have a few friends who, as I am considering doing, just picked up and moved to a different part of the country without having found a job or a place there first. So far it has worked for them.

I would love to live in a more walkable city with a cooler climate, and those are not things you will find in Florida. Places like Baltimore appeal to me a lot, although I know moving directly to the city would be too expensive. I guess my question is, um, how stupid would this be? I've always been kind of a "go-getter" lol, but of course I understand that the logistics of moving are not simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:16 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,694,582 times
Hubby and I moved in our 20's for similar reasons. We were tired of AZ and started applying for jobs around the country. Ended up just outside of nyc and loved it.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:34 AM

488 posts, read 854,180 times
You're young, without any kind of ties, and just about to begin your career. It's probably the best time of all to find a new place.

Urban areas are not always more expensive. It depends on the city. St. Louis, for example, it can be a lot cheaper to be in the city (yes, even the good parts of the city) than the suburbs. Research areas that appeal to you and go for it. I recommend having a cushion so you can get an apartment while you look for a job (even better if you can line one up before you leave) but if you know you don't want to live in Florida, you should go for it.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:00 PM

51,619 posts, read 25,691,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raw12d View Post
Hi! I'm 21 and I graduate this August. I currently live in Florida- I grew up here- but I have never been smitten with it by any stretch of the imagination. I recoil at the thought of settling down and living here for an extended period of time. I have a few friends who, as I am considering doing, just picked up and moved to a different part of the country without having found a job or a place there first. So far it has worked for them.

I would love to live in a more walkable city with a cooler climate, and those are not things you will find in Florida. Places like Baltimore appeal to me a lot, although I know moving directly to the city would be too expensive. I guess my question is, um, how stupid would this be? I've always been kind of a "go-getter" lol, but of course I understand that the logistics of moving are not simple.
Logistics aren't that difficult.

Hustle on down to several temp employment agencies and get registered. You particularly want to focus on those that have branch offices in places you think you might want to live. Learn what skills will be immediately marketable, what they are often looking for that might be a good fit...

In any case, get this figured out because this could be a way to support yourself until you find the place you want to live and the job/career you want to pursue. Also, many companies now hire almost exclusively through such employment agencies. It's a way to try out potential employees.

As to your stuff, give it away. Travel light.

Good luck.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:34 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,577,534 times
OP, since you are from FL, I will recommend that you not come all the way up North until you've had time to visit, esp. during the winter. Instead, let me recommend that you start your research with Nashville, TN. The economy is good in some sectors and the climate is a bit cooler but without the -10 winters.

TN is a multi-state move but not as far as Maryland. You might also want to look at Raleigh, NC.

I've had co-workers who've moved to Des Moines from FL, who had never been through one of our winters. One adjusted quite well but others were very unhappy. That's why I would recommend that your first move be somewhere like TN or NC. It's far enough to be "different" but there's a lot of things in common with FL.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:16 AM

149 posts, read 186,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raw12d View Post

I moved from Texas to Seattle WA area 12 years ago. I have a brother in Montana and that was basically my excuse for doing it. I transferred to an office in Tacoma so employment was covered. I did this at 48 years of age after my son was on his own and secure.

Well, I have to admit, it was probably the WORST decision of my life. I have never gotten used to the rain, gray skies and snarky people of the Pacific NW.

Biggest mistake of my adult life. I am retiring and returning to Fort Worth in December 2015 and I literally will kiss the ground when I get to Texas.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:22 AM

404 posts, read 902,700 times
I moved to Breckenridge, Colorado on a whim at age 19 with no job lined up and less than 3k in savings and survived just fine. Do it, you won't regret it.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:38 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,577,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
I moved to Breckenridge, Colorado on a whim at age 19 with no job lined up and less than 3k in savings and survived just fine. Do it, you won't regret it.
Sorry, today's economy is much different. For example, it can take 3 or more weeks to get a minimum wage job, due to drug testing and other screening, if you can even get interviewed in the first place. Many companies have "ghost" jobs posted: they are trying to show they are doing well but they aren't and those ads are fake.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:10 AM

404 posts, read 902,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Sorry, today's economy is much different. For example, it can take 3 or more weeks to get a minimum wage job, due to drug testing and other screening, if you can even get interviewed in the first place. Many companies have "ghost" jobs posted: they are trying to show they are doing well but they aren't and those ads are fake.
I moved out there 4 years ago, I doubt much has changed.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:57 AM

204 posts, read 290,563 times
I'm also from Florida and counting down the days until I leave. I've wanted to move for years... but I knew I needed work experience before that could happen. After my brother moved to Seattle two years ago (with a great job), I was very close to packing up and moving out there myself (except with no job.) However, I was too scared and backed out at the last minute. I regret that decision every day. Florida is my comfort zone, where I grew up, where I have friends. Finally, as I near turning 30, I'm moving to NYC. I don't have any job prospects just yet, but plan on applying as it gets a closer to the move (November.) I'm waiting for my license to be approved so that I'll be marketable in my field for work (social work) and have a better chance of at least securing some interviews before I leave. I also have money saved, so if I can't find a job, I can still support myself for almost a year.

Are you currently working? What are you getting your degree in? Do you have any money saved? Do you have a car? Any student loans you'll have to pay back? Obviously, as most people will suggest, try to get a job or an internship prior to you moving. That's the best case scenario. If you want to be crazy like me, save up as much as you can and just go. Yes, you risk losing money, but what you may get in return in something so much greater. I'm staying in an Airbnb to start off, so that I won't be locked into any type of lease (not like I could get an apartment in NYC without a job anyway.) Where in Florida do you live? There's a good chance it will take you some time to find a job living here too, so unless you can stay with family rent free, you're going to be in the same situation here as you would be if you were to move.

Have you visited any of the cities that you are thinking of moving to? Don't listen to people when they tell you not to move because the job market sucks. The days of walking into a store and getting hired immediately are long gone. You might have to settle and take a job that you don't love, but will pay the bills. You're young and don't have any children, so now is the time to move. Don't be like me and wait until you're almost 30 to finally do something for yourself. In some ways, I'm glad I waited because I was able to gain a lot of experience and save money... two things I did not have when I was 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues