Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 PM

7 posts, read 89,783 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided to move back to our hometown to be close to family and better cost of living.

My husband's job can be done remotely. I am job hunting for either a work from home job (preference for better pay) or job in town we will move to 2 hours away (large pay cut). Currently I am talking to 3 companies I've applied with.

The complication is figuring out what comes first - selling the house or me finding a different job. We would just barely scrap by on my husband's income alone while still owning our current house, so we would have to move once I quite my job.

Should we:
1. Put the house on the market now. If it sells before I find a job, I'll put my notice in at work, and we will move and rent or live with family until I find employment
2. Wait until I have a job secured and hope that the house sells before I have to start my new job, and try to coordinate buying our next house at same time.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:59 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,369,902 times
We are in a similar situation. We put our house on the market. If/when it sells, I will quit my job. I will continue a job search. We have a significant enough savings that it could be used should we need it to make up the lack of my salary for at least a year.

Do you have savings that could help cover any gaps while you look for a new job? With the lower cost of living make it easier to get by on your husband's salary for at least a little bit?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:00 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,528,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerd View Post
The complication is figuring out what comes first - selling the house or me finding a different job.
Selling the house comes first.

Until you know exactly how much cash you'll have to leave with...
everything else is a pipe dream.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
We are in a similar situation. We put our house on the market. If/when it sells, I will quit my job. I will continue a job search. We have a significant enough savings that it could be used should we need it to make up the lack of my salary for at least a year.

Do you have savings that could help cover any gaps while you look for a new job? With the lower cost of living make it easier to get by on your husband's salary for at least a little bit?
We have about $4k in savings, expect to make $8-10k during sell of home, and yes, we could live on husband's salary due to the lower cost of living, but it wouldn't be the same level of lifestyle we're accustomed too.

I think the house needs to go on the market, but my husband is convinced I need a job offer before we sell the house.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:39 PM
R2F

26 posts, read 84,937 times
Similar situation here... I work virtually, wife is a teacher, have a house to sell, and are relocating 1800 miles away.

Our plan of attack was to meet with a Realtor and determine what price would move the house in a reasonable timeframe, and to attempt to define that timeframe. Then we were going to list it so that the possible closing date would coincide with our move. Meanwhile my wife started looking for work, hoping to land a job for the next school year.

So it looked like this:
Sell house March - June
Wife applies for work April - May (but wouldn't really start until August)
Start looking for places in April/May for a June availability date (renting our first year)
Move June 28th come hell or high water

We accepted that if the house took longer to sell, we'd be making the payments in the meantime, which isn't ideal, but it is feasible.

All that said, almost nothing really worked as planned. We had a timing issue with the lien from the second mortgage getting released so now we don't really have time to sell. We will be renting this house out the first year (luckily we already have someone lined up). My wife is applying for jobs but it's slow-going. Waiting on school districts to list positions is a tricky situation and we could find ourselves in the middle of Summer still looking. Her backup plan is to sub. Most of the rental properties will not even talk to us until we are within 30 days of the move date, so that narrows that window a bit for us. Oh an the move date had to be bumped up a bit to ensure that some of my stuff would be grandfathered under some new gun control laws.

Long story short: Make a plan, be prepared to be flexible, and have a backup plan just in case things drag out a bit. It's a lot to coordinate and there's no easy answer. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,409,322 times
We are moving from Alaska to Michigan in a months time, hubby has a job lined up in Michigan, we have the truck booked and have started packing and now his son who wanted to buy the family home from us has gone cold, he isn't even communicating with us and is posting weird status updates on f/b about pain and loss. Hes a 32yr old ex-marine so not exactly an abandoned child.
We were planning to rent when we got to Mi until we found somewhere suitable to buy and have savings for this. So now we have the problem of renting the house out or going through the whole selling thing from the start ... i could scream !!!
With hindsight I would definitely say make sure you have a buyer for your home before setting the final date, we are now faced with renting or finding a buyer for our home from 3,500 miles away.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,652,425 times
I would definitely put the house on the market now. You don't know how long it will take to sell. Moving is stressful on a marriage, you will have many disagreements about what and how you should do things.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,457,342 times
I would sell the house first. If you do line up a job they won't hold it open for months while you hope for a buyer.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:12 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,760,709 times
Sell the house first. We moved 400 miles away last year. We didnt look for jobs until we were here full time. Yes, we were lucky that we were able to buy a house in the new place and also live on our savings for a little while. We had three homes to sell and the one that was in contract first, was the last one to close as the first buyers backed out on the day before the closing!! So that was delayed by 5 months. Our own home sold very quickly.

Once I started looking for work, I had a job within 2 weeks.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:08 AM

Update: we decided to go ahead and put the house on market, and we got 3 offers after a week. Fingers crossed that our counter offer is accepted today. Still on the job hunt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues