U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 04:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,254,777 times

Advertisements

Yes, we did it twice. Once when we were in our early 20's and immigrated from Ireland to NY. The second time we did it last year, no jobs, two kids and a dog.

Fast forward to one year later ; our kids are so so happy living here, they love their school. I found a job two weeks after i started looking and my dh still has to find work. Luckily we are ok financially, but still it was nervewrecking to look back and actually think about what we did.

We have absolutely no regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,195 times
Im trying to get brave enough to do it !! Im just deciding where..I say Go for it!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,898,682 times
We did, but my DH has school on the GI bill which paid our housing and a work plan, also family to stay with until we found a place. We loathed where we lived. It's good to have a little plan though. Good luck to you.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,868,617 times
I've done it a few times and I'm about to do it again. I'm trying to hold off till August or September but I'm out of here. If I stay much longer in Dallas I'll end up changing destinations...again, lol. I won't have the money saved up that I originally planned on, so I'm just going to unload more items than I was originally going to keep. Hopefully I can sell everything on CL, but so far, not having much luck.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 20,367 times
I have 2 kids which is why I haven't done this move yet .. if it was just me, I'd be more likely to take the risk. I have friends and family in Jupiter, and I lived in Jupiter for 1 1/2 years when I was younger, but I know that area may be too expensive for me so I need to look at surrounding cities. Hoping I have enough money to convince someone to rent to me when I finally move because I have no credit history! Ugh

Old 06-13-2013, 09:40 AM

34,381 posts, read 41,471,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerchild002 View Post
I know, another "I want to move to Florida thread", but seriously, after living in west Michigan for the past 20+ years with 9 months of cold, unending cloudy days, lots of snow, rain, icy roads and sidewalks to slip on, my boyfriend and I have been talking about moving to someplace in Florida for the past 5 years. We're barely surviving here,
If thats how you feel about where you are at by all means move. however you may be just trading one set of problems for another set of problems. do much homework before making the move.Go to the Florida section and do lots of reading.check Craigslist for any area you might be interested in as its a good resource for jobs and prices of just about everything including rents.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:12 PM

6,071 posts, read 8,369,546 times
I did, but I had money saved. I wasn't up for living in my car or eating off the dollar menu everyday. I guess it depends how bad you want to move and what you're willing to risk to make it happen.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 PM

169 posts, read 363,321 times
My husband and in(both under 30, no kids) quit outer jobs and sold our house in PA. We were sick of long, cold winters and wanted to move to an area with a better quality of life. It was the scariest thing we ever did. We've been in Greenville, SC for a year. We found jobs. we're not making the money we used to but we're living off of less and enjoying life more. Everything worked out just fine and we view life, change, and stability much different now. We feel liberated. Moving is no longer scary. When our lease is up we are moving 3 hours further south to a beach town. We're hoping we love it enough to settle in and call it home.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:18 PM

42 posts, read 118,050 times
I did. But I was much younger and didn't have a job where I was moving from. It was the best decision I ever made!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 101,205 times
So I've just done the same thing, from Michigan to Florida. I packed up my entire family, husband, 3 kids, mother that I'm taking care of, dogs, and moved to Florida with no job lined up. This is not the first time I've done this and I'm not reckless or irresponsible. I'm actually a very cautious person and we live on a very limited income as well. If you need a change, then take the risk and do it. What we did is saved our taxes one year, did not spend a penny. You want to have anywhere from 2-3 months of expenses saved up in addition to the cost of moving in case you do not get a job right away. I started applying for jobs and contacting staffing agencies about a month - month and a half before our move. I flew down there a month before our move for a week to find a home. And other than that, once you get down there you really need to spend a lot of time searching for a job, networking, pursuing any means of any incoming income to help support the family until everything stabilizes. It can be done and it is scary when you have less than ideal circumstances but I personally do not want the fear of 'what if's' to cripple me. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues