Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,072,987 times

Advertisements

I quit my job and moved in January, with no job to go to and no place to live (except at my daughter's). But I went in the opposite direction as you. I moved back to Michigan. Michigan is home. It will always be home. When I was gone (for about 6 years) I missed the snow, the change in seasons, and the cool weather.

Personally, Florida is one of the last places I'd want to live, but that's just me. Good luck in your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 12:45 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,794,401 times
I can understand moving if you are living in a place with high cost of living like someone stated in Bahamas but this is not the case for the OP.
I have lived in both FL and MI. First MI does not have 9 months of bad weather. Yes winters are long and last from mid Nov to April but the spring/summer/fall is much nicer then FL weather. I am always cold but FL is so humid you can't breath. Also for a safe place compared to MI that is going to cost a lt more $. FL is very seasonal in terms of jobs and off season summer months people get hours cut and they don't hire as many people. I know people with college degrees working customer service jobs because they can't get a job in the line of work they are in.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:23 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,218,706 times
The grass is always greener...I moved to Florida, and disliked it. I did not like the bugs, the heat, the crowded environment, the expense, I could go on and on...Yes, it was pretty. I had a good job. I just decided that it did not "fit" me, like a pair of shoes, that just kept rubbing the wrong way...I moved, and feel so much better. I like fresh, crisp air...cooler temps. I even don't mind snow any more.

So, go...see if you like it. You can always go back...Some people, embrace it all, and love it there. I just felt out of place.

I will say this, change is something that I think is good, especially moving. I lived in a place, for many years, that was pretty miserable. I had bad memories, ran into people I wished I had not, the whole thing was bad. When I moved, it was like a major catharsis, and completely a good move for me, mentally, physically, and emotionally. So, sometimes, you just need a change. Just because Florida did not work for me, does not mean that it was not a positive move. It really was. It helped clarify things to me, and was very much a good time. I did feel like it was a vacation for me, not a place I wanted to stay forever. But, while it was not going to be my home, moving there was a good opportunity to experience a completely different type of life. I wish you the best.

Last edited by jasper12; 06-24-2013 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: edit.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 PM

10,246 posts, read 13,758,456 times
Moving without a job is never a good idea.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,667,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Moving without a job is never a good idea.
Nonsense. Many of us have done it with no problem. If you're smart about it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Clinging to a false sense of security is never a good idea. No job is perfectly secure, and you have nothing to gain in life playing everything safe. You can't take anything with you.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Nonsense. Many of us have done it with no problem. If you're smart about it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Clinging to a false sense of security is never a good idea. No job is perfectly secure, and you have nothing to gain in life playing everything safe. You can't take anything with you.
You call moving somewhere with no job smart? I agree that no job is perfectly secure, but to give up your only source of income to take a chance at something is never a good idea. Suck it up and find a new job before you move.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,667,410 times
Quote:
You call moving somewhere with no job smart? I agree that no job is perfectly secure, but to give up your only source of income to take a chance at something is never a good idea. Suck it up and find a new job before you move.
It's not dumb. Getting a job prior to a move is not an option for most of us. If you are not in a particular field, you aren't going to get hired from out of state. I've been hung up on countless times on phone interviews as soon as they hear i'm from out of state or I get a "call us when you get here" then they hang up. No hiring manager in their right mind is going to take a chance on someone from out of state if there are plenty of candidates to choose from locally. And their usually are. It makes no sense to take such a chance. You'd know this if you moved, but you apparently don't, which makes one wonder why you are in here. I'd venture a guess there is a certain level of envy. That's the only rational explanation.
If people followed your logic, there would be very few transplants. You're afraid, and that's fine, but don't come in here and tell people they are stupid for being brave, embracing life and taking chances. You can live your life in fear, some of us choose not to. Quiting a job isn't the end of the world. Some of us work to live. Not live to work.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,962,128 times
Quote:
I hear this all the time, but not everyone has the option of finding a job before they move and staying in a situation you have no hope of ever changing and hate isn't smart either. I'm NOT saying it's smart to move without a job lined up, but it is doable. Getting a job out of state if you are working a low paying hourly position is near impossible, unless you work for a large chain that is willing to transfer you. If if you have a decent paying office job making 35k-50k you probably aren't going to find a company willing to take a chance on someone across the country when they have local candidates available.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
It's not dumb. Getting a job prior to a move is not an option for most of us. If you are not in a particular field, you aren't going to get hired from out of state. I've been hung up on countless times on phone interviews as soon as they hear i'm from out of state or I get a "call us when you get here" then they hang up. No hiring manager in their right mind is going to take a chance on someone from out of state if there are plenty of candidates to choose from locally. And their usually are. It makes no sense to take such a chance. You'd know this if you moved, but you apparently don't, which makes one wonder why you are in here. I'd venture a guess there is a certain level of envy. That's the only rational explanation.
If people followed your logic, there would be very few transplants. You're afraid, and that's fine, but don't come in here and tell people they are stupid for being brave, embracing life and taking chances. You can live your life in fear, some of us choose not to. Quiting a job isn't the end of the world. Some of us work to live. Not live to work.
I have moved from out of state so obviously someone took a chance on me and didn't have an inbred mentality that nobody moves to other states. To point out the second bolded point, look at what was written above. Yes, I have moved from one state to another.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,094,232 times
Quote:

I've done it three times in my life: from one continent to another in 1979, and then twice within the US.
In each case I did have some marketable skills, and a small cushion of savings and in each case I found work very quickly.

Actually more than three times if you count from one city to another within the same state many many miles apart, but same deal.

It should be noted that each of those times I had no major financial encumbrances, children, nor the need to make a very high salary.

Also I live in Michigan now and Florida would seem like a horrible move. Michiganders seem to gravitate to Florida like lemmings. If the only other requirement is sun and warmer weather, why not some place with a lower COL and better job opportunities, like southern Oklahoma or Texas or the Carolinas or someplace like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues