U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,561,503 times

Advertisements

Back in the day when the economy was better one could find a job easier then now. If a person was in a state and did not have employment there and wanted to move it would be different but to leave a job I dont think is a smart idea unless you have a lot of savings.
How happy will you be in any state if you can't make ends meet or have to live with very little?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 AM

5,679 posts, read 5,909,679 times
I did it and it has been the best decision of my life. Make sure your debts are paid. Happy freedom!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,855,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Back in the day when the economy was better one could find a job easier then now. If a person was in a state and did not have employment there and wanted to move it would be different but to leave a job I dont think is a smart idea unless you have a lot of savings.
How happy will you be in any state if you can't make ends meet or have to live with very little?
The problem people have with job hunting in a new city is they hold out for certain jobs or consider certain jobs "beneath" them. If you have this mentality, then yes, you'll have a problem. I don't have this problem. Check your ego at the door. Take a job to get an income and then look for the job you want.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:23 PM

7,672 posts, read 8,971,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
The problem people have with job hunting in a new city is they hold out for certain jobs or consider certain jobs "beneath" them. If you have this mentality, then yes, you'll have a problem. I don't have this problem. Check your ego at the door. Take a job to get an income and then look for the job you want.
People don't think the jobs are beneath them as much as they realize it is completely stupid to move somewhere and take a major pay cut. What's the point of moving if you won't better yourself 100%. I agree that money isn't everything, but if you're going to do something as major as a move you should at least make sure that it will pay for itself.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:31 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,855,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
People don't think the jobs are beneath them as much as they realize it is completely stupid to move somewhere and take a major pay cut. What's the point of moving if you won't better yourself 100%. I agree that money isn't everything, but if you're going to do something as major as a move you should at least make sure that it will pay for itself.
It's not stupid to take a pay cut to be in a place you want to be. What an absurd notion. If you are unhappy with where you are at, then you have to make sacrifices, like a pay cut to find a place you want to be. And the pay cut doesn't have to be permanent, its only temporary. Apparently money is everything to you, because that has been your only argument thus far. Saying otherwise doesn't make it not true. Not everyone is chained to material items.
The point of moving it to experience new things, meet new people, and for many of us, to change our situation. The only thing stupid, is staying somewhere you are unhappy with, all because of a paycheck. THAT is stupid.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:42 PM

3,048 posts, read 6,561,503 times
Quote:
It's not stupid to take a pay cut to be in a place you want to be. What an absurd notion. If you are unhappy with where you are at, then you have to make sacrifices, like a pay cut to find a place you want to be. And the pay cut doesn't have to be permanent, its only temporary. Apparently money is everything to you, because that has been your only argument thus far. Saying otherwise doesn't make it not true. Not everyone is chained to material items.
The point of moving it to experience new things, meet new people, and for many of us, to change our situation. The only thing stupid, is staying somewhere you are unhappy with, all because of a paycheck. THAT is stupid.
To an extent money is not everything but if you are broke to where it could end up in a homeless situation that one needs to be realistic. This OP said she is on disability and her significant other makes 7 dollars an hour. That they are barely making it where they live. Moving to another state takes money and the OP does not have that from the sounds of it. So take that into account plus the time off during the job search and the extra expenses of being in a new place such as deposits for a place, car issues etc I don't see how this could work.
There is a difference in giving up some material items so you can move to a better state and just not having the resources.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM

7,672 posts, read 8,971,544 times
Quote:
This isn't about being "chained to material items" but about having money to survive. Money isn't anything, however anyone who has ever paid their own bills knows that you need money to live. I agree that you should get out of a situation if you are unhappy, but you don't do anything stupid. You do your homework, you research, and most importantly, make sure you are actually going to permanently better your situation instead of just running away from your problems.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:52 PM

1 posts, read 962 times
We are All GIVEN one life to live and it's better to have died knowing you love the life You lived i resided in the Bahamas for 5 years Also. IT IS VERY expensive bec food clothes ex. 5.00 a gallon gas average light 300 monthly Tropicana juice 4.96 per box and the minimum wage never increases. But for More than one reason i left to be closer.to My relatives in the usa also living in the usa it is easier for me to enroll in school and the cost of living here i s much cheaper. But moving is never easy you become accustomed to your way of life at present. If the reason for moving is progression in your life then by all means go for it. I am loving every Day of my decision to move and because of this i have no regrets. I resigned from my full time job at a clinic to further my education and to live a better quality of life. There are no regrets in my decision. When you are strong enough to make your move then you will realize that you will be strong enough to overcome everything that comes with it. But remember to plan because every successful operation legal or illegal involved some kind of planning.......

Pardon my poor grammar i am blogging on a mobile phone

Old 12-27-2013, 06:40 AM

80 posts, read 183,726 times
I've moved across country twice with very little to my name. However, I did have friends to stay with until I got on my own 2 feet. I'm now at a point where I'm ready to pick up and move to another state. I have friends there, but I plan on finding an apartment before moving down. This time I'm moving with 2 cats and money in the bank. I'm fortunate now because I have a pt job and receive disability... I'm frugal and aggressively save as much as I can. I don't have a job lined up where I'm moving to, but I'll have more of opportunities to find something in my career there than I have been able to currently.

If you can swing it, move. I've never had regrets and I've always landed on my feet.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:41 PM

5,679 posts, read 5,909,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I did it and it has been the best decision of my life. Make sure your debts are paid. Happy freedom!
I was certainly in a better place when I wrote this post. Lol! Hopefully 2014 will prove to be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues