Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 AM

84 posts, read 216,006 times

Advertisements

Hello, anyone who have experience with moving, please give me some advice on my situation. Thank you so much.

We are a family of 3 Adult (no children). Problem is, none of us have a car, and none of us have driver liscense. We plan to move about 60 miles away to an apartment in a different city/county.
We thinking of hire moving companies. But, since we do not have a car, and none of us drive, we want to go together in the moving truck companies, since we also want to keep an eye on our stuff.
It is possible to goes along in the same truck of the moving companies? We don't feel comfortable to let them drive all our stuff without us being there.
What other choices to I have?
Renting UHaul is cheaper, but they don't provide drivers, and we cannot drive.

Any inputs is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 04:32 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
No! You cannot ride in the back of the truck. Hire a driver to take you to the new city. Give some out of work person $50 and gas money to do it.

Someone is sure to ask so I will. Why no license?

Old 04-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Thank you, I know I cannot ride in the back of the truck.
But I thought some big truck, they let like another passenger in the front seat with the driver. Or is truck driver just only allow 1 driver in the front?

No license, because we can't afford car and car issurance. We very poor and live in apartment, our budget with rents and bills is pretty much all of our income. My parents they are old, and I have little walking disability problems with my legs.
Where we live, we always take public transportation bus to get around.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:05 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
Where do you think the other guy that is moving the furniture going to sit? It is only a one hour move. You are over thinking this. Let the truck go on its own. Your stuff will be ok. Find someone to drive the 3 of you.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:58 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
It seems to me it would not be difficult to find someone to legally drive you; it's barely an hour - 60 miles - away.

Friends? Family? Craigslist? Work associates?
Surely you can find someone who can give you a couple of hours of driving back and forth. Or hire someone.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,433 times
Heck, I'd drive you if you were within driving distance from me.

Yea... there are plenty of options... just get creative ;-)

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 PM

To be exact we want to move from Pomona, California to Huntington Beach, California. Not really of 60 miles, about 45-50 miles I think. And it will be heaven for me if I can move out of Pomona, as the neighborhood right now I am in is bad, and the neighbors is bad too.

I really not have any friends here, friends when I was in school, now they all have their family to take care, and I don't want to bother them. We here in USA not really have family, just us.

Maybe I should try Craigslist.
I was thinking of hire UHaul truck, since our family don't have much stuff. Just few boxes, a bed, few old TVs, computer and computer tables, clothes, two sofa, dinner table, a microwave, cooking dishes stuff and that it. OK, maybe that alot, lol. Is renting 1 bedroom home truck would be enough?
Since we rent, stoves, refrigerator stuff belong to the landlord, lol.
But then UHaul don't have driver, so either way, I have to hire drivers.

Thank you so much for the inputs, greatly appreciated.

Last edited by CA84; 04-16-2013 at 07:00 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Rent a Uhaul and hire someone on Craigslist. Put an ad on Craigslist and you'll find someone. The only issue is that not all 3 of you will fit in the Uhaul. What about a bus or ride share for the one or ones who can't ride in the Uhaul?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,103,914 times
At the beginning of the year, I moved 600 miles. A co-worker knew a guy who works for U-haul and who gets jobs on the side of driving and delivering people's stuff using a U-haul truck. So, I hired this guy to drive, load, and unload the truck for me. I paid him a set price and he paid for the truck with a portion of the money I gave him.

If you look near the bottom of the U-haul website, there is a link for drivers and unloaders. The links even have people who will do the packing and unpacking.

I personally would not hire someone from Craigslist.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 PM

There are bus going up there, I have already look up bus schedule. It just that we worried about our stuff being in the truck without us there.
But about 45 minutes to 1 hour drive, I don't think there be that much damage to the stuff, I hope.
Are the advertisement on Uhaul wesite said Find Moving Helper in your area trustworthy? Maybe there are local movers or drivers in the area we can hire.

Oh, and if we moving with few drawers, few boxes, a bed, few old TVs, computer and computer tables, clothes, two medium size sofa, dinner table, a microwave, cooking dishes stuff. Would renting 1 bedroom home truck would be enough? Maybe 2 bed rooms truck?

We are living in a small 2 bedrooms apartment now, the big stuff in the apartment are not belong to us, it belong to the landlord, like stoves, refrigerator. So pretty much we just take our personal stuff with us. Hopefully it won't be a hard stressful move.

Thanks again for all the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues