U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM

192 posts, read 297,697 times

Advertisements

My husband and I decided to move with what we could fit in our jeep and drive across country. So we got rid of pretty much everything we own except clothes, dishes, childhood memories, etc., packed everything up and It will not all fit. The problem is that we have a few large things like a wooden chest, a gun locker, and a bookcase we really do not want to part with. We do not have a tow hitch and dont have time to get one, we have already gotten rid of everything else so there is no way we are renting a truck now, and I have about a week to figure out how to make this work. I need suggestions on cheap ways to ship maybe 6 boxes. Or would it be better to unpack and purge some more? Maybe there is a way to contact someone doing the same move with a truck that could take a few boxes for us, if so how would I do that? Is that even a good idea, can you trust people? Anyone else done this kind of move before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 PM

7,434 posts, read 12,959,575 times
If you rent a U Haul and don't have a trailer hitch, they have those you can rent and they will install it for you. When you reach your destination, the U Haul folks will remove it for you.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:52 PM

21,919 posts, read 14,414,141 times
There is no cheap way to ship boxes in my experience. Your choices seem to be to get rid of one or two bulky items, or to borrow or rent a bigger vehicle.

Is there someone where you live now who would keep your pieces until you can come back for them?

Old 04-19-2013, 01:55 PM

14,124 posts, read 20,903,828 times
Good luck I'm in same boat. I'm selling everything and shipping rest in boxes with Fedex Ground. I tried every which was to figure out how to move just a few pieces of furniture and the cheapest I could come to was $1300 for a Uhaul Box.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 PM

192 posts, read 297,697 times
Everything is just so expensive. I guess I will do what Silibran suggests and leave some stuff at my parents. Thank you!

Old 04-20-2013, 12:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
I have had great luck using extra space from folks on Craigslist (tho this can be risky, but has been excellent for me).

other options are to put on a pallet and take to a shipper (LTL) "less than Truck Load"
I have had GREAT luck with Forward Air
but UPS and Fed Ex and freight companies will do it for you.

I also have used uship.com with decent success (if you are flexible)

I offer to pick up and deliver from a terminal, so they just need to haul and drop on THEIR schedule.

ALWAYS run a cost / benefit calculation. You don't want to spend $500 shipping something that you could sell and re-buy.. (for less than shipping expense). If they are not heirlooms, I would do that... sell and replace.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM

18 posts, read 100,762 times
The time yopu have wasted on this thread, you could have had a trailer hitch installed, it takes about 45 mins to an hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues