U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:58 PM

125 posts, read 217,567 times

Advertisements

a company I am going to work for is paying for United Van Lines to move my stuff. I had a couple of e-mails with a woman who works for them (United) and it was a little odd. She said after they picked up my stuff, which could be scheduled for a certain day, they would deliver it "4 to 17 working days later" ????!!! that's 3 week at the most, when it's a two day drive (20 hours).

does this make sense?

anyone have any experience with United?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:57 PM

13 posts, read 23,771 times
It makes sense if your stuff wouldn't fill the truck. They would most likely pick up and drop off other people's things on the way. We've moved 9 times with the military, and when we didn't fill the truck it took longer to get our things.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:21 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
You can do some research and visit the message boards here. Excellent site.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 PM

126 posts, read 183,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post
a company I am going to work for is paying for United Van Lines to move my stuff. I had a couple of e-mails with a woman who works for them (United) and it was a little odd. She said after they picked up my stuff, which could be scheduled for a certain day, they would deliver it "4 to 17 working days later" ????!!! that's 3 week at the most, when it's a two day drive (20 hours).

does this make sense?

Hubby worked for United for years so I asked him. His best guess is they will try to maximize the load coming in and heading back out. Also, it's better to pad the time and come in sooner than to underestimate the time and leave you disappointed.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 PM

21,833 posts, read 14,341,548 times
We used United for our cross country move, and we were pleased. It all depends on the local United franchisee. If they are good, your move will likely be good.

We were told that they would get our furniture to us within 2 weeks of the date we wanted it. If they did not succeed, they would pay a penalty. This was in the contract we signed. They actually had to find another carrier to fulfill this part of the contract. Our furniture was delivered by a Mayflower driver. I have no idea who employed the crew who unloaded us.

Where you need expertise is with the packing, loading and unloading. And the company should be able to give you a detailed bid before you agree to terms. If you have a small load, or are going to an area not popular, then you might have to wait a bit longer than if they just could load the stuff on a van and go.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 AM

521 posts, read 3,939,998 times
With a fleet of over 5400 trucks, United Van Lines is the largest household goods carrier licensed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration http://1.usa.gov/roxJIs to operate in the U.S. There are part of St Louis-based Unigroup which also operates Mayflower Transit. http://1.usa.gov/15dXqvK

Both are irregualar route van lines with excellent reputations in the moving industry. Together they operate specially equipped moving vans and full-service storage warehouses through a network of over 1000 affiliated agents throughout North America.

The 'day-certain" pick up option and pattern of service they quoted suggests that you have a very small household.

The 2013 peak moving season will start nationwide in a few weeks when schools start closing for summer recess.

Many moving, storage, container transportation, and equipment rental companies will begin raising their prices; expanding their pick-up, delivery, and transit requirements, or just shutting off new business. This is due to the continuing shortage of licensed household goods drivers and equipment caused by the recession and the increase in new business caused by the growing economy.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 AM

125 posts, read 217,567 times
OK this makes sense. I don't hve a lot of stuff so it wouldn't fill a truck.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:34 AM

10,814 posts, read 15,114,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post

does this make sense?

YES Jackie, nothing but a very bad experience with United. The give you that "spread" date because they take your things and shuffle them around to different trucks. My entire household was on and off 3 trucks before it got delivered. I was livid to say the least. The 'salesperson' said not to be concerned about the date, that most likely it would be there within 4 days. Hahahaha. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing at most of their sales offices.

You should also know that United owns Mayflower; and it was a Mayflower truck that picked up and a Mayflower truck that delivered. That was after it went in and out of storage 3 times and on and off 3 trucks. Several phone calls, but only the run around and lies every time.

The 4th truck delivered it, and they didn't even have the correct phone number on the outside of the delivery envelope! The drivers kept calling the old number which was disconnected of course. (This also happened to a friend of mine who moved from the northeast to Winston Salem NC a year before my problem, same problem, same long spread; but in addition, their expensive bedroom set headbord was broken in two and taped together !. I only found out they used United after my problem.)

I've relo'd a few times over the years; the absolute best service has been from Atlas Van Lines. But experiences do vary.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 AM

3,932 posts, read 7,516,485 times
Will the company only pay for United? If you don't have much stuff, and if they'd pay for a different company, I'd talk to Atlas and/or Mayflower about their containers. We used Atlas - it's called Smartmoves.

It still isn't extremely fast, but they should be able to give you a delivery date, and your stuff would be secure in a container locked by you.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM

521 posts, read 3,939,998 times
Unigroup operates United Mayflower Container Services, LLC. for both their United Van Lines and Mayflower Transit brands.

Many agents equipped with a supply of either wooden or corrugated Type II liftvans will containerize small household goods or personal property shipments and move them via common or contract carrier in 5-7 days. This type of alternative service depends on individual customer requirements, freight volume, and container availability,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues