Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:39 PM

359 posts, read 1,099,969 times

Advertisements

im going to move 750 miles from my 26 year old son,this is the hardest thing I ever did.for 26 years he was by our side,talk about mix feelings wow.my wife and I just retired in jan. listed our home for sale and got an offer 10 days a go...I know he will be ok but im feeling so down,knowing we will see him only 3-4 times a year. has anyone ever done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 02:46 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Why are you doing this, if it makes you feel so bad?

Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Well I am the child though 34 but I moved from my mom to another state 5 years ago. Though I am going to be moving back for well at least 6 months it has been hard being away but in time I think it gets easier.
OP when you do visit it will be quality time hopefully where you can make fun memories. My mom and I talk everyday as well. Some people I know do skype etc.
Have you been able to talk to your son about how you feel and just to see how he feels?
Though of course you will miss your son once you get into a routine in your new area it will become easier. Do you have friends or other support? I encourage you to find hobbies or ways to meet people.
It sounds like you are worried too about your son but remember he is an adult and though you always need your mom he should be able to cope on his own. You are only a call or quick plane ride away.
Hope you feel better. As my mom says sometimes you just need a good cry to feel better too.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM

359 posts, read 1,099,969 times
well in the 13th hour I kill the deal to sell my home im not going to move .it was a dream to move down south on a lake but my son means more than that to me.my wife thinks im crazy but........loves me for it.any one want to buy a lake front lot in tnn ???????????

Old 05-08-2013, 01:42 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Oh gosh, I don't know what to say. We moved to FL from NJ and our grown children are in the northeast - we've visited every few months and it's worked out fine - they keep busy and have their own lives - but we sure miss the little grandchildren - and the traveling does get hard on us (so far we've been driving back and forth). We like it in FL, there's a lot of perks and there's no guarantee our kids will stay where they are, we didn't want to stay in NJ (at least not in the house we had) and we were tired of the long cold winters as well as the high taxes. DE was a strong contender, being closer to NJ, visits w/b easier and most likely more often but we're happy w/ our choice and will prob. set up Skype etc once we figure it out. Have made some friends where we live and there's activities and we're enjoying exploring the area etc.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Well after my post my plans changed and I will be moving once again to another state away from my mom so I understand but truly in time it gets easier. You just have to allow yourself to feel a little blue and try to work on ways to occupy yourself. Hang in there

Old 05-09-2013, 03:42 PM

683 posts, read 465,002 times
At 26, they should be pretty self sufficient. We are moving away from our kids, but we gave them over 5 years to absorb that fact. They pretty much "moved" out anyway when they went off to college. They never truly moved back home because of jobs, etc. Two only live one state away right now (we are in the process of moving), but they can always jump on a plane and visit us or Vice Versa. We will actually be closer to the third child who moved really far away for her job.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
I moved like 2000 miles away from my parents, it was hard but it can be done.

Remember there is phone, email, facebook, voice chatting, etc.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 PM

159 posts, read 82,974 times
Donald, I can't blame you. When young Moms cry at the first day of school, first date, first driver's license, I think, "ooooh boy. Wait until you have to drive away from the *first apartment*," especially when that apartment is out of town. Every other milestone is just practice for that, and it's not enough. What a moment. I remember hanging onto the door handle, telling my husband, "Wait. Wait." while I waved goodbye, and he kept saying, "We have to go." We turned the corner and it was like I'd lost my own soul. I'm used to it now, though I still miss him, and we visit a few times a year.

But, it's the natural order of things, kids leaving us. Not everyone's lucky enough to live in the same town with extended family anymore, with the way the economy and easier travel and the internet have let us go all over the country so much easier than a generation ago could.

Who knows, maybe that lakeside spot in Tennessee will come in handy someday soon, for you or your son or both of you. If not, good luck with the sale! I hope it all works out.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Honestly, I find this thread really bizarre. I love my family but I don't have to live down the street from them in order to feel like they still ARE my family. I am glad my parents raised me to be INDEPENDENT and stand on my own two feet; I think that is the greatest gift any parents can give their kids.

If I were 26 years old and my parents decided not to move because they had to stay near me ... wow, I would be appalled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues