Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 AM

44 posts, read 133,929 times

Advertisements

OK, maybe a dumb question but has anyone attempted a cross country move with a C-container? I am relocating to the Phoenix area and have sought estimates from pod companies which are in the $7-7.5K range for two pods but they come with a 30 day limitation or the storage fees start mounting up. I don't think I can make it happen in 30 days between selling my current home, shopping for and buying another in AZ, then settling on it and moving in. I can buy a C-container delivered to a relative's house close by the home I'm selling for around $2K, load it with my stuff, leave it indefinitely while I shop for and buy a new home out there, then have it shipped out, unload it and sell it. Or maybe keep in for storage if I buy enough property in an area that permits it. I'm unsure of the cost of 3 crane rentals and trucking it across the country though. Anybody done it?

Thanks,

-BunnMan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
The stuff that you are leaving "indefinitely" in that container is gonna be cooked, cracked crap when you unpack it after sitting in the Arizona heat. I don't think you're going to find it easy to rent cranes unless you happen to have a general contractors license in your back pocket. And if that relatives home is in an HOA, forget delivering the container there. If it's not, I'm going to guess you haven't checked the local codes that probably say it can't be stored there either.

Really - just sell the stuff and save the moving expenses. It rarely makes financial sense to move stuff. And this scheme makes no sense at all.

PS - those two estimates sound way too high to me, unless they are doing all the packing and loading. Even then, they sound high.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:49 PM

44 posts, read 133,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The stuff that you are leaving "indefinitely" in that container is gonna be cooked, cracked crap when you unpack it after sitting in the Arizona heat. I don't think you're going to find it easy to rent cranes unless you happen to have a general contractors license in your back pocket. And if that relatives home is in an HOA, forget delivering the container there. If it's not, I'm going to guess you haven't checked the local codes that probably say it can't be stored there either.

Really - just sell the stuff and save the moving expenses. It rarely makes financial sense to move stuff. And this scheme makes no sense at all.

PS - those two estimates sound way too high to me, unless they are doing all the packing and loading. Even then, they sound high.

I thought about the interior heating up, the indefinite period will be here in Maryland so it shouldn't be too bad. It would be next to three other containers they use for storage inspired by the neighbor who has about six of them on his stretch of land. There's no HOA in that neighborhood and I'mm hoping to move into a community out there that doesn't have one either. Zoning here certainly is not a problem but if there are ordninces against parking a container on a lot out there, that's certainly a deal breaker. You say the estimates sound high...who have you dealt with that was more affordable? Do you have experience moving long distance? I have gotten a few estimates which is why I quoted a range. I will be ditching most of my stuff but there's some things that just have to come along.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
I have moved cross country two times (Philly - Phx, Phx - Raleigh, NC), the last time just a year ago. Our last move, We sold nearly all the furniture in our 3100 square foot home and moved mostly boxes - stuff that we have gathered during the last 50-60 years of our life (I suspect you are younger than us, so should have less stuff).

Last time, I ended up moving one container of boxes and a little furniture with a national moving company. They packed some of the kitchen stuff for me, I packed the rest, they loaded and unloaded everything at both ends. Total cost - about $4,000.

I should have gotten rid of MORE stuff, and probably not moved the furniture either.

I suspect your estimates are coming from online calculators rather than a person coming to your home and giving you a REAL estimate. Try the latter, don't move during the end of the month, avoid moving in the summer, and let them decide which day of the week. You don't need to go through all of what you are trying to do.

And this thread should be moved to the moving forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues