U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 PM

194 posts, read 1,040,653 times

Advertisements

Im in the Navy in stationed in CT and looking at likely getting orders to Washington state at the end of the summer. I am trying to see what my options are for my move. I don't really have much stuff to bring with me. It will likely 6-12 medium-large boxes and my truck a 93 F150. For being 20 years old my trucks in good shape mechanically but I'd really rather not drive it. Not that I don't think it will make it but I'd rather not put that wear and tear of 3000+ miles on it and it being a regular cab its not a comfy road trip truck. On top of that I would have to either put my cargo in the bed under a tarp and take it all out every night to avoid my stuff being stolen or tow behind a very small uhaul trailer, putting slightly more strain on my truck. Judging from guys heading out west from here I will likely get around 2000-2500 to drive if I chose to. Since Im only an E3 they won't ship my truck for me. I don't mind renting a truck from Penske and towing my truck behind it but on the Penske site they only allow a 4,000 and change weight limit on their trailers, apparently my truck is just a few over that. I can do it with uhaul but they are like another $1000 and Penske has better equipment. Anyone tow a full size truck or suv with Penske?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 03:29 PM

There is both a Uhaul and Penske location down the road from base, so I checked the trailers out a little bit just with the naked eye. They appear to be the same size just a different manufacturer I don't know why the rating is so much lower on Penske's equipment.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 AM

6,467 posts, read 11,546,746 times
3000 highway miles on your truck is going to be less wear and tear then 3000 miles around town. I'd take it to a mechanic to get a check up and change all the fluids. Have the tires rotated and checked. Get a seat cushion to make it more comfortable, buy a canopy for the truck and lock it up at night. And F150 will pull a small Uhaul trailer with next to no problems, that's what it's designed to do.

In theory the trailer you'd get from Penske should have a bit of leeway weight wise in it. But realistically it's probably in bad shape and not worth the risk, if they even rented to you in the first place.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM

The 3000 highway vs 3000 city driving is debatable. Thing is it takes me probably 9 months to put 3k on my truck these days. I'm leaning towards driving it now especially since I plan to stop in N Cali to spend a chunk of my leave with my then wife and it's not my seat thats uncomfortable its the fact that since its a regular cab my seat doesn't have alot of movement to it and after 8-10 in the truck my lanky body is over it lol. I've driving it back and forth from NYC to Tampa I was not enjoying myself although that was a straight through drive. Bed covers are an arm and a leg, I don't like them and they are hardly "secure". If I drive I might try to load up large bags and boxes so I can just bring whatever I have into the hotel or cab with me and cover it with a tarp on the road. I mainly just have a bunch of clothes, tv, ps3, laptop, and maybe some golf clubs and hiking equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues