U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 PM

8 posts, read 21,842 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Chicago to San Francisco and would like to ask about moving options. I have sold all bulky and heavy furniture. So now it seems everything will be fitted into about 15 boxes of size 18x18x18, weighting 40-80 lbs each. I was thinking of shipping all of them via Fedex Ground to my new location, which would cost me about sub-$1,000. I wonder if anyone has any comment, suggestion on other options, etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 AM

28,494 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onixxino View Post
15 boxes ... 40-80 lbs each ... via Fedex Ground ... sub-$1,000.
I wonder if anyone has any comment, suggestion on other options, etc.
Do you know anyone with a commercial account who will send them out for you?

Compare Rates: ShippingSidekick.com
USPS was quoted at $28 for a 60lb box NC to CA
15 x $28 = $420. Is that better?

Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 AM

102 posts, read 508,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Do you know anyone with a commercial account who will send them out for you?

Compare Rates: ShippingSidekick.com
USPS was quoted at $28 for a 60lb box NC to CA
15 x $28 = $420. Is that better?
I was wondering were you got that rate $28 dollars.. This is for media mail only.. I ship stuff all the time and after seeing this i knew it was to good to be true.. Parcel select your looking around 50 -60 dollars.. That's the cheapest option for shipping. Your best bet is to go with fed-ex ground like you already looked up onixxino.. They are usually cheaper with larger and heavy packages.. UPS your goinna pay alot more then both USPS and FEDEX...

Restrictions: Media Mail is used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, videotapes, and computer-recorded media like CDs and diskettes. Media Mail cannot contain advertising.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 AM

28,494 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark55us View Post
I was wondering where you got that rate $28 dollars..
From the site indicated; for a 60lb package as described.

Quote:
Your best bet is to go with fed-ex ground...
Does "best bet" mean least expensive? I can't imagine FedEx ever being lowest.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:01 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,850,338 times
I have a computer to be shipped from east coast to the west. It weighs near 40 pounds. The rate I saw on the postal website was around $43.00. Your location is not the east coast but about half the distance.
Sending you a message with a possible option for you.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
From the site indicated; for a 60lb package as described.

Does "best bet" mean least expensive? I can't imagine FedEx ever being lowest.
Yes I was stating before I checked out your site for comparisons .

you get allot better rate with media mail then parcel select ,which can be almost half. You could try to send it that way but if they open and see that it's not media material they will charge you the extra cost and a small fee.

What I mean best bet when you have bigger boxes and they weigh allot I usually get a better price with fedex then USPS and ups ...it all depends on length and girth x weight ...you would have to compare with both sites..USPS is cheapest all around for most items ,but found using FedEx for large heavy items it seems to be cheaper .plus they guarantee the first 100 dollars of insurance . USPS you need to add on.. I would compare , also do it online u get a cheaper rate when you buy our postage.

Last edited by mark55us; 05-22-2013 at 02:01 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have a computer to be shipped from east coast to the west. It weighs near 40 pounds. The rate I saw on the postal website was around $43.00. Your location is not the east coast but about half the distance.
Sending you a message with a possible option for you.
Yeh that seems about right for the weight of the box for USPS..

Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 AM

14,123 posts, read 20,887,348 times
I just did this from FL to CO. 6 boxes at 40-60lbs each were $350. My boxes via Fedex were crushed and torn open. Make sure you tape all edges and corners and pack glass items very very well.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:30 PM

6,071 posts, read 8,368,206 times
Are the boxes heavy? I shipped about 5 boxes of stuff via UPS from VA to CO and it was very expensive. Probably about 250 dollars. Some of the boxes were heavy because they had books. I don't know of any cheaper option though. I took pictures of what was in the boxes and got insurance to cover my losses if any of them got lost. They arrived in good condition and with no problems.

Edit - we use FedEx and UPS at work - the boxes from UPS always arrive in good condition, the FedEx ones look kicked around a lot of the time. And there's no way I'd trust USPS with anything I wanted to see again. I highly recommend UPS.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:17 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,790,768 times
Good information - we are bringing college grad home to attend grad school. He has accumulated a lot of stuff in 5 years and we moved 2000 miles away.
Weighing out the options of renting a truck and towing his vehicle
or
Shipping his vehicle on a transport, selling his used college kid furniture and shipping his clothes/assorted gear then flying him down.
One issue that has come up that we have not explored, the boy has a handgun, a shotgun and an AR along with assorted ammo. I am sure he can use up the ammo before his departure, just not sure how to ship the guns from NV to Texas. Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues