U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:17 PM

9,013 posts, read 8,294,078 times

Advertisements

RomaniGypsy I really needed to see.that post just now. This truly inspires my heart & soul. I cant justify sticking around here much longer. It's taken its toll & I don't want to become bitter. So this rv lifestyle sounds amazing; I think I would love to add that into my intention lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 AM

3,047 posts, read 6,564,991 times
I just skimmed the replies but a few thoughts. I am not sure if you stated your age so my opinion may vary based on that because I feel in different times of life what situation or adventure so to speak would be good or not.
Anyhow I am almost 35 and have moved many times and to different states. I will be moving again in about 2 weeks and hoping this will be the last for awhile. I feel for myself not having a sense of "home" is not good and it makes it hard to form long term and close relationships. It lacks also finding fun things or special times in your new place and some opportunities for new interests specific to the area. I also feel there is a comfort mentally in having a place feel like home and if one is moving all the time it is hard to form that.
Now traveling and sight seeing would be different and I dont enjoy travels but I see how many people do.
Good luck in what every you decide to do

Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 AM

159 posts, read 72,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Im not posting the actual state I am in currently cause the people here are pretty vicious on these boards with defending this Hellhole. Its a bankrupt place though; the crime levels are way higher than other places, & the people just seem to be ok with it. Its also ridiculously overpriced & I have always hated this place. Everytime I get away from here Im happy. The flipside of that is when I meet people who aren't from here I can always spot them. They don't have bad attitudes, & seem lighter & nicer than the locals here.
I can't help but wonder how many of us now think you're from wherever WE live - lol. I think a lot of people feel the same way, maybe without speaking up. My neighbor and I had a long talk a little while ago, wondering how anyone could stand living in our town, and we're making plans to get the heck out of Dodge, so to speak. Can't wait!

I'm now considering trading the house I own for an RV and hitting the road for a few years. My sister did it, though everyone said she was crazy and she seemed to have everything where she was. Well, she took the plunge and it changed her life, she had a ball. Good thing too, because she later found out she was sick and she died not long afterward.

So, I'll say "do it" if you can. No regrets! I have a few legal ties here I'd have to deal with to go, but I'm going to work on doing it too. Moving IS a pain, but it sounds like you've got a great positive attitude, and that offsets many troubles.

Good luck! Where are you going first? What cities do you want to see?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 AM

Texas is & has always been on my list, California, Arizona, & a few others...But if it is do-able I'd also like to try a few European places after my places here are off my list.
Lol unless I fall in love with a place & decide to stay.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:41 AM

2,112 posts, read 3,851,817 times
Quote:
I get the feeling u have lots of really good suggestions for me lol
Can u elaborate more on how ya did it?
(Although I wouldn't be living out of a van)
I love the idea of actually experiencing each place & finding myself in the process. Does that sound crazy?
The most important thing is to just do it. If you're always finding things holding you back, you'll never go. Never think 'but what about....', it should be 'this is how I can get around this roadblock!'

It seems like there's so much to do it's overwhelming, but another poster (clevergirl05) has it right: break it down in to small pieces, and work from there.

You'll need a car, mail forward, maybe storage, etc. Everything has a solution if you look for it. For me, it was pretty easy. I didn't have much stuff to begin with so I pretty much packed what I wanted in the van (bring less than you think you'll need), pick a destination, and go.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Texas is & has always been on my list, California, Arizona, & a few others...But if it is do-able I'd also like to try a few European places after my places here are off my list.
Lol unless I fall in love with a place & decide to stay.
I picked Texas first. And then California, then so many others.

I'll be back in TX one day.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
The most important thing is to just do it. If you're always finding things holding you back, you'll never go. Never think 'but what about....', it should be 'this is how I can get around this roadblock!'

It seems like there's so much to do it's overwhelming, but another poster (clevergirl05) has it right: break it down in to small pieces, and work from there.

You'll need a car, mail forward, maybe storage, etc. Everything has a solution if you look for it. For me, it was pretty easy. I didn't have much stuff to begin with so I pretty much packed what I wanted in the van (bring less than you think you'll need), pick a destination, and go.

The first few sentences ring true with me. I have waited for the right time for far too long.
There's a song I like called What About Now by Lonestar that kind of sums it up lol
So where else did u go?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
The first few sentences ring true with me. I have waited for the right time for far too long.
There's a song I like called What About Now by Lonestar that kind of sums it up lol
So where else did u go?
I went back and forth across the country a couple of times. The northern route, the southern route, then middle route. There's something different everywhere. The only places I spent more than a few days were in TX, CA, Chicago, WY, Las Vegas, St louis, Pittsburgh, and maybe a couple other places.

When I get back on the road, I'm going to stay in each place at least 6 months, which I think is really the way to get a feel for a place.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:06 PM

14,316 posts, read 7,885,800 times
If you were a Nurse or a Respiratory Therapist you could get traveling employment. They pay for your apartments as well and you have an instant job. I've known some people that did it. One went to Saudi Arabia. Just be prepared for some lean and lonely times. Have to take the good with the bad. (Sounds like you're talking about fleeing Chicago?)

Old 05-22-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I went back and forth across the country a couple of times. The northern route, the southern route, then middle route. There's something different everywhere. The only places I spent more than a few days were in TX, CA, Chicago, WY, Las Vegas, St louis, Pittsburgh, and maybe a couple other places.

When I get back on the road, I'm going to stay in each place at least 6 months, which I think is really the way to get a feel for a place.
Did u go to Florida at all ? Some of those places ya went to are awesome lol & 2 u listed I'm not crazy about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues