Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:42 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I've been in a location I absolutely loathe for a long time. I had obligations & now that the situation has changed I can finally get out of this miserable state. So I have a list of maybe half a dozen places I'd like to move to. My intention is live in each different state a year. Thoughts?
Aside from being expensive, what do you think a potential employer is going to think of you having six different jobs in six years? I'm not a hiring manager but that would be a red flag for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 06:44 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,436 times
Quote:
Texas is & has always been on my list, California, Arizona, & a few others...But if it is do-able I'd also like to try a few European places after my places here are off my list.
Lol unless I fall in love with a place & decide to stay.
Having lived in Texas for five years, I can tell you this much. If you're in a densely packed suburb or a city, you won't notice a difference between TX and any other state (except maybe gas prices - they tend to be on the below-average side).

If you get out into the country, that's where things become different. Old-school Texans are VERY proud of their state. You will never find another state where so many people fly the state flag right next to the American flag.

We left Texas because we felt that it was moving in the wrong direction, we didn't like the extreme summer heat, and we had health issues relating to the climate pattern. There are some things worth liking about Texas. The Mexican food is the best you'll find, there's no income tax (but beware- they get you in many other ways), and if you live out in the country, it feels like a different world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Aside from being expensive, what do you think a potential employer is going to think of you having six different jobs in six years? I'm not a hiring manager but that would be a red flag for me.
It all depends upon how you present the story of why you did what you did. Frankly, if I ever have to settle down and get another "job", I would say something like this about my prior history:

"I operated a business for many years and found out that it was not all it was cracked up to be. I did not like having to answer my phone at all hours of all seven days of the week for fear of losing a potential client if I didn't. I did not like being stuck dealing with horrendously inconsiderate people on a regular basis because ditching them as clients would've meant a loss of income. I did not like having to be a salesperson as frequently as running my own business meant I had to be. I started my own business so I could be a musician and a teacher, not so I could be a salesperson. As for going on tour, my wife and I decided that we wanted to shake off the negativity we were experiencing in life at the time, rather than do what so many other people do which is deal with it and put themselves into an early grave at the altar of the almighty dollar. So we took an opportunity we had, to do something we've always wanted to do. We're all the better for having done it and I don't regret it for a minute. If we all look inside ourselves, we'll find passions that can never be bought nor sold, and commensurate desires to act upon those passions. That's human nature, instilled into us by God Himself. My having gone on tour shows that I am fully accepting of my human nature and that I take opportunities whenever it is feasible to take them. If that's not what you want in an employee, I hope you will not hire me because neither of us would be happy with the employment situation were that the case."

I've had situations before where it looked like I shouldn't get some job but I got it anyway. I've been told along the line that I sell myself well... so I'm not worried. The kind of job I will search for, if I come to need a job, is the kind of job where I will hardly have to interview at all because [whomever] will be so happy to have found me that he/she will practically shove the job in my face. I should know. That's how it's been for the last several jobs I've had.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 PM

1,839 posts, read 3,064,992 times
Quote:
I've been in a location I absolutely loathe for a long time. I had obligations & now that the situation has changed I can finally get out of this miserable state. So I have a list of maybe half a dozen places I'd like to move to. My intention is live in each different state a year. Thoughts?
It's awesome! I wanted to do this when I was young, you know, maybe I still could . . .AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Go for it.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:48 PM

156 posts, read 235,936 times
Word to the wise, one man's paradise is another man's hell....you are making the right decision to explore. Life is too short to stay somewhere you know is not for you. Don't beat yourself up, I have been doing the same mistake and after 3 1/2 years!! I am finally on the verge of leaving. Before I moved here, I came on vacation, and it is a great spot for that, but for me living here has been a huge bummer. I wish I had given it a few months trial before taking the plunge. Hopefully my next choice is going to be a better match.
Good luck on your travels.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Having lived in Texas for five years, I can tell you this much. If you're in a densely packed suburb or a city, you won't notice a difference between TX and any other state (except maybe gas prices - they tend to be on the below-average side).

If you get out into the country, that's where things become different. Old-school Texans are VERY proud of their state. You will never find another state where so many people fly the state flag right next to the American flag.

We left Texas because we felt that it was moving in the wrong direction, we didn't like the extreme summer heat, and we had health issues relating to the climate pattern. There are some things worth liking about Texas. The Mexican food is the best you'll find, there's no income tax (but beware- they get you in many other ways), and if you live out in the country, it feels like a different world.

It all depends upon how you present the story of why you did what you did. Frankly, if I ever have to settle down and get another "job", I would say something like this about my prior history:

"I operated a business for many years and found out that it was not all it was cracked up to be. I did not like having to answer my phone at all hours of all seven days of the week for fear of losing a potential client if I didn't. I did not like being stuck dealing with horrendously inconsiderate people on a regular basis because ditching them as clients would've meant a loss of income. I did not like having to be a salesperson as frequently as running my own business meant I had to be. I started my own business so I could be a musician and a teacher, not so I could be a salesperson. As for going on tour, my wife and I decided that we wanted to shake off the negativity we were experiencing in life at the time, rather than do what so many other people do which is deal with it and put themselves into an early grave at the altar of the almighty dollar. So we took an opportunity we had, to do something we've always wanted to do. We're all the better for having done it and I don't regret it for a minute. If we all look inside ourselves, we'll find passions that can never be bought nor sold, and commensurate desires to act upon those passions. That's human nature, instilled into us by God Himself. My having gone on tour shows that I am fully accepting of my human nature and that I take opportunities whenever it is feasible to take them. If that's not what you want in an employee, I hope you will not hire me because neither of us would be happy with the employment situation were that the case."

I've had situations before where it looked like I shouldn't get some job but I got it anyway. I've been told along the line that I sell myself well... so I'm not worried. The kind of job I will search for, if I come to need a job, is the kind of job where I will hardly have to interview at all because [whomever] will be so happy to have found me that he/she will practically shove the job in my face. I should know. That's how it's been for the last several jobs I've had.
The way u respond to employers is exactly how I would.
I find it refreshing & inspiring that there are some ppl out there who are true to themselves.
Also, I wouldn't worry about explaining anything to anyone.I have the ability to work from home & things always work out in that respect.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Life is short-do what you really want to do. Why live with regrets??

Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

Even the bad Mexican food in Texas is good. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I ate myself into an enchilada coma at Pancho's Mexican Buffet (it's a Mexican version of Ryan's, but much more fattening and nap-inducing; I dare you stay awake after eating there !)

Old 05-26-2013, 06:53 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Quote:
Im not posting the actual state I am in currently cause the people here are pretty vicious on these boards with defending this Hellhole. Its a bankrupt place though; the crime levels are way higher than other places, & the people just seem to be ok with it. Its also ridiculously overpriced & I have always hated this place. Everytime I get away from here Im happy. The flipside of that is when I meet people who aren't from here I can always spot them. They don't have bad attitudes, & seem lighter & nicer than the locals here.
This part reads like you are from Detroit.

This part reads like you are from DC.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:50 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
DEFINITELY do it, OP!

It will make you a better, more compassionate, wiser person.

The only additional thing I'd recommend is to make sure that you experience all kinds of communities: Live rural, live small town, live small city, live big city. This will add to your multi-state experience.

And don't worry about money. I've found that there's always work to do, if you're willing to do any kind of work. People who can't find work are a complete mystery to me.

Just get out there, and DO IT!

Old 05-27-2013, 02:49 AM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Life is short-do what you really want to do. Why live with regrets??

Yeah, that. To the OP, I say "Go for it!", if not you will regret it the rest of your life. Life is way too short to be so unhappy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues