U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 03:21 PM

66 posts, read 69,186 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I would appreciate additional input from people who have some insights into new areas. So far I haven't had much luck in my own exploration. I live in the Rockies, but originally from New England. I love the geography and people of New England, but not the winters. The summers in the Rockies are fantastic but winters are too long, the high desert lacks lush green trees, most everyone over 30 is married or a ski bumb and I live in an area with no opportunity for career advancement. Looking to find an area that might meet the following:
Single, Professional work/medical, Green trees, Near water, milder winters, and easy access to horse boarding/trails (I ride western).
These are all tough orders to fill as I continue my journey to find eutopia, but realizing I may need to give up something. Please don't be offended by following dislikes as we all have things we find appealing....and I will not give up the horse.

Austin great city but the rolling hills weren't so rolling and green, too sticky hot summers
Portland too wet/mold
Phoenix- could care less if I ever see a sage bush again, desert!
Florida too flat, too hot, no green except palm trees.
Carolina's-Raleigh wasn't bad; North Carolina was absolutely gorgeous BUT for first time in my life I felt like a northerner in South Carolina and parts of NC.
Montana- winters too long and cold

Contemplating MD, DE, VA......oh the humidity>>>

One of the interesting things is that if I was married I think I would find myself on a small, wooded urban ranch within an easy drive to a culture filled city, but that is not the case...therefore a small town with just families won't be enough. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,746,293 times
Perhaps the horse would feel most at home in Kentucky? Bluegrass state: Horses, Bourbon, Tobacco.
Someplace between Louisville and Lexington with proximity to medical industry should have enough cultural things to do between them and with Universities nearby, though you likely will 'feel' like a northerner.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:27 PM

10,472 posts, read 8,417,014 times
Northerners are accepted very well in central Kentucky, as long as they don't keep talking about how much better things were back up north!

This is horse country, and the University of Kentucky has a medical college plus a university hospital with advanced care in all disciplines. There are four additional hospitals in Lexington, plus a variety of clinics and medical offices. Horses are ridden in both styles: English and Western. The Kentucky (state) Horse Park is just outside of Lexington, and has all kinds of activities throughout the year.

It's very green here, except in the dead of winter, and springs and falls are gorgeous. Lexington is not located on a river, but the Kentucky River borders Fayette County, Lake Herrington is about 45 minutes away, and Lake Cumberland is 90 minutes from town. Winters tend to be chilly rather than frigid, with warm spells that last a day or two apt to occur several times each winter. First sticking snow usually falls in December, last snow is usually in early to mid-March, and spring starts hinting that it's on the way in late February (fairly subtle hints - you have to know what to watch for, but snowdrops bloom, birds start returning, and bulbs put up foliage). Spring definitely arrives in March, April and May and June are beautiful.

However - winters can seem long and gray; summers can be hot and humid. We endure, knowing what's coming: beautiful spring and fall.

There are fairs and festivals of various kinds every weekend from spring through October in central Kentucky. The westernmost range of the Cumberland Mountains are about 45 minutes from Lexington. Cincinnati and Louisville are less than two hours away.

So - come visit for a few days, and see how you'd fit. Central Kentucky is not for everyone, but it might well be for you. (and your horse...;-))

Old 05-27-2013, 05:00 PM

I will have to do a little more research on KY, not sure if I'm willing to give compromise on winter and water, but the temptation of green, horse country is palpable. I hear Louisville is growing, any insights there?

Old 05-27-2013, 06:46 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,450,486 times
I just left Boise and was pleasantly surprised, after all Boise means city of trees. A river runs through the city and it has fantastic outdoor opportunities. You should peruse their forums. I spoke with someone who said there's a strong need for certain medical personnel.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 PM

As in Idaho? Thats way more winter than Colorado, not a chance but thanks.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,903,890 times
Virginia...the only place you'll ever need I rode my horses, hiked, enjoyed the seasons, went to DC often, plantations, historical sites to check out (I did my daily four mile walk at one), close to beach weekends, great ethnic food, culturally diverse and beautiful! My heart longs to live there again! Pick me up in Phoenix on your way!

Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM

Well that made me kinda sad, sounds like home and your in Phoenix? VA seems so diverse and some areas quite expensive...difficult to find the right spot with my specific list . Does anyone know if VA beach area is similar to Myrtle. I just did a loop in the Carolina's to check out possible places and now wishing I would have gone a bit more north.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 AM

8,224 posts, read 14,918,804 times
VA Beach is quite similar to Myrtle Beach except you need to wear sound-blocking ear protection. Those jets'll make you deaf real fast - and I'm deaf already.

Virginia is a good place for horses, but so is southern New Jersey. The winters aren't harsh and there's no place with beaches like New Jersey. It's got it all for a medical professional, proximity to cultural activities, small town feel in many places.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,449,337 times
Lexington, KY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues