U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 AM

109 posts, read 413,345 times

Advertisements

I have been dreaming of relocating now for the last 8yrs........I feel so frustrated and hopeless that I haven't. I have looked everywhere and tried every scenario to get there, and it hasn't happened yet. What in the world do I have to do, to do this?

I think I have finally found a few places I can afford, now I just have to find the right scenario to do it? I am not retirement age but getting there soon and want this to be my last move, and I really can't take where I am anymore. Do I leave w/o health insurance and try and start over? Do I transfer thru a job I do not like already? It would be different if I had a spouse to do this with, but all alone this is very frustrating.

I am feeling pretty hopeless in moving at all.......! Really needed to vent this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 08:21 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,265,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucandoit View Post
I have been dreaming of relocating now for the last 8yrs........I feel so frustrated and hopeless that I haven't. I have looked everywhere and tried every scenario to get there, and it hasn't happened yet. What in the world do I have to do, to do this?

I think I have finally found a few places I can afford, now I just have to find the right scenario to do it? I am not retirement age but getting there soon and want this to be my last move, and I really can't take where I am anymore. Do I leave w/o health insurance and try and start over? Do I transfer thru a job I do not like already? It would be different if I had a spouse to do this with, but all alone this is very frustrating.

I am feeling pretty hopeless in moving at all.......! Really needed to vent this
sounds like your job is a big issue, so you need to either transfer with the current job or start sending out resumes in the area you want to move to. i would do both and see what opportunities come up.

greenie

Old 11-04-2007, 08:31 AM

193 posts, read 347,643 times
I'm doing it, don't even have a job lined up, I pay for my own health ins anyway, I'm 13 years from retirement, single, and don't know a soul where I'm heading. I possess a very strong work ethic and look at this move as an adventure. I fully expect tough times until things fall in place but getting out of ATL clearly outweighs any bumps in the road I might encounter. I've thought about doing this since last year and decided it's time to take the leap.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:31 AM

I have been doing this for over a year now, and no luck. I think because I am not local to the area the employers are reluctant to hire me, and my job has very few openings in the state, and cities I am desiring because it is one of a kind.......! I feel stuck, you know?

Old 11-04-2007, 08:34 AM

gsfan good for you, I feel the same about myself, I have never had any trouble getting hired anywhere either, but I guess my age makes me more insecure about quitting my current job and starting over but I may have to take that kind of a chance. What type of health insurance do you have? I looked into my cobra payments and there is no way I could pay that !

Old 11-04-2007, 09:09 AM

also curious as to where you are staying when you first arrive, even with money in my pocket most of the places I inquired about will not take my money down for even a year because I would be w/o a job.....Do u have plans for that? I have great references, and can give them lease money and they are still not complying w/o having employment.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 AM

13,843 posts, read 25,250,078 times
You can't be a little bit pregnant or sort of jump off the high dive. If you are truly miserable where you are, leave. Do what you can to mitigate the damage and know you may have hard times ahead.

Investigate staying with a friend or renting a room in someone's house for a few months. There are also motels with weekly and monthly rates. You just put your stuff in storage.

If you can't do it, it's best to just accept it and make the best of life where you are. You can make that work out too.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2007, 10:31 AM

193 posts, read 347,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucandoit View Post
gsfan good for you, I feel the same about myself, I have never had any trouble getting hired anywhere either, but I guess my age makes me more insecure about quitting my current job and starting over but I may have to take that kind of a chance. What type of health insurance do you have? I looked into my cobra payments and there is no way I could pay that !
I got quotes via ehealthinsurance.com, I've been paying on my own for years as I'm self employed but have no plans to go back into the same industry when I move.
The proceeds from the sale of my home should allow me to purchase a home outright.
Me, I'm a 50 yo girlie but will not let that stop me, I've wanted to do this for so long.
Yellowsnow had some good suggestions.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:45 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,330,124 times
It's easier to move when single because there is no-one else to please.

If you don't enjoy your job, why not look into doing something else? For a move you don't need anything fancy anyway, any service sector job will do - just save as much as possible now, find which jobs are in demand where you want to go, get hired anywhere, doing anything and go from there.

What do you do for a living anyway which is so unique?

Old 11-04-2007, 02:46 PM

199 posts, read 1,032,034 times
I really understand your hopeless feeling. But let me encourage you by saying that I believe you have it easier as a single person than I do, trying to coordinate a move across the country with a husband and 7 children.

One thing we're trying is to get a part-time job with a national chain and then transferring when we're ready to move, so one of us would have a job when we get there. My son is doing this right now. He's working at Target in MN and moving to CA next month where he will be able to transfer and have work right away while he looks for a job he really likes (in the health care industry).

According their website, Home Depot offers health benefits for part-time workers, and so does Starbucks. If nothing else, getting a part time job will allow you to save more money faster, so you can have a bigger cushion to move with. You can do this, just like your screen name says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues