Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:35 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times

Advertisements

There's always that line between what you want and what you can reasonably do. The risks involved, the energy, work of it all, moving is tough. No one can say for each person what is right. It's just looking at all of the given information and hoping to make the best decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Someone quoted this to me....It stuck.....Hope it sticks with you.

Quote:
"Whats worse? Accepting a sub-par quality of life or taking a risk to see if a move leads to a better quality of life."

Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
The COL is so extremely high in NYC and New England, I would imagine he is making a fortune in salary compared to most parts of the country.

Can you not simply pay cash for a home down south, with money left over? A 2 million dollar home up east may cost 200k down south.

I think once you would move to a lesser COL region, his lack of pay would balance out and you could live quite comfortably.

Lots of people work in California or up East and hoard cash for years, then move to a cheap state later on in life, with no mortgage and massive savings or retirement in the bank.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
A 2 million dollar home up east may cost 200k down south.
Not anywhere that anyone can find a job. But it should be getable for $1.3M

Quote:
I think once you would move to a lesser COL region...
Once past the real estate stuff COL is about the same everywhere.
Well, everywhere that anyone would want to live.

Quote:
Lots of people work in California or up East and hoard cash for years, then move
But if you have a paid for property...
moving 1000+ miles from friends and family is a lot of doing just for a few thousand less in RE tax.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post
I am from CT and my husband works in the NY area. He has a successful career and his salary most likely wouldn't be matched in any of the states we'd love to move to (N.C, T.N. or S.C.)
I've been reading these forums for years, I have realtors in North Carolina and Tennessee that send me homes daily via email. I'm in a constant state of daydreaming yet as time goes on, I'm realizing we're never getting out of here.

I guess I just wanted to vent and see if there was anyone out there like me. Who researches places, reads forums, compares the property taxes etc only to be disappointed that this will never happen.
Or if you just did something crazy and decided to seek out employment elsewhere even though you have a great job. (When I say great I mean his pay and benefits, it's actual very stressful and he'd leave it if he could)

I'd love to hear your story,
Thanks!
I think a lot of people here at CD fit that description. We talk, research and plan but never do.

My situation is the opposite of yours. I live in a small town in rural TN and have been wanting to move to a city since I graduated high school. Long story short: I'm married, in my 30s and stuck in a small town. My wife makes more than me, she loves her job, we live very close to her place of work, and she doesn't want to move.

I grew up in the country outside of a town of about 17,000. I couldn't wait to get out. Now I'm stuck here.

BTW, I'm sure your husband would not make as much in TN but taxes are lower here too. There's no state income tax on wages. Property values are lower too, so if you sell a house in CT and buy one in TN, you can get much more for your money in TN. But you probably already knew that.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I'm not really the poster-child for what to do in this scenario because I handle it wrong.
What happened?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I guess I don't understand a longing to live some place else. I have lived so many places, I just make where I am, 'home', I did want to live by the ocean, and found it was so busy working I never went to the beach anyway. So, it is better to just go on vacation. I also thought I would like a place warm and sunny, but since moving to a colder area, I enjoy four seasons.

I just go where I find a good job, and make a good living. I don't really 'choose' where to live, I guess my life is driven by where I can find a job. I would not want to change careers or another employer... I was recently offered a job in Palo Alto, same pay as I make now... Forget it. Here, I have a short commute, and can afford a decent lifestyle, in Palo, I would have probably a forty five minute commute...

No answer for you, except live in the moment, and enjoy where you are, rather than be miserable, wishing you were someplace else. Or, make a plan, and move. One or the other.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:35 PM

42 posts, read 141,936 times
You all might not make as much in those states, but they cost less to live there. So it would all come out the same.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 PM

249 posts, read 882,554 times
Default I did it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC49 View Post
I feel your need for something else. I am exactly like you with one difference...I will do it! I will take that chance. Now if I could just sell this condo.Good luck!
Never give up on your dreams! Dream big, work hard and take the chance that could possibly create the most incredible life you could ever imagine! I did IT. I wish you happiness!

Old 07-16-2014, 02:54 PM

202 posts, read 239,975 times
We moved to SC (Charlotte, NC area) in 2005 from CA. I hate it here. My entire family is in the SF Bay Area and we've been trying to move back for 2 years. We bought our house here in 2008. But I don't think we can sell our house and make a profit; if anything, we could *possibly* break even, but I doubt it. My husband has been looking for another job out there and hasn't had any luck. We don't have anything in savings because of 2 job losses while we've lived here, otherwise we'd just throw caution to the wind and go. I am miserable and daydream every day of moving back. I miss my family terribly, I miss CA, I just don't want to be here. But, unless we come into some money or he gets a better paying job in CA, I don't see how it's possible. It's really a shame to spend our lives somewhere where we're just not happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues