Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 4,663 times

Advertisements

Hi All !! I have been reading this forum and other sites and have gathered some great info..But wanted to post and see if any answers are ideas for cities I havent thought of. Here is my "wish list" I am a middle-aged, young thinking female

Midsize/smaller city (say over 100,00 to a million)
Cost of Living under or at the national average
Property Taxes under or at national average (hoping to buy a condo)
Liberal or middle of the road
Decent Public Transportation (may be getting around without a car)
Animal friendly
Unusual, quirky, independent is good!
Growing or at least stable economy( both on city and state level)
Small business Friendly is a plus as well (i am semi self employed and may down the road want to start/buy a small business)

I have some ideas but rather then list then I want to see what you think..Thank You!

Any thoughts welcome !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 12:59 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Tucson, AZ, but doesn't fit the decent public transportation category, is fairly liberal for Arizona,
Pittsburgh, PA probably middle of the road politically?, not sure how quirky it is,
Cleveland suburbs, not quirky, but the rest probably, cold and snow, too! University circle area, but prop taxes there high, nice around there, open-minded
Savannah, I think it's more liberal than most of Georgia, probably a bit quirky (I like anything quirky, too!!), not sure about public transportation there
Nashville, liberal, low taxes, definitely quirky, not sure about transp.

Some ideas!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:23 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestlessGal View Post

Here is my "wish list":
Midsize/smaller city (say over 100,00 to a million)
Decent Public Transportation (may be getting around without a car)

Growing or at least stable economy (both on city and state level)
Small business Friendly

Cost of Living under or at the national average
Property Taxes under or at national average (hoping to buy a condo)

Unusual, quirky, independent is good!
Liberal or middle of the road
Animal friendly
You've listed 9 goals with some overlap but you probably have a few others not mentioned.
If the odds of achieving all in one place were better... it would be swamped with transplants.

I suspect the closest you'll get are a few neighborhoods within a rather few cities.
Good luck.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Thanks Nancy and Mr Rational!! Nancy..Pittsburgh has come up severa times in my searches and Savannah is a place I wi do some research on.. Mr R..my wish ist is mine!! It leave s out a lot of things that aren't important to me (IE: schools, kids activities, parking, outdoor sports etc) If I found a city overrun with transpants with my wishist it woud be great as I coud make friends easiy

Old 06-11-2013, 06:35 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
What is your business? That is important in choosing a city, to see your market, and targeted customer base. A business focused on providing services to elders, would do better in a sun belt state.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:30 PM

Hi Jasper

I am self employed doing freelance retail work..and may, down the road be openinbng a smal shop or an e-commerce site. So I am not looking for a 9-5 type job--but do want an area with at kleast an average economy

Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I'd look into major college towns, as they are more likely to fit most of your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues