U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2013, 06:29 AM
 
3,047 posts, read 6,582,611 times
Reputation: 2057

Advertisements

I was not sure where to post this so thought I would here. I am having conflict on what state I should move to. I have a chronic medical condition that is made me worse with weather. Though no matter what I have pain in extremes whether it be cold or hot I have more severe reaction. Anyhow I moved from MI about 5 years ago and away from the only family member I have my mom. I am 34 though. Anyhow I can take care of myself and work from home but still am limited and my condition makes it hard to meet people etc.
I have lived in a couple places and CA was overall the best climate but due to expense I have to move. I have researched almost every state and most have either cold and snow or hot and humid. So NC for overall though not perfect seems to be the best in terms of weather and being affordable. So I was going to move there and try it for 6 months so at that time I could visit my hometown in MI and see how winter is. That being said I really just want to move back to where I know and closer to my mom. I could try MI for 6 months which put me in mid winter and if winter was so bad though I would have to stick this one out for most of it I could move. I pretty much know winter will be painful on me but I wonder if having family near would be better for me.
Sorry this is so long but I was wondering if anyone could offer advice or thoughts
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
11,828 posts, read 26,811,452 times
Reputation: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I was not sure where to post this so thought I would here. I am having conflict on what state I should move to. I have a chronic medical condition that is made me worse with weather. Though no matter what I have pain in extremes whether it be cold or hot I have more severe reaction. Anyhow I moved from MI about 5 years ago and away from the only family member I have my mom. I am 34 though. Anyhow I can take care of myself and work from home but still am limited and my condition makes it hard to meet people etc.
I have lived in a couple places and CA was overall the best climate but due to expense I have to move. I have researched almost every state and most have either cold and snow or hot and humid. So NC for overall though not perfect seems to be the best in terms of weather and being affordable. So I was going to move there and try it for 6 months so at that time I could visit my hometown in MI and see how winter is. That being said I really just want to move back to where I know and closer to my mom. I could try MI for 6 months which put me in mid winter and if winter was so bad though I would have to stick this one out for most of it I could move. I pretty much know winter will be painful on me but I wonder if having family near would be better for me.
Sorry this is so long but I was wondering if anyone could offer advice or thoughts
Thank you
I know as much as you probably want to live near family, it's about how you feel. If you're in pain all the time, it's not going to be fun. You could always visit. Since you work from home, could you live in 2 places as the weather changes? I know that could be expensive though. Would you live in a camper to allow that? What part of NC are you thinking about. Although the weather is more mild, some areas get really cold on the west side by the mountains. It is for a short time though. I think NC is a good choice.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 12:21 PM
 
3,047 posts, read 6,582,611 times
Reputation: 2057
Thank you and you are right. I am moving to NC first till I can visit during the winter. I have a condition where I can't even wear socks sometimes from pain so items like boots are impossible and why climate is huge issue. You are wise about I can't have what I want but need to focus on how my body will feel. I am thinking probably Raleigh area. I have thought of the 2 places and did that one year but it is hard financially and mentally as well. I need to try to find a place I can call home. So I will see how I do in NC and then visit to see how winter is since I have not been in one for 5 years.
Thank you again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 12:38 PM
 
1,974 posts, read 2,723,689 times
Reputation: 3492
http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ity-state.html

Go to the Retirement Forum. The "women retiring alone to new city state" thread. Go to the last couple of pages (page 603, I think). A couple of the women talk about why NC is not a good place to live.

Last edited by Fran66; 06-16-2013 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
11,828 posts, read 26,811,452 times
Reputation: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...ity-state.html

Go to the Retirement Forum. The "women retiring alone to new city state" thread. Go to the last couple of pages (page 603, I think). A couple of the women talk about why NC is not a good place to live.
The OP is only 34. unless you were just pointing out taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 PM
 
4,787 posts, read 9,303,592 times
Reputation: 12632
The Raleigh/ Durham area has hot, humid summers. If you don't like sticky heat it's going to be pretty uncomfortable for a good four months of the year.

Really, the only place that truly suits your needs is parts of coastal CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 PM
 
1,974 posts, read 2,723,689 times
Reputation: 3492
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
The OP is only 34. unless you were just pointing out taxes.
Eh, ya think that might have been the reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 11:24 PM
 
3,047 posts, read 6,582,611 times
Reputation: 2057
This forum has a lot of people with a good sense of humor and can make me laugh which I need right now. So thank you and for your thoughts. I agree that the weather of San Diego for ex is almost perfect. Where I lived in CA which is Thousand Oaks often in the summer it would hit 100 and though it is dry heat it is still hot. I am going to try though NC because I have to look long term and for long term CA is just too expensive. I know there will be humid times and some cold but overall not as harsh as other places or for at least less of time.
Thank you again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2013, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Indiana
45 posts, read 91,891 times
Reputation: 40
If you were in NC for a year or so, and you felt it was working out for you, would your mom consider moving near you? That way you would have family and better weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Asheville, NC
11,828 posts, read 26,811,452 times
Reputation: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynightz View Post
If you were in NC for a year or so, and you felt it was working out for you, would your mom consider moving near you? That way you would have family and better weather.
Good point!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top