U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 09:06 AM

5 posts, read 6,305 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Washington, DC to Austin, TX. I am going for grad school, which starts on August 26. I am leaving on August 2 and going on a week-long road trip through the south, ending at Austin.

So I will be getting to Austin two weeks before school starts. My question is, is this enough time in the city before starting school? It is enough time to take care of everything I need to do in a new city? aka car registration, shopping for my apartment, getting acclimated, etc?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 12:34 PM

281 posts, read 536,786 times
I think two weeks is plenty of time. Of course you should be looking for apartments before you go, narrow it down to three or so choices, then visit each when you get there possibly having the application already filled out so you can pick immediately. Where are you staying until you find a place? Also, I cannot imagine it would take too much time to get your car registered and get a new license. Maybe a day at the DMV. Once those two are done and you have your home set up, you have enough free time to just relax and explore the area before starting school.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2013, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 6,305 times
Turns out I'll have three weeks there. I have already found an apartment. Basically I want to have everything 100% sorted out before starting school so that I can focus only on that and not have to worry about things. Plus it's like a nice vacation to enjoy the city and meet some people (don't know anyone) between work and starting school.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:32 PM

6,066 posts, read 8,324,253 times
Plenty of time! Good luck with your new city!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:09 PM

17,999 posts, read 22,723,480 times
Oh how exciting for you! I love Austin!

Anything you have to do, other than move into your apt, can be taken care of easily in the time you have.

To meet people in Texas, all you have to do is go to one of the fun bars - I went to one years ago that's famous for it's pitchers of margaritas, can't remember the name of it. Then just walk up to a table of people you think look like fun and tell them you just moved to town, and don't know anyone, and you wondered if you could buy the next pitcher and join them. You'll be fast friends before you know it! Texas is the friendliest place I've ever visited, from CA to WA to TN to Mexico, to Canada. And they loved me even though I'm a democrat - even the republican ones :-)

Old 06-18-2013, 01:45 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,554,226 times
I have had to rush as well with a move and what I encourage is that items you can do from where you are now to start even if it means research. For ex if you need furniture look online,the rental you sound like you have in place,etc. I think getting acclimated takes time though. Everyone is different but it takes time to feel settled and more at home. For myself once I find those everyday things you do like a coffee shop/restaurants,grocery,have structure in my day with work etc things feel more settled
Good luck and move safe

Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,607,901 times
One more suggestion: Take a part of a day and plan your route to and from school. If you plan to drive to your classes, find out where they will be, drive to the building(s) so you can see about how long it takes, look for available parking and then look for Plan-B parking when the closest parking isn't available.

If you plan instead to take public transportation (I don't know Austin at all so I don't know what kind of public transportation they have), get the schedule, find out where you get on the bus/train/whatever and where it lets you off that's closest to your classroom buildings.

Do this before your first day of classes so you aren't driving around like a lunatic and making yourself late for class and panicked in the process.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:09 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,781,961 times
We moved here a year ago. Our son just graduated from college and is heading here to Austin for Grad school. I believe he starts Aug 27, he plans to arrive on July 31st to do all the things you mentioned. The weather will take the longest to acclimate too but having lived here a year I can tell you that you will start to acclimate. The humidity is something you somewhat get used too. The heat is just the heat, we all just grin and bear it.
Austin is a great city, lots to do and tons of active young folks.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 AM

281 posts, read 536,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh how exciting for you! I love Austin!

Anything you have to do, other than move into your apt, can be taken care of easily in the time you have.

To meet people in Texas, all you have to do is go to one of the fun bars - I went to one years ago that's famous for it's pitchers of margaritas, can't remember the name of it. Then just walk up to a table of people you think look like fun and tell them you just moved to town, and don't know anyone, and you wondered if you could buy the next pitcher and join them. You'll be fast friends before you know it! Texas is the friendliest place I've ever visited, from CA to WA to TN to Mexico, to Canada. And they loved me even though I'm a democrat - even the republican ones :-)
Yikes! I have never thought of doing this but that's a great idea!!! I don't know if I have the nerves to do it though lol...but if I turn the tables and I'm that one with the friends and a stranger walked up and offered to buy us drinks and said they were new in town just looking to meet people, I'd totally welcome them with open arms and say hey sit by me new friend! I will have to remember that suggestion!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 PM

7,663 posts, read 8,950,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdunn View Post
I am moving from Washington, DC to Austin, TX. I am going for grad school, which starts on August 26. I am leaving on August 2 and going on a week-long road trip through the south, ending at Austin.

So I will be getting to Austin two weeks before school starts. My question is, is this enough time in the city before starting school? It is enough time to take care of everything I need to do in a new city? aka car registration, shopping for my apartment, getting acclimated, etc?

Thoughts?
Getting acclimated can take up to a year. The rest of it shouldn't take more than two weeks. I would start looking at apartments now though. While it may not be practical to visit them beforehand, you can at least get a list of places in your price range that you can look at right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues