Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 06:42 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,836,720 times

Advertisements

Ok, I already know that I cannot take the ezpass out of my car and use it in my 16ft Penske rental. I emailed ezpass and they said I could register the truck and pick up a new ezpass. I explained it was a rental and they said it was fine. So - my husband is picking up the truck on Monday and I'm going to get all the information from it and go to a local ezpass office and pick up a transponder for it. I'm still a little unsure but the woman on the email said it was fine. I said that I would probably be renting the same truck at a different time (different license plate, etc.) and she said that it was still fine...I could then just change that info online.

Anybody else done this before? It sure would make it easier. Traveling from Virginia to Vermont - all the way up 95 to 91. My little brother and husband will be taking turns driving the truck and I'll be driving the pick up with a utility trailer (with proper ezpass installed). Not having to have one of us stop at ezpass would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 AM

194 posts, read 1,198,322 times
Sounds like alot of work just to save a few minutes. If you plan it right you can hit them all in the middle of the night and not have to worry about it anyway.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:09 AM

Yeah, we plan on hitting them all in the middle of the night. But, I will be 5 minutes from the ezpass place to pick up a pass....just hoping I'm not doing it for nothing. We are leaving the night of 2 July so I don't know what traffic will be like and I just assume not have one of us stuck in a line. If it was just a one time thing...but we might be doing this another time and if we get the pass now, we won't have to worry about it. I'm going to call and see what they say.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:10 PM

8,071 posts, read 9,985,879 times
Might wish to do yourself a little favor and get over to 81...depending on where in Virginia you are. Even so, if you take 95, get on 287 south of NYC, take it West and North to the NYS Thruway, go up the Thruway to the Mass pike East, and then pick up 91 North around Springfield. It adds miles, but with a truck and car in tow, you will have much easier driving and save time (and aggravation) getting across the GW and over to 95 (The Merritt--UGH). With a truck you can't take the Palisades to 287 East to 84 East to Hartford to 91. No trucks on the Palisades.

EZ Pass will help you along the way. Turn it in when you are done so you don't incur the monthly fees, even if you don't use it. Not many places in Vermont (any?) which have tolls and take EZ Pass.

Edit: Just saw where you are> Take 66 to 81 to 84/86 in Scranton, then 84 to 91 in Hartford. (No Tolls, so no EZ Pass needed.) Assuming you are going to the East side of VT. Otherwise, I'll give you the West side Route.

TB

Last edited by Ted Bear; 06-27-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
Personally I would not get a e-z pass for a short term rental. Once you put the licence plate into their database, you will get hit for all (that you then have to dispute) e-z pass volitation that truck get for the rest of its life.

You can delete it from your account, but on their database side they still would have 'attached' to your account forever.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Personally I would not get a e-z pass for a short term rental. Once you put the licence plate into their database, you will get hit for all (that you then have to dispute) e-z pass volitation that truck get for the rest of its life.

You can delete it from your account, but on their database side they still would have 'attached' to your account forever.
You have a good point there.... Definitely something to think about. Say I turn it in after I come back... I'm calling them today to ask about it.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Might wish to do yourself a little favor and get over to 81...depending on where in Virginia you are. Even so, if you take 95, get on 287 south of NYC, take it West and North to the NYS Thruway, go up the Thruway to the Mass pike East, and then pick up 91 North around Springfield. It adds miles, but with a truck and car in tow, you will have much easier driving and save time (and aggravation) getting across the GW and over to 95 (The Merritt--UGH). With a truck you can't take the Palisades to 287 East to 84 East to Hartford to 91. No trucks on the Palisades.

EZ Pass will help you along the way. Turn it in when you are done so you don't incur the monthly fees, even if you don't use it. Not many places in Vermont (any?) which have tolls and take EZ Pass.

Edit: Just saw where you are> Take 66 to 81 to 84/86 in Scranton, then 84 to 91 in Hartford. (No Tolls, so no EZ Pass needed.) Assuming you are going to the East side of VT. Otherwise, I'll give you the West side Route.

TB
We plan to be going through NYC around midnight which we've done before with no issues. I hesitate with the 81 route because we've done that before....and it adds A LOT of time....a ton of time. My slow driving parents took the normal route and we decided to go scenic via 81...took forever so that is my only hesitation. I'll have to relook that route.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:24 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
You have a good point there.... Definitely something to think about. Say I turn it in after I come back... I'm calling them today to ask about it.
Its not the E-Zpass transponder that is the problem, (you would not leave it in the truck anyway). Its the Licence Plate on the truck.

When I travel to the NY area, I take my E-Zpass transponder and put it in the rent-a-car. I register the car's plate in the ezpass website to my account, and delete it after i return the car.

I got 'hit' for a toll violation on that car a year after I deleted the plate from my account. Got it removed, but it took time, and was a hassle, I had to send them doc showing, I deleted the car (plate) from my account (for some reason they could not look that up themselfs) . And it was a rental and had to show the rental dates.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 AM

So, I was still going to go ahead and get the EZ Pass.....got the truck yesterday morning (my husband did). I came home from work, got the info of the car, call the EZ Pass people and the woman says it takes 24 hours for the pass to take effect. She gives me the local number of the EZ Pass here in Northern Virginia and says I can call, give them my info, and just pick up the pass tomorrow. I call and call...no answer. I decide to drive the 18 miles to the place but I stop at a stoplight and try to call them again. Someone answers. I pull off the side of the road, thinking I can give them all this info....the woman says I need to come in and if I can get there by 7pm (when they close) I will be good to go for driving tonight (24 hours later). ....well....apparently it takes 48 hours for the pass to take effect out of state. The woman says - it won't do me any good for driving tonight if I'm going out of Virginia. Sigh.....I did a u-turn and went back home. We'll be traveling at night so hopefully any toll lines won't be too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues