U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 PM

268 posts, read 1,022,962 times

Advertisements

We did...

We moved from Maryland to SC and the moving company from Maryland
royally screwed us.

Quote was 3600.00.. Ended up paying double before the end of it and of course we weren't told this until the day of our move when we HAD to be out of our old home..

Be careful and do your research before hiring a moving company!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,970,430 times
Both times we used a moving company, it was through corporate relocation so we had good experiences. On our last move, we were debating whether to move ourselves via moving company or have DH's new employer's relocation department do the work. I'm glad we picked the latter because as I was doing research, I would read horror stories, such as yours, of paying double what the quoted amount was. Even worse, if you didn't pay up, these companies would keep your stuff. I don't get why it's such a screwed up industry.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:11 AM

415 posts, read 2,160,263 times
To save yourself the aggravation of a bad move. NEVER , NEVER , NEVER, select your mover off of the internet. always get an in home estimate and a written copy. Make sure you show them everything and tell them everything about your new home. With full accurate information the moving company can and will give you a binding ( guaranteed) priced move. But the one big thing never to do, again is NEVER PICK THE CHEAPEST MOVER, you will e asking for trouble. get at least 3 estimates. throw out the high estimate, throw out the low estimate and go with the one in the middle. Look for honesty and truthfulnesses, before price

Old 11-08-2007, 06:09 AM

268 posts, read 1,022,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
To save yourself the aggravation of a bad move. NEVER , NEVER , NEVER, select your mover off of the internet. always get an in home estimate and a written copy. Make sure you show them everything and tell them everything about your new home. With full accurate information the moving company can and will give you a binding ( guaranteed) priced move. But the one big thing never to do, again is NEVER PICK THE CHEAPEST MOVER, you will e asking for trouble. get at least 3 estimates. throw out the high estimate, throw out the low estimate and go with the one in the middle. Look for honesty and truthfulnesses, before price
I have learned my lesson...

I should have checked the BBB website first... They have had 28 complaints since opening in 2005 AND 9 more since our move.!!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,485,518 times
At least you did get your items moved. My poor mother paid the movers what they asked but got a truckload of somone elses items. They never did get this straightened out. She just lost the majority of her personal items. Then there are the many stories regarding movers stealing so many personal items. Really check out who does your moving before you sign with anyone!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 12:11 PM

4,078 posts, read 6,418,343 times
After repeated bad experiences with moving companies I will never use one again. If I could not move myself I would sell my furniture or donate it. That would be cheaper that the scams these moving companies pull off.
My last move, just for a baseline I got a moving estimate of $6830, I moved myself for less than $1500.
Don

Old 11-08-2007, 01:00 PM

415 posts, read 2,160,263 times
Default Paying for services needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
After repeated bad experiences with moving companies I will never use one again. If I could not move myself I would sell my furniture or donate it. That would be cheaper that the scams these moving companies pull off.
My last move, just for a baseline I got a moving estimate of $6830, I moved myself for less than $1500.
Don
Yes you got a quote for 6850.00 I bet it included the mover doing all the packing, and any crating, pad wrapping all the furniture, disasymbling any thing that needed to be , like beds / table, it probably included full replacement insurance, loading the truck, driving the truck, providing all the fuel, unloading and setting up the house, and re-asyambling the items they took apart, so you are right for you all that work was not worth the difference, but that does not make it a rip off, it is just what it cost to provide the service. a rip off is when you do not get the service for the money you pay
And the 1500.00 you told us was probably the cost of the rental truck, not including all the other stuff to go with it, like pads, fuel insurance
So don;t say a company ripped you off when you did not even use the company

Old 11-08-2007, 02:11 PM

13,388 posts, read 21,943,946 times
Touchy, touchy - I didn't notice donsabi mention that he got ripped off by the company that quoted him $6830?

He brought up a lot of valid info, as did jkwing. Sounds to me that jkwing might have something invested in the moving industry.

Moving personal effects is its own industry - many line haul and transportation companies refuse to ship personal effects because of many issues, and the biggest one is that it is "personal". People are really attached to their "things".

That pewter dish your Aunt Martha gave you may seem like it's invaluable, but would probably not fetch more than $10 on a yard sale. Who determines the true value of your stuff?

I have moved more than 20 different times in my life, and I'm not even middle aged yet. What is near and dear to you, you should transport yourself as far as I'm concerned. I would definitely sell the big stuff that's replaceable (couches, desks, beds, etc.) instead of paying thousands in transportation fees. Not to mention the stuff people have in storage for years - oy vey! Half the time the stuff being stored isn't worth the amount the people renting the unit are paying for it!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:35 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,512,788 times
I have had terrible movers and I have only moved locally. American Van Lines. Horrible. Stole things and did not even show up and the new people I had sold my house to were already there with their things. It was one of the worse experiences of my life. I had to scramble and pay extra for another mover to come.
I am very organized and I had done lots of research and had everything all written down , but they did not honor their contract. American.

Can anyone recommend a mover for cross-country moves?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:03 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,970,430 times
Someone's post reminded of this: a lot of moving companies will outsourse the actual moving of the furniture/belongings to a local company. Or, if the company doesn't have enough drivers, they may even outsource the shipment of your stuff. Look into that when asking for a price quote. I say this b'c if a local company is going to be moving your stuff, you want to make sure they are trustworthy and not just some idiot they pulled off the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or