U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 06:23 AM

23 posts, read 9,113 times

Advertisements

I've always been close to my parents and siblings and enjoy visiting them on a regular basis, but I've also always hated the Houston area which is where we live. I just want to live somewhere pretty (or at least not completely flat and ugly like Houston), somewhere where there are a lot of outdoor activities close by and it isn't miserably hot and humid for half of the year.

There very much is an internal struggle going on.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 AM

392 posts, read 195,967 times
What about Charleston SC?

Old 08-16-2018, 03:49 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,774,200 times
Can you take a trip out to California and stay for a week? You'll know if you want to be there long term. I couldn't wait to get away from my home state personally! I thrive on new locations and new starts. Gypsy bloodline. I could move every 3-4 years if I had the cash to do it. I told someone the other day I probably won't "settle down" till I'm 80. LOL.

Old 08-20-2018, 03:21 PM

5,410 posts, read 5,834,561 times
This thread is right up my alley haha. I think family is important but I also think it’s up to someone to make the move otherwise you’re stuck in whatever godawful miserable city you were born and let’s be honest they mostly suck. The only reason anyone lives in about 80% of US cities is because someone a long time ago got tired of walking or riding their horse and stopped there and generations have felt obligated to stay there out of a sense of guilt. The buck has to stop somewhere, make the move I say!

My company is operated remotely and we can live anywhere, so my GF is leaving her mom behind and me my dad behind to move where we want to live. I hate this place with a passion, I’d rather live anywhere else. My GF will go visit her mom every month, cheap air travel, and I’ll make it home often enough plus my dad can visit, he travels a lot, and we’ll have father-son trips. I love time with my dad but he’s not a motivating reason to stay in my case as he travels about half of the year anyway and has a second home in Cabo. I can’t stay somewhere I hate because he’s here sometimes, I have to live my life.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:23 PM

24,755 posts, read 23,712,888 times
My husband's job forced us to live where he worked. I liked a few of those places. Well, a couple. I had to figure out how to like one of them.

As much as I've enjoyed visiting NYC, I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:50 AM

3,445 posts, read 1,470,281 times
I'm with you on the family thing. It's so important throughout your whole life. Because it's so chic to move all over the place these days, many young people aren't as close to their families and don't save enough money for their futures as they use to. Moving is expensive and looking for the perfect utopia (that really doesn't exist) is tiring. Is cost of living something that's important to you? I noticed you listed places that have a lot of name recognition, but are expensive and don't always live up to their TV and movie images. You could move to somewhere like Atlanta, Charlotte, or Nashville (3 excellent areas), be relatively close to your family, have a better climate, be able to afford way more home for the dollar, have more disposable income, and save more for your future. Sorry if I'm sounding like a dad, but I have 4 adult children (22-27), lol. Just think about it. Make out a list and prioritize. It always helps me out. No matter what you decide to do, good luck!

Old 08-21-2018, 12:14 PM

26,429 posts, read 62,665,397 times
I moved from Michigan to Orange County many moons ago. Left my family behind. Took my car and my Fiancee and went to where I did not really know anyone. I rented a room on a sailboat for a year. I was making a lot of money, made a lot of awesome friends. The weather was perfect. Really amazing places Like Zion Canyon, Sequoia/Kings Canyon, Joshua Tree, Napa Valley, Big Sur, Catalina, Island and the Channel islands, etc were within an easy one day drive. The people are beautiful (as long as you do not look too closely, but a lot more people are fit than most places), the mountains are beautiful (except during the dry part of the the year or when they are on fire), flowers bloom year round, beaches, endless bicycle and hiking opportunities (when it is not too hot). It was heavenly.

For a while.

There are things you have to consider and things you do not anticipate. Will you fly back regularly like you imagine? It does not cost all that much. Nope, probably not. You are going to lose at least 7 hours each way for travel, so you are not going to fly out on Saturday, just to spend the night and fly back. Besides your weekends will have other demands.

But living in such a cool and warm place your family will come visit you all the time won't they?

Only at first. after a few visits, they will want to go other places. You will not have room for them to stay with you, and hotels car rental - everything is expensive.

Then one day you will start dating. If SO is from California, you are going to get tied there. There will be no returning to live near your family at some later date. S/he will hate New York no mater what s/he says before moving there. If you connect with someone from some other state (most people are), you now have to split your trips back between two different places. Avoid dating.

If you eventually have kids there, you will do so without family support - which is critical.

After a while the magic wears off at least somewhat and you miss family, and trees, and water, and even thunderstorms and snow. For me it took something over 15 years. Then it took another few years to decide we needed to get out. Then another few years to actually sell the house and accomplish the move. After seeing my parents and siblings around my children, I eventually realized my greatest regret in my life is that we did not move back sooner. We lived there for 18 years and for our family that was way too long.

We do miss some aspects of the lifestyle and really miss our friends. But when I go back, it no longer seems magical. Instead of exotic mystery, I look at palm trees and I see telephone poles with a poof at the top. The magic just is not there anymore. It is hot, crowded, drab, dry, dead. Everything is new, pristine and conforming. It is hard to find anyplace that has any soul. I do not hate it now. I still very much enjoy spending time there, but I am glad I get to leave after a while. I do not regret moving there, I just regret staying too long.

What I would suggest to you, move out there. Live fast and hard. Do not date seriously. Do not buy a house or even try to save. Just enjoy everything SoCal and the surrounding area has to offer. Make lots of friends and go boating, sailing, diving, skiing, Vegas, the River, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu, Parasail, surf, ocean fishing, extreme hiking, camping, climbing. . . .

Do all the things, Then go back to your family after five years and live a life.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:24 PM

13,842 posts, read 25,223,020 times
Life is supposed to be an adventure. To have one, you have to leave the nest!

I spent 20 years in the Houston area and I was glad to leave. I lived mostly on the North side, Spring area. The weather and the bugs are pretty gruesome. And then there is the traffic. UGH!

Go see and do. Those roads, planes and trains go both ways and you can always go back.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:34 PM

284 posts, read 163,328 times
At your age, do it now. You have a great opportunity to work wherever and you donít have much tying you down. It doesnít have to be permanent either. But at least you can say you tried it

Old 08-21-2018, 12:59 PM

470 posts, read 1,016,926 times
Homebuyers see better price fit in smaller cities
https://www.floridarealtors.org/News...?p=2&id=370078
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.