Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 5,595 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have to move from CA to northern VA (near DC area) sometime beginning of next month and I need help on deciding which service I should go for. What I really want is a fairy good service with a shorter transit time (less than a week). Both departure and destination place is one bedroom apartment.
So here are few options I thought of regarding my situation:

(1) Big moving companies (e.g. United van Lines, Atlas, Allied, Mayflower...)
Pro: They handle everything, loading/unloading, delivery, and so on.
Con: I did not see the good reviews in general (for instance, items are broken, and also infested(roach)). Also longer transit time.

(2) Rental Truck (e.g. U-haul, Penske, Budget Truck...)
Pro: No need to stress out about when I am getting my item back since I am the one that takes a responsible.
Con: I am used to driving with a small car, have not ever driven a truck or even a big car. And since this is a long distance (West to East coast), I am not sure how driving with a truck in a long distance works out. I am also a little bit scared of something like thieves. I mean driving a moving truck means carrying a all home goods, meaning there could be a situation like road thief or so on.

(3) Storage box (e.g. U-Pack, Relocube...)
Pro: Sounds more reliable than (1) since you get your own locker. Also I guess shorter transit time?
Con: Hard to find out a spot to park the storage? Both of my apartments (Departure & Destination) have indoor parking garage, and not sure if I can park the cube in there)

Can someone help me, based on your experience, which service works the best?
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
We used a mover. We did some of our packing, but had the movers do the packing of the stuff that was breakable and/or valuable to us. We interviewed 4 local movers, and chose the one that had great reviews via the BBB and that assured us they could handle moving one of our cars. We had excellent service. I feel that the quality of the local company that owns the franchise, is more important that the name of the national company. So, that's where I'd look for reliable movers. We chose United Van Lines.

I don't know about assuring you a week's timeline. That is something you will have to ask. Scheduling has everything to do with how many moves are going to your destination. A mover will give you a contact person who coordinates the move, and will be your contact person. A mover should give you 1 month free storage. They should be able to explain how your stuff is stored. I wouldn't be afraid of having mixed up loads, unless they are free lance people. They will allow you to watch as they weigh your stuff, if you want to do this.

We found talking to reps from movers very helpful in general. You can expect a written estimate either immediately or very soon after the interview. Don't be afraid to ask a million questions.

As to roaches, I don't know what to think about that. Ask. We had no probs that way. But your stuff will probably not be stored in air conditioned storage.

Plan to keep your personal papers with you at all times on the move. If you can't replace something, or think you might need it, take it with you and keep it with you. Don't leave personal papers or documents in your car at night.

I too was concerned about thieves on the road. I've heard plenty of stories about people stealing uhauls and trucks. Even in our car, I was careful never to mention that we were moving. I was actually asked in a small restaurant about where we were going. I did not divulge that we were moving. I was carrying a few pieces of jewelry, and we had all our documents with us. It would have been disastrous to have lost those items.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
If you like the Upack Relocube except for the parking issue, consider a "terminal-to-terminal" move. You will have to arrange to move your stuff to and from the ABF terminals, where you load/unload the Cubes. It is more work, but can be considerably less expensive than a full-service mover, if your up to it. If "money is no object", then go for full-service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues