U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:05 AM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraychick01 View Post
What are your thoughts on relocating without a job?
I work as an x-ray/MRI tech and want to stay in this field.

My boyfriend doesn't have a specialized degree or anything...
his skill set... golf pro and he's also got education in nuclear power.
Are you licensed Xray tech or just a fan of them?
If you are certified and licensed... go where your license works.
Have at least 3 months of living expenses with you.

As to the BF... if he doesn't have any useful skill by now...
he's not likely to have one suddenly develop anywhere else either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:33 AM

7,281 posts, read 8,866,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

If you are licensed... go where your license works.

Exactly.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 AM

149 posts, read 255,152 times
MrRational...more like MrRedundant.

Quote:

If you are licensed... go where your license works.

Quote:
If you are certified and licensed... go where your license works.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:59 AM

489 posts, read 762,142 times
Go for it. Prepare for the worst (sleeping in the car, eating pork and beans), and expect the best (satisfying job that allows you to maintain your lifestyle).

As long as you live near medical facilities, I doubt you will have trouble fining a job in your field.

-Mike

Old 07-31-2013, 04:52 PM

100 posts, read 98,935 times
I did it! I was laid off in CT and couldn't find anything for over a year. I really wanted out of CT. I had a job offer in Las Vegas but only knew one person there no other support.
I also was considering Atlanta. My cousin told me to move to Atlanta. She said it would take a while to land a job. I also have a bunch of other cousins, great uncle here (family support) I even had a few "friends" here that I meet through Beauty Blogging Community and YouTube.
I moved out of my parents house in CT and in with my cousin. It took me a year and a half to land a permanent job (I worked with a temp agency after a few months of looking, my cousin also owned a boutique in East Atlanta Village so I helped out there).
I also have a passion for cosmetics and makeup (but no real desire to be a makeup artist) so I would do makeup in her store or in peoples homes. I babysat her daughter did chores etc. Continued my college courses online.
My saving grace was that I was still getting unemployment and I had support from my parents they weren't paying my bills but helped when they could.

I think if I moved to Vegas I probably would have felt isolated and alone. I'm not the most outgoing person. I'm very shy then I open up. If I didn't already have a support system in place I'm not sure if I would have made it.
I now have a decent job, my own apartment, and just purchased a car (the one I came here with died RIP)
I always say that moving like that was the dumbest and smartest thing I ever did.

Wow I was rambling. I got a local phone number before I moved here via Google Voice (you can choose the area code) and started applying for jobs. No bites. When I knew I would be living with my cousin I used her address and my local phone number and it still took forever. The job I have now I used my CT # but had an Atlanta address. I don't think it's the phone number. I think it's the address city and state on your resume they can also tell by your prior job history. All of mine was in CT and NY so I couldn't fake be a local no what my address or phone # was.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:55 PM

149 posts, read 255,152 times
Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm glad everything worked out well for you.

I think the out of state address on my resume is a hindrance as well, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgreenel View Post
I did it! I was laid off in CT and couldn't find anything for over a year. I really wanted out of CT. I had a job offer in Las Vegas but only knew one person there no other support.
I also was considering Atlanta. My cousin told me to move to Atlanta. She said it would take a while to land a job. I also have a bunch of other cousins, great uncle here (family support) I even had a few "friends" here that I meet through Beauty Blogging Community and YouTube.
I moved out of my parents house in CT and in with my cousin. It took me a year and a half to land a permanent job (I worked with a temp agency after a few months of looking, my cousin also owned a boutique in East Atlanta Village so I helped out there).
I also have a passion for cosmetics and makeup (but no real desire to be a makeup artist) so I would do makeup in her store or in peoples homes. I babysat her daughter did chores etc. Continued my college courses online.
My saving grace was that I was still getting unemployment and I had support from my parents they weren't paying my bills but helped when they could.

I think if I moved to Vegas I probably would have felt isolated and alone. I'm not the most outgoing person. I'm very shy then I open up. If I didn't already have a support system in place I'm not sure if I would have made it.
I now have a decent job, my own apartment, and just purchased a car (the one I came here with died RIP)
I always say that moving like that was the dumbest and smartest thing I ever did.

Wow I was rambling. I got a local phone number before I moved here via Google Voice (you can choose the area code) and started applying for jobs. No bites. When I knew I would be living with my cousin I used her address and my local phone number and it still took forever. The job I have now I used my CT # but had an Atlanta address. I don't think it's the phone number. I think it's the address city and state on your resume they can also tell by your prior job history. All of mine was in CT and NY so I couldn't fake be a local no what my address or phone # was.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:44 PM

100 posts, read 98,935 times
I think it made me look a little unstable. All of my work experience was in NY and CT and I also think that it looked like I moved around a lot. The part of CT where I used to live was literally 5 mins from the NY state line. So up there its normal to see NY, CT, NY CT.
But someone down here wouldn't get that or would I expect them to.

Good luck to you! Try just putting the city and state on your resume. Everyone seems to have cell #'s with random area codes these days.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:49 PM

11 posts, read 30,546 times
Moving without a job is scary, no doubt about it. There are some great advice and the most important is really to have some money saved to begin the new life. Yet an important factor a place to stay. If you have a place to stay with friends or family and not having to pay rent this will be a huge help.

One ought to take risks sometimes although it is scary.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:30 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,361,224 times
I've often heard you ought to have money to live for at least 6 months, if moving without a job. If you're willing to do dishes or clean rooms at a hotel, you may be lucky and find such a job right away. I moved with a few thousand dollars and did Ok because I had unemployment benefits till I got a job. Or I had friends to stay with to get me through the first weeks. It can be done and you should try to take it as it comes and not fight what comes your way. If you're a person who needs the utmost comfort and needs to have extra money at all times, it may be better to have a job lined up. It's up to the individual. Not everyone can stand the idea of insecurity. Some see moving as an adventure, some see it as an anxiety attack waiting to happen.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 AM

4,811 posts, read 5,358,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
Some see moving as an adventure, some see it as an anxiety attack waiting to happen.
So true and well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues