Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 12:25 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,613,816 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Portland from Pittsburgh soon and I can tell you it is difficult to apply for work when you are out of state. I'm going to apply for temp work as well as still putting in my resume and application wherever I can find work. As far as somewhere to stay, I'm staying at a guesthouse (500 inc utilities) until I can find something permanent (whether it's a roomie or apartment.) Many people won't rent out to out of staters either.

The best I can tell you is to go the temp route (employment and housing) since you are going through a transition period, until you figure out your finances and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 01:21 PM

814 posts, read 2,038,492 times
Just do it!!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 AM

10,307 posts, read 13,840,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I would never relocate jobless unless I had several months living expenses saved up.
I've never had the luxury of having several months of savings when I've moved. I moved because I wasn't making any money to do that. That being said, I would never, ever relocate without a job. Sure, there are some success stories, but going with no job seems to me to be a recipe for failure. Even if you do have savings you can't live on that forever.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:48 PM

874 posts, read 1,261,160 times
As long as you have enough money saved up to keep you afloat for a few months, you're set. I tried job-hunting from afar, and it's a lost cause. The job market is still so skewed toward greater supply than demand that, unless you're a high-level executive or have a sought-after skill, you're unlikely to land something while in another state. One compromise would be if you can find a part-time job or contract position which would help take some pressure off while you get planted.

I finally relocated where I wanted to go and couldn't be happier. It all worked out, although not immediately. I'd say go! You can't wait forever.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,675,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideworld View Post
As long as you have enough money saved up to keep you afloat for a few months, you're set. I tried job-hunting from afar, and it's a lost cause. The job market is still so skewed toward greater supply than demand that, unless you're a high-level executive or have a sought-after skill, you're unlikely to land something while in another state. One compromise would be if you can find a part-time job or contract position which would help take some pressure off while you get planted.

I finally relocated where I wanted to go and couldn't be happier. It all worked out, although not immediately. I'd say go! You can't wait forever.
Yep. None of the industries I have experience in will give me the time of day from out of state. If I waited till I had a job before moving, I'd still be living in El Paso, miserable. I leave next Saturday for a new state and city. This will be my 8th big move with no job lined up.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,311,888 times
Ankhharu, good luck to you! I think it'll work out fine because you sound like you are willing to do without things to be able to live where you want to live.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:24 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,437,588 times
I am taking a moderate approach. I am orig. from CA so I have family to stay will while I am out here so I can search and if the run a background check it will show I lived at that address. Would I just go to a new state cold, no connects, prob. not.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,311,888 times
I did move without knowing a soul years ago but now I'd be scared to try it I think. Old age...all that wisdom comes at a cost!

Old 08-21-2013, 04:46 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,608,141 times
Well I'm moving back to Denver next week and moving with no job. Most of the jobs I've applied to basically have said "we don't interview out of state candidates."

So I need to take a chance-I have a house & 6 months of savings-

Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,790,731 times
When I wanted to relocate across the country to a new city, I spent thousands flying back and forth to interviews and was always rejected for a local candidate. What a waste of money and time.

Finally I just moved and after a few months found my first job. I got a lot more interviews when I actually had a local address on my resume and I could take the interview the next day.

Unless you have the ability to transfer from one job to another to your dream town with your current employer, or some unique skill, the only way to get a job in a new town is to move there and start looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues