Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 PM

803 posts, read 1,667,991 times

Advertisements

Definitely not unusual, we are perhaps more mobile than the previous generation with millions of twentysomethings moving around before putting roots down somewhere. I have moved twice since finishing college, and had a job lined up both times.

I've read about OKC on here and don't blame you for wanting to move. That said, if I were you I wouldn't bother with Charlotte again unless the job market there improves significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 PM

322 posts, read 584,711 times
3x.

Moved from college-law school-job in Houston.

I'm gearing up for a move to Europe though.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:46 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
8 times in 5 years and that does not include all the moves I have made in my adult life. I can pretty much adapt to wherever we happen to live at the moment so no issues there. If I have to move again I will, I am an expert at packing.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:44 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In a heart beat. You're young with no obligations beyond yourself.
Try to line up something or have a pile of cash first though.
This

I've moved 6 times in my life and am a firm believer in, if you're single and childless... live where ever it makes you happy. Life is short.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
While you are getting good experience, why not give Norman serious thought. A family member lived in OKC for awhile and always spoke favorably of Norman.

Moving there would be really easier than moving across country. You could get a year or two more experience and perhaps then could find a better location for yourself.

I am assuming that the commute to your present job would not be a killer.

Many people change jobs and locations in their lives. I think the best thing to do is to have a plan.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM

500 posts, read 1,173,907 times
If you think you hate OKC now, just wait until you've lived there a while and meet a great significant other that you want to marry, and then you're stuck there for the rest of your life!

You can always start from the bottom and work your way up in a place that you love. It's a lot harder to stay stuck at the top when it's a place that you would rather slit your wrists than wake up in every day.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:53 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post

I've read about OKC on here and don't blame you for wanting to move. That said, if I were you I wouldn't bother with Charlotte again unless the job market there improves significantly.
I keep trying as hard as I can to find the good in OKC, but it's really like living in a city of 1.3 million that thinks its a town of 13,000. It's absolutely unbelievable that a major American city has such a low standard of living. There are a lot of people around here that are dreaming big dreams about what this place could be, and if it could happen it might actually be a nice place to live. However, I don't see OKC ever truly changing until it gets overrun by transplants who simply demand better. That I don't see happening before I am too old to care.

I may wait until the market in Charlotte picks up again and move back there. Charlotte was the perfect fit for me. It fits my personality, my lifestyle, and my aspirations.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:56 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
I've moved lots of times, lol....can't bother to actually count. Maybe since 18-- a dozen times.
In your case, you know the answer. You're not happy, & you probably didn't belong there.
It's a no brainer....bite the bullet & do what ya gotta do to find where you do actually belong.
All signs point to Charlotte.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:57 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
I'm going to start my adult life at 16 1/2 when I started work in the oilfield roughnecking in 1974. I have move over 40 times and lived (had residence in them sometimes 3 or 4 weeks sometimes years) in 23 states. I have slowed down alot in the last couple of years.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:37 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Have moved over 20 times as an adult but now in retirement we're right where we intend to remain until we assume room temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues