U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 05:44 PM

120 posts, read 171,232 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move from the east coast to west coast in the coming months. I was considering driving my car however I imagine I could run into some property theft issues at hotels with a loaded car. My next thought was to just ship my car with some personal belongings, but then I read it's not really possible to do that for a number of reasons. So I'm still planning on shipping my car, but what can I do with the few items I'd like to bring with me? I'll list below the items I am speaking of:

- Road bike
- 32" TV
- Several printers
- Clothes (I doubt I can fit them all into two suitcases)
- Work and personal documents (maybe several boxes worth)
- Various small items

Overall it's not very many items, but I imagine it would be expensive to ship a TV or the heavy boxes of documents. I got a UPack quote of almost $3,000, which is more money than the items themselves are worth. What would be your method in getting the mentioned items cross country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 06:16 PM

28,388 posts, read 61,750,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
I am planning a move from the east coast to west coast in the coming months.
I imagine I could run into some property theft issues at hotels with a loaded car.
Even if you stopped only at the sleaziest of crack ho no tell motels you're really not likely
to face much theft risk. At the Motel 6 to Microtel level no discernible risk.

Quote:
My next thought was to just ship my car with some personal belongings...
Can't do that. Must be empty to ship.

Quote:
Overall it's not very many items, but...
Sell the bike and the printers. Scan the papers. Ship the clothes.

Also ship all the other little things you own and use regularly.
They won't weigh all that much and are just a bother to replace.

While you're at it... sell the car and fly out.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:55 AM

3,048 posts, read 6,554,226 times
I have had my car shipped many times and have filled my car with items. Some companies will allow you to do and would rather you keep it in the trunk but I have put things in the back seat. Some charge an extra fee. When I move from east to west I always ship my car. Time you stay in a hotel, gas, mileage and wear/tear on your car it is the same price.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:26 AM

10,489 posts, read 8,693,750 times
If you're young and single, the fewer things you take the better.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 AM

489 posts, read 758,658 times
Unless you have sentimental attachment to the bike, TV, printers, and various small items, sell them. When you get to your new home, you can replace them if needed.

-Mike

Old 08-15-2013, 11:34 AM

2,820 posts, read 4,913,118 times
How much does it usually cost to ship a vehicle from the east coast to the west coast?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:45 AM

489 posts, read 758,658 times
For our Ford Edge, it was about $2,000. Pickup at your home and delivery to your home increased the cost to about $2,500 for us.

-Mike

Old 08-15-2013, 12:51 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,940,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution View Post
I am planning a move from the east coast to west coast in the coming months. I was considering driving my car however I imagine I could run into some property theft issues at hotels with a loaded car.
I doubt it.

I moved from Jacksonville to Seattle a couple years ago... I brought a 42" TV, a laptop and clothes. The car was full. I stayed 5 nights at Motel 6 and parked in the illuminated parking lot (yes, they do leave the light on for you) and didn't have any issues. Theft was the least of my worries.

If you are thinking of shipping your car I'd think twice... I drove the entire way in a 28 mpg gas guzzler and the coast to coast trip cost me $980 for everything. I spent about $500 in gas (averaged about $3.75 a gallon then) with the other $480 being hotels and food.

I'd drive it for $500 in gas before I would pay 4 or 5 times that price to have it shipped. Even with hotels and food you'll come out ahead. The scenery isn't all that bad either.

Last edited by Kees; 08-15-2013 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: ... fixed typos

Old 08-15-2013, 01:13 PM

4,780 posts, read 5,317,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ5150 View Post
Unless you have sentimental attachment to the bike, TV, printers, and various small items, sell them. When you get to your new home, you can replace them if needed.e
Agreed!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 AM

785 posts, read 1,067,741 times
Seriously, sell it. A TV is a TV. We considered, albeit briefly, to ship our 42" TV. We talked to our neighbor who has worked at FedEx for over 20 years. She said it would have to be crated... which costs $100-$200 and amply padded... even then, who knows. We bought a 36" Vizio smart TV for $250, with 3 year warranty, from WalMart upon our return. We sold our TV for $250. Sweet.

Printers are a dime a dozen.

We stayed at no name hotels, with a packed full SUV, and no issue. Even with stuff on the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues