Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 PM

777 posts, read 1,331,164 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my husband is getting out of the military, we are in AZ. "home of record" is CA, for him, although we've both registered as AZ citizens 5 years ago. Next month, we are moving to OR by choice. Dilemma is, I am taking online courses from an AZ school, and I have 3 classes left before finishing (roughly 6 months til finish). If I register as an OR citizen, I'll be charged out of state resident fees. YET, it takes a year to become a residence of the new state, whether i register or not with OR. So, my question is, does this mean for that year, I'll still be considered an AZ resident? Or is it some twisted loophole where I'm resident no where? Or, perhaps, by AZ standards, I'll be a non-resident, but also to OR standards, still a non-resident? I really don't know... anyone know? My goal is to obviously finish my 6 months worth on AZ residency rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 07:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,274,906 times
You could change your address to one of those Mailbox Etc., type places. One of their services is to forward mail to you. I did this when I moved to Mexico for a year. They would forward my mail to me in Mexico every couple weeks or so, and I kept a US address.

Would you get caught? Do you ever have to go into the office? Would it be worth having to travel there in that case rather than pay out of state tuition?

I'm afraid you would be in no man's land as far as residency for both AZ and OR colleges. Not positive, but that's what I think.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,089,600 times
Use a ups "PO box"

(edited as I first missed the "getting out")

They won't check once you met the requirements of 'getting in'

Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,960,916 times
I don't know OR laws so I'm basing my assumptions on what happens here in FL.

Is your planned move to OR a permanent move? If so, when you move to OR, you'll probably be registering your car in OR, getting an OR driver's license, registering to vote in OR, etc., etc., and you'll be considered an OR resident. That one year thing has only to do with getting in-state tuition, i.e., you'd need to live in OR a year in order to get in-state tuition to an OR school.

But to be considered an OR resident for purposes other than OR in-state tuition, you just need to establish your domicile in OR -- there's no waiting period to become an OR resident. At least, as I said, that's the way it is in FL.

Your question is, can you still get AZ in-state tuition even after you move to OR? I think the answer depends on the AZ school. For example, do they make you sign a statement every year that you're still an AZ resident? If so, and you say yes when you're living in OR, that's fraud. On the other hand, if they just send you tuition bills showing the in-state rate and they never ask you whether you're still living in AZ, well, just pay the bill they send you.

On the other hand, if you're planning to stay in OR only a short time and then come back to AZ, so you won't be changing your driver's license, etc., then you could hang on to your AZ residence and it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,908,751 times
Warning, Most college now re-require "Status" update whenever you update your Address. Also there is anti-fraud software they run there address files thru looking for "Mail Drop" type Address. Many Students using the same address. Etc.

All 'Mail Drops' have to register with USPS.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:09 PM

777 posts, read 1,331,164 times
Blah. See, it's all wishy washy and I even emailed and asked the school and they could hardly answer my questions.

We have somewhat of an intent of becoming Oregon residents, but could always move away in about 2 years for my husband's schooling. Obviously, we could say we're thinking about living there for only a year, and not register, but have to get that temp car registration stuff or whatever. So, could that be a loophole? Sure, I move there, but I don't legally have to register right away whatsoever.

As far as my school goes, everything is electronically done; I really don't recall signing anything about confirming where I live or anything. They do want address updates when I move around, but that's it. But it seems kinda lame that as soon as my address says Oregon, they'll assume I'm now an out of state resident. So, that's why I'm assuming there's likely a time frame before I'll actually be considered an out of state resident to the school, but they're not really answering my questions. I think my best option to pre-register all my remaining classes, while I can, before I even leave the state. I'm allowed to select a "start date" for the classes. So, then, I already paid for them and just happen to live out of state while taking them........... sounds legitimate! But I guess you never know what kind of crap is in a college's fine print and if they'll come after me for several hundred dollars.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,960,916 times
"Seems kinda lame" as in "I don't like it."

Well, if they do come after you, you have some good arguments lined up. Maybe the school will buy them, maybe not. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM

8,073 posts, read 9,994,592 times
In which state will you file income taxes?

Yes, there are certain 'lead/lag' scenarios. Universities are getting very specific about documenting residency. My experience has also been that they will 'work' with you to your benefit if it falls into a 'gray' area.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 PM

25,622 posts, read 21,786,100 times
I'd be careful trying this. Both AZ and OR don't play around with this. Tax dollars are serious business. You will be establishing residency in OR. All of your documents will say you are a resident of OR not AZ. This is the computer age and tax dollars are sought with a vengeance. If you are not a resident, you already know you don't qualify for resident fees. I would not take the chance.

Have you reviewed any of the residency status info on the college websites like this: http://www.pima.edu/new-students/apply/residency.html

I read through some of the others and it looked like you needed to be a resident each time a new semester started.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 08-13-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,938,892 times
I'd check either the AZ state website, or the state school's college website that deals with in state qualifications.

If you still can't find out, I'd call the school and speak with someone in admissions to get the straight scoop. I imagine someone there will be able to advise you.

I don't know if residency in OR for the purposes of DL, for instance, is the same as residency for AZ's purposes. You need specialized advice, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues