Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 AM

652 posts, read 1,652,440 times

Advertisements

I always try to tip when I can. I recently bought some used appliances under warranty. The guy said he would be there at 6:30. I had not moved in yet so I was gonna leave at 8pm because when I called the shop they had closed. They were supposed to be there around 3pm and I know show stuff happens. I told the sales person to let me know by 5pm if he's coming or not. He was rude and said even Comcast doesn't guarantee a time. They actually do now give you a few hours window, and will credit you if they don't show up. Anyway he showed up at 7 minutes to 8. They sent one person to deliver a coil stove and small full size fridge. A tall young skinny kid. I was not happy when I found out that the sales person lied and they do not connect the icemaker to the plumbing. They only attach your hose if it's already installed. Anyway the kid was in and out in less than 10 minutes so I gave his $5 and he seemed happy.

I don't think most people around here tip for deliveries. I had a bed frame, box spring, mattress and headboard and a faux leather futon delivered the next day, they set up the bed and were in an out in under 10 minutes. On the way out I gave had $5 for each, one was already in the truck, which I like that they didn't have their hands out.

Then I bought a dresser, butcher block and coffee/side table set from a thrift store. They were in and out in 5 minutes. Gave each of the $3 and again one was already in the car. So while it's not much if I can I wil give something. It's nice when it's appreciated. If anyone ever asks for more I will say "oh wait yeah give me what I gave you back" and then they can leave empty handed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:10 AM

294 posts, read 372,245 times
I had 4 movers come to pack out my apartment the other day. The guy who had come to do the walkout estimated I had well under 4,000 pounds of stuff, and even he said to not get too crazy with the tip when I asked since the guys usually move quite a bit more stuf. After I saw the number of movers, I went and bought all of them a bottle of water. At the end, I gave each guy $10. I really appreciated their professionalism and speed, but it was all I really had to spare since other aspects of the move are so pricey. I suppose on the other end I will tip the same. I am not sure if unloading is considered tougher than loading, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues