U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 08:42 PM

34 posts, read 44,780 times

Advertisements

My wife and I may be moving across the country (DC to California), and it is a paid relocation so I am not concerned about cutting corners to save $250. We are only moving one smallish apartment worth of stuff, so we don't need a tractor trailer to get the job done.

Does anybody have experience with "full service" moving companies? Maybe could recommend some of the better ones? Ideally, we would box the stuff ourselves, the company would then handle: Moving the boxes out of the apartment and into the truck, driving it across the country, and moving it into the new residence.

I've only done simple U-Haul moves, so I am completely new to this. All I have seen is that Mayflower seems to be a very poor company even though they do provide full-service, cross-country moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 PM

I saw somebody in this forum mention UPack. Their price seems reasonable, so I have one to consider at least

Old 08-17-2013, 09:39 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,858,951 times
Doesn't the company recommend a mover, or help set it up? When I was relocated cross-country, the movers did everything including packing my stuff. Of course, that was back in the day....pre-recession.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:42 PM

489 posts, read 756,269 times
Full service to me is someone who does everything, including the packing.

We had an awesome experience with our Mayflower agent. We packed, they loaded and unloaded. Zero damage of any kind, the truck was exactly on time for loading and unloading.

-Mike

Old 08-17-2013, 09:43 PM

521 posts, read 3,920,187 times
Better based on what? Mayflower is one of largest household goods carriers in North America. Several years ago J.D Powers rated them the #1 moving company in the U.S.

The are scores of very good national van line agents and independent moving companies located within 50 miles of the metropolitan D.C. area. Most already have contract carriage agreements with local employers and local military and government installations.

Ask your HR department for a list of approved carriers and recommendations based on their past performance.
#1 Full-Service Moving Company

Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 PM

Not sure about the details yet, probably will be something where we have the moving company bill them directly. I'd like to have the company handle everything like you said MJ5150, but I'll have to convince my wife that this is a good idea first she prefers we pack things ourselves.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:05 PM

239 posts, read 520,089 times
One of my brothers friends had a relocation package through his new work. They had a packing party and found out the next day that the new company required the moving company to do all the packing (for breakage liability reasons probably). Then they had an unpacking party so the movers could do the packing again.

Check to see what your relocation package requires.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:09 AM

Hehe, OK, thanks for the advice funny story.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM

5,879 posts, read 6,639,234 times
There are a couple of threads here on how to select a mover.

The national brands are generally okay....American, Red Ball, Mayflower, United, etc.

But, it is a local sort of thing. The franchises are 'national', but the franchisees are local companies that vary greatly one to the next.

So, you ask around and get four or five names. You invite them over to estimate the move.

From there, you start to do your homework: opinions, cleanliness of trucks/facilities/people, etc., time to move, crew from where, insurance, packing materials supplied, guaranteed price and delivery date, number of crew members, how do the pack/wrap/blanket, odd things --like piano, and anything else you can think of. Who drives the truck? Where are your goods stored while they wait for a 'load'. Bonded?

Then you compare price estimates with what you have discovered. Usually a 'gut' choice falls out from all of your work.

Last long distance move I did I used a high quality local mover who used a crew of four, loaded everything over two days, spent two days on the road, had the same crew do the unloading. It was great! I paid a little more...like 10%, but they were not the most expensive estimate either. Don't forget to tip for good service. Drinks and lunch go a long way to making it a 'team' effort.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM

31,983 posts, read 32,756,517 times
I would recommend Flatrate (FlatRate Moving Companies Movers New York, Manhattan, NJ, CA, SF, FL, DC and storage).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues