Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 11,732 times

Advertisements

I think uhaul's costumer service is probably the worst in the industry. I used their moving help and pods services, and I wish I would have just used movers. They are terrible -- USE SOMEONE ELSE if you don't want to be constantly anger on the phone talking to people with no sense of their larger company and no power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 11,222 times
I just finished up using the Ubox option for my move from So. Cal to Colorado. I initially was told that for my 3 bedroom that I would need 3, maybe 4 Uboxs. I ended up using 6 and gave stuff away to make it fit. Movers said it happens all the time. After the move I looked at credit card statement and I was over-charged multiple times. It's been a pain but they are being refunded. Overall experience was not pleasant. (What move is) People were great at each location just didn't know their product and one hand didn't talk to the other. Ubox came across as a new business with growing pains.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:21 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCalvin View Post
I just finished up using the Ubox option for my move from So. Cal to Colorado. I initially was told that for my 3 bedroom that I would need 3, maybe 4 Uboxs. I ended up using 6 and gave stuff away to make it fit. Movers said it happens all the time. After the move I looked at credit card statement and I was over-charged multiple times. It's been a pain but they are being refunded. Overall experience was not pleasant. (What move is) People were great at each location just didn't know their product and one hand didn't talk to the other. Ubox came across as a new business with growing pains.
Wow I'm glad I saw this thread,with all the things they don't tell you like how many units you need/weight etc. We're going cross country too so I'm only looking to make 1 trip.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:00 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
AFAIK, U-Haul's Ubox is probably the smallest of the "you pack/we drive" containers.
Next up might be:
ABF U-Pack's ReloCube, then
PODS, then (PackRat and United/Mayflower may fit here also)
ABF or Old Dominion's semi-trailer, ( pay by the foot used)

Old 03-22-2015, 02:02 PM

605 posts, read 704,537 times
I chose United to have them load, transport, and unload (I pack). I did some online research and found that there are a lot of third-party companies that end up being a nightmare for people (e.g., drivers holding your stuff ransom until you pay them cash before they unload, stuff going missing, etc.). I chose to go with one of the larger companies that have local branch offices in my area and they do in-home estimates. I got three quotes before I made my decision. I sold off a lot of my stuff as much as possible, so I'm down to what a one bedroom apartment would have and it will cost me about $2670 to move.

At first (before I did my research), I was quoted about $1800 for the move, but that ended up being just an internet quote with someone over the phone, and the company was not BBB rated, and had tons of customer complaints. I ended up going to my destination city government's website, found some moving company recommendations from there and made some calls. One of the local companies there put me in touch with the company I ended up choosing.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:07 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
I chose United to have them load, transport, and unload (I pack). I did some online research and found that there are a lot of third-party companies that end up being a nightmare for people (e.g., drivers holding your stuff ransom until you pay them cash before they unload, stuff going missing, etc.). I chose to go with one of the larger companies that have local branch offices in my area and they do in-home estimates. I got three quotes before I made my decision. I sold off a lot of my stuff as much as possible, so I'm down to what a one bedroom apartment would have and it will cost me about $2670 to move.

At first (before I did my research), I was quoted about $1800 for the move, but that ended up being just an internet quote with someone over the phone, and the company was not BBB rated, and had tons of customer complaints. I ended up going to my destination city government's website, found some moving company recommendations from there and made some calls. One of the local companies there put me in touch with the company I ended up choosing.
That's what I'm encountering now,though these companies keep promoting their good ratings etc....

Old 03-23-2015, 03:31 PM

605 posts, read 704,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
That's what I'm encountering now,though these companies keep promoting their good ratings etc....
Yes, if they are doing their own promoting, then that's a red flag. Seek third-party sites.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 8,041 times
Terrible experience with U-Box. To be clear the people involved at the shipping and pickup location were very nice and as helpful as they could be, my gripe is with the system and U-Haul's off-site internet managers.

I got a call about noon on the day my UBox was supposed to arrive letting me know that it had indeed arrived. So I rented a truck and drove about 1 hour to the pickup location. Of course 1 hour is too far, but they repeatedly told me this was the closest pickup location - it was not the closest by a longshot. But that's not the bad part, when I got there... no UBox. Turns out that they had assigned the same tracking number to 3 different shipments. All they could tell me was that I had either 1, 2 or 7 UBoxes shipping from either Los Angeles, Sacramento or Phoenix and being delivered to one of two Pittsburgh locations or Cincinnati. Whew.... glad they narrowed that down. I left after spending an hour in the lobby of a Pennzoil oil change place (the pickup location), drove another hour home. So three hours and one rental truck later, they didn't know where my UBox was or when it would be arriving. Customer service on the phone was nice, but powerless. She offered me $50 in compensation. The lady wrote a report which was forwarded to some manager who did not have the courtesy to call, rather just sent some form letter not only letting me know that it was my fault that I didn't call to confirm (They called me!!) but that the $50 compensation that the original customer service representative promised would not be honored.

I can't say enough bad things about UBox's logistics or corporate architecture. This isn't the type of thing where I just got unlucky with a bad location or employee having a bad day. UBox has systemic problems that will not be easily fixed. I have no experience with the other POD companies, but it's hard to imagine anything worse than UBox.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:39 AM

9 posts, read 27,019 times
@ CouchTater, Im curious, how did they determine the POD was overweight? Does the device they lift it with (forklift?) have an overload sensor on it? Also, did you ever find out how much the POD weighed empty? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:23 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider951 View Post
@ CouchTater, Im curious, how did they determine the POD was overweight? Does the device they lift it with (forklift?) have an overload sensor on it? Also, did you ever find out how much the POD weighed empty? Thanks in advance.
I can not answer for the POD, but can for PackRat. Yes the lift arms are put through the POD and it is barely lifted off the ground and weighed BEFORE they even try to lift it onto the truck. They are pretty careful about the weight as the lifting arms have limits as do the trucks as a whole for how much weight they can drive with. I did not ask what the weight was empty but they could have told me, I am sure. I moved a full size piano and HEAVY 1920-1950 furniture and was worried the unit would be over weight, but I was pretty much on target. The unit was packed solidly across the floor, but not to the roof as I was concerned about the weight when loading. 3 bedrooms of furniture, 2 tables, a bunch of wood chairs-desk, kitchen, rocking, metal patio chairs, patio table, full size piano and a little mics stuff that was light like bedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues