U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 PM
 
162 posts, read 529,583 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

I am looking for affordable moving companies to move approx. 30 to 40 moving boxes from Germany to US. Who did the same or knows about good companies who can handle this?
Thanks for any advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Kansas
19,185 posts, read 15,011,971 times
Reputation: 18249
Since you aren't getting any answers here, you might try the military thread since many families do move from Germany. I had a friend that moved from US to/from Germany a few times and from what she said, you need to be careful say with a hamster in the house, a can of trash, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 02:38 PM
 
162 posts, read 529,583 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Since you aren't getting any answers here, you might try the military thread since many families do move from Germany. I had a friend that moved from US to/from Germany a few times and from what she said, you need to be careful say with a hamster in the house, a can of trash, etc.
Thanks for the tip. I will post it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 PM
 
162 posts, read 529,583 times
Reputation: 40
Default Moving from Germany to US

I am looking for affordable moving companies to move approx. 30 to 40 moving boxes from Germany to US. Who did the same or knows about good companies who can handle this little moving?
Thanks for any advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
499 posts, read 1,896,323 times
Reputation: 1016
You posted this in the military section. That would lead us to believe you are in the military and therefore your move would be covered via your PCS entitlements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 07:21 PM
 
162 posts, read 529,583 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
You posted this in the military section. That would lead us to believe you are in the military and therefore your move would be covered via your PCS entitlements.
I had this thread in moving section but no answers. I got advise from a forum member that in this section are more people who has experience with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
25,311 posts, read 41,394,152 times
Reputation: 29403
Military personnel stationed overseas normally have their "Hold Baggage" and "Household Good" shipments taken care of. A US Customs inspector usually comes out to examine the shipment as it is packed. Then it is shipped. The military do not have to pay anything unless they go overweight.

They may mail small packages back to the US, but that is for authorized military personnel and their families, US employees etc...

"30 to 40 moving boxes" does not say much. They go by weight, and perhaps a maximum combined dimension...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 PM
 
162 posts, read 529,583 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Military personnel stationed overseas normally have their "Hold Baggage" and "Household Good" shipments taken care of. A US Customs inspector usually comes out to examine the shipment as it is packed. Then it is shipped. The military do not have to pay anything unless they go overweight.

They may mail small packages back to the US, but that is for authorized military personnel and their families, US employees etc...

"30 to 40 moving boxes" does not say much. They go by weight, and perhaps a maximum combined dimension...
The moving company will ship the boxes to L.A port and I would like to pick them up by myself because this way it's cheaper than when they deliver door to door.
What do I need to pick them up on the L.A port?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 PM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
25,311 posts, read 41,394,152 times
Reputation: 29403
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbest View Post
The moving company will ship the boxes to L.A port and I would like to pick them up by myself because this way it's cheaper than when they deliver door to door.
What do I need to pick them up on the L.A port?
I do not know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2013, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Florida
3,241 posts, read 4,571,993 times
Reputation: 9696
You need to visit your transportation office with these questions. None of us, unless we work there, can answer as well as they could with the most up to date and accurate information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top