Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2007, 11:15 AM

543 posts, read 1,900,787 times

Advertisements

We are going to be relocating to PA in June 2008. My husband will be going back in April but I want to let my kids finish the school year here in CA. I would have liked to move during the school year, a little earlier than April though, just because my kids would then have a chance to meet other kids before summer.
Since that plan is not going to work, we will be moving late June, when school gets out. We are planning to take an RV across the country to vacation/move instead of just hoping on a plane to PA. Once we get there it will be the first part of July. Now what do we do? Our kids will not know a soul and they will still have about 6 weeks of summer left---no beach, no friends, nothing very familiar. That scares me more than anything. I want to make this a positve move but how do I get them out there to meet people? They wil be 10,14 and 16 at that time. Any suggestions? Any advice?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 12:21 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
Hopefully you will be moving into a neighborhood with lots of kids. Trust me your kids will find their friends soon enough. I moved my kids mid school year and while the moving truck was still outside the house I had 4 kids knocking on the door asking if my kids can come out and play. Find a park, neighborhood pool, ymca,or there is probably a lake or something fun to do. Talk to your neighbors, go the library scout out books on the area you are moving to. Shoot take them to the mall. They will find some friends. Good luck to you.

Last edited by movingtohouston; 11-14-2007 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
We are going to be relocating to PA in June 2008. My husband will be going back in April but I want to let my kids finish the school year here in CA. I would have liked to move during the school year, a little earlier than April though, just because my kids would then have a chance to meet other kids before summer.
Since that plan is not going to work, we will be moving late June, when school gets out. We are planning to take an RV across the country to vacation/move instead of just hoping on a plane to PA. Once we get there it will be the first part of July. Now what do we do? Our kids will not know a soul and they will still have about 6 weeks of summer left---no beach, no friends, nothing very familiar. That scares me more than anything. I want to make this a positve move but how do I get them out there to meet people? They wil be 10,14 and 16 at that time. Any suggestions? Any advice?
Thank you!
Kids are resilient and adaptable ---just tell them this is going to be 'Wonderful'. LOL--I'd rent the National Lampoon/Chevy Chase DVDs/videos.

I'd put them to work unpacking and getting the house set up--LOL--no time to feel 'Bored'.

Research what is available in the community/town. LOL--you need to talk to the poster 'Scranton Wilkes-Barr' if you want to know anything about PA.

bhs

Old 11-20-2007, 02:42 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,209 times
Oh, you'll be *fine*! Go to the local pool, join the YMCA, go to the kid sport places ... unless you are some truly isolated place (and I don't mean to be dismissive, you might be going to a rural or semi-rural location), you will have no problem ...

Old 11-26-2007, 09:27 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
You didn't mention why your original plan wouldn't work, but after doing the cross-country move twice (both times after school let out) my only child in school at that time let me know TWO years after the final move that we made it so difficult for her to move during the summer months. Kids actually seem to like being "the new kid" because everyone knows their new, wants to show them around, etc. Plus like you said, they get to know other kids before the summer vacation weeks... My daughter's biggest complaint was that since one of the moves was the stepping up to middle school (6th grade) that in starting at the new schools, she got lost in the shuffle of kids greeting each other, and those who didn't know her just assumed that she was from a different elementary school than they went to (we have 3) Just things to keep in mind...

Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,669 times
Having done a cross country move myself during the summer with my youngest child starting 11th grade in a new school, it was hard at first until he made friends. He now says it would have been better to move mid-year so he could be the 'new kid' and everyone would be introduced to him and want to meet him/show him around, etc. He got lost in the shuffle of the new school year and sadly it took him longer to meet/greet. He has since adapted and loves the new school. (much larger than his previous one)
We also did the vacation trip (not a plane) to get to our destination, although we did hotels and sight seeing, taking almost 2 weeks to arrive. Whether hotel or RV, cross country driving is a great way to travel/vacation. Enjoy!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 AM

21 posts, read 172,243 times
OC2NYC - try 4-H, Scouts (weekly meetings doing things with local kids), YMCA, things like that to help them meet other kids. Also good suggestions above, and yes the kids show up when they see a moving truck and new kids! You could join the local pool too, if there is one, or find the local swimming hole (there is a website somewhere that lists some).

Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 AM

384 posts, read 1,669,566 times
My children are younger, but consider summer camp for the youngest (day camp/swim camp, drama camp etc) Also definately joining a community pool or the YMCA. Youth groups at Churches if you attend. Part time job for the oldest? Maybe some kind of fun summer job? I worked at an ice cream parlor when I was 16. Just a thought!

Good Luck!
Pam

Old 01-15-2008, 11:09 AM

22 posts, read 117,600 times
I relocated a few years ago and I had two kids in high school who were very nervous. I was able to talk to the school staff ahead of time, and my kids were able to get into the sports programs (football and cheerleading). Practice starts in the summer before school so by the time school started, they knew a lot of kids. The school was sympathetic to our situation and allowed them to miss the first few weeks due to the delay in moving. And happily, as much as they protested two years ago, now they can go back home and visit all their friends, and they also have a new set of friends here. It has made them so much stronger and more outgoing! Good luck.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:40 PM

206 posts, read 1,134,931 times
Why not have your husband collect some information when he gets there in April. He can pick up some books, local magazines, newspapers and send them to the kids each week in little care packages. They can read up about all the things going on in "their new Place" ... then they might just feel right at home by the time they get there. They can research the things they read about online. Then they will know exactly where the Hot spots are for kids their age.

Maybe he can also visit thier new schools and get some "welcome packages". If he will be living in the area where you will live.. such as renting a house or maybe you have purchased one already...then he can perhaps talk to a few kids in the area or their parents and let them know when you will be arriving.

They'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues