U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2013, 01:07 AM
 
108 posts, read 137,355 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

I'm a US citizen born and raised in the UK, however sometime in 2015 I plan on moving to the States - permanently.

I've already started saving and hope to have around $15k by the time I go.

I just have no idea about the whole moving process, especially due to the fact that I'm moving to another country that I've never lived in, only visited on vacations for no more than one month.

I am going over next year for about 3 weeks for another vacation.

How should I go about applying for jobs etc.? Anything I need to do? Contact the gov etc??

Any info you could provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2013, 06:10 AM
 
13,328 posts, read 17,827,087 times
Reputation: 20031
You hold a US passport and a US social security number? Have you filed US taxes? If you are male - have you registered with Select Services?
You apply for jobs just like anywhere else - directly at companies, by networking, depending on your line of work through a recruiter/agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 AM
 
3,944 posts, read 7,536,052 times
Reputation: 4431
I would ask here: U.S. Citizen Services | Embassy of the United States

How you apply for jobs depends partly on what kind of jobs you are applying for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
 
108 posts, read 137,355 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You hold a US passport and a US social security number? Have you filed US taxes? If you are male - have you registered with Select Services?
You apply for jobs just like anywhere else - directly at companies, by networking, depending on your line of work through a recruiter/agency.
US passport - yes
SSN - no
Filed taxes - no
Male - yes
Select services - no
Jobs - I mean should I apply once I get there or from here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 09:31 PM
 
3,944 posts, read 7,536,052 times
Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBXGOLD View Post
Jobs - I mean should I apply once I get there or from here?
It depends on the kind of job. What is your line of work? Do you have skills that are in such demand that a company will look so far away? If not, you'll need to wait. Either way, you'll need a social security number.

So now you know the next step: get a social security number. http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/

Are you between the ages of 18 and 25? If so, you must register with the Selective Service. Selective Service System: Welcome If you're over 25, you can cross that one off the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2013, 10:37 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,761,566 times
Reputation: 26119
Get rid of stuff. Then, get rid of more stuff. Then, look at that stuff, and get rid of everything that won't fit in a suitcase.

My basic rule on moving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2013, 01:50 AM
 
108 posts, read 137,355 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
It depends on the kind of job. What is your line of work? Do you have skills that are in such demand that a company will look so far away? If not, you'll need to wait. Either way, you'll need a social security number.

So now you know the next step: get a social security number. Social Security Number and Card

Are you between the ages of 18 and 25? If so, you must register with the Selective Service. Selective Service System: Welcome If you're over 25, you can cross that one off the list.
I work in Information Technology, as a Support Analyst, but plan on moving into something like Business Analyst/ Project Management or the eCommerce field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2013, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,134 posts, read 23,045,598 times
Reputation: 35387
Do you have a particular city/state/region you are interested in?

You can start looking for jobs online. If you don't nail one down before you get here, then you will need to choose where to move, based on where jobs would be.

There are many tech hubs in the country. I, of course, am partial to California. Love it here. I live in Silicon Valley. Lots of tech jobs and opportunities. Yes, the cost of renting/real estate is high, but other costs are not. Plus, the salaries are generally high to go along with the cost of housing.

Anyway, if you share what type of region/weather you would prefer, we may be able to give you some more specific options.

Do you have family/kids you're bringing with you? Need good schools? Hate snow? Hot weather? Lots of options here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2013, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
21,960 posts, read 14,442,747 times
Reputation: 30945
Yes, you can't look for work without a SS#. That should be high on your list. The selective service I imagine could be done when you are here. But check that online or at the embassy.

I'd research online what cities are hiring in your field. City Data has a wealth of material on cities. If you think a city is a likely candidate, try to read the local paper for clues about which places are hiring. A subscripton to the Wall Street Journal might not be amiss also.

When you have decided on a city, you fly there with minimal possessions. You have a U.S. passport, right? You as a citizen should be able to enter, and start to find a place to live, and look for work. Don't fly to a city that does not have the sort of jobs you want. You need to know that jobs for your qualifications exist there. You will need a resume and references with contact info, especially since employers in the U.S. might hesitate to hire someone whose background they cannot verify.

It helps to have a unique skill.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2013, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
1,787 posts, read 3,761,933 times
Reputation: 3159
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Do you have a particular city/state/region you are interested in?

You can start looking for jobs online. If you don't nail one down before you get here, then you will need to choose where to move, based on where jobs would be.

There are many tech hubs in the country. I, of course, am partial to California. Love it here. I live in Silicon Valley. Lots of tech jobs and opportunities. Yes, the cost of renting/real estate is high, but other costs are not. Plus, the salaries are generally high to go along with the cost of housing.

Anyway, if you share what type of region/weather you would prefer, we may be able to give you some more specific options.

Do you have family/kids you're bringing with you? Need good schools? Hate snow? Hot weather? Lots of options here.
^^^ This….give us a little more information and I'm sure you will get a lot of useful suggestions. In your field you should be able to get a job if you are somewhat flexible about location; it will be a give and take. Silicon Valley is great; I would also put Austin, Texas on the short list for your industry.

Whether $15K is enough for starting money will depend a bit on where you choose and your lifestyle, but I think it should be enough. I think a lot of people moving with a job have less than that, but they may not be going so far away from their established support network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top