Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 12:36 PM

29 posts, read 33,917 times

Advertisements

Ok I will try to do this as short as possible

I have been partly supporting my daughter and her husband and their child for over two years. I pay for animals, food and their car insurance (about 700 a month) and other incidentals she needs. I don't want to go into the family dynamics so that is all that I will say on that subject. Now for the real questions:

my daughter and her husband with one child moving with me from Florida to Texas with 2 dogs and 5 cats total combined with two cars and a two bedroom house with nothing worth anything inside of it. We have two uncles coming to help us move. Here is my plan, tell me if you can think of anything cheaper.

1. Renting an RV to put dogs, baby and daughter in in so we don't have to stay at hotel and we can save money on eating inside the RV. Possibly will put some of the cats cage in the RV but I don't know yet. The quotes I have gotten were about 500 to 800 for three days. We can pack it up with all of the clothes and most of the stuff we will be taking with.

2. Towing the cars, I found a few companies who will pick up the cars and bring them on a truck for about 500 each or 1000. figure I can pack clothes and whatever is not valuable in the cars for the transfer. (my car's is a 6 cyl and the transmission had to be redone recently, air conditioning fixed and I still have other things that I need to repair on my car) (their car is running good 4 cylinder but also had transmission problems and high mileage)

Mine idea will be 1800.00 to 2000.00 total

3. Selling EVERYTHING. other than baby stuff, clothes and mattresses, everything else is being sold.

My son in law has a different idea.

1. I am to drive my car with my daughter and the baby in it, we put everything in a truck and they will tow my daughters car behind the truck (he said their car would not make the drive which is why he is towing hers, guess he don't care whether mine does or not). Whatever animals don't fit in the truck or the cars can be gotten rid of.

his cost 400 to 500 plus gas and lodging.

Should we just pay for our own costs, do them jointly? What do you think? I don't think my idea is unreasonable if you divide it by two. I actually think it is a rather genius idea myself to rent the RV. The cats are in a very large cage and will be drugged a bit so they won't get upset or move around much.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 12:53 PM

9,316 posts, read 16,624,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kippie42 View Post
Ok I will try to do this as short as possible

I have been partly supporting my daughter and her husband and their child for over two years. I pay for animals, food and their car insurance (about 700 a month) and other incidentals she needs. I don't want to go into the family dynamics so that is all that I will say on that subject. Now for the real questions:

my daughter and her husband with one child moving with me from Florida to Texas with 2 dogs and 5 cats total combined with two cars and a two bedroom house with nothing worth anything inside of it. We have two uncles coming to help us move. Here is my plan, tell me if you can think of anything cheaper.

1. Renting an RV to put dogs, baby and daughter in in so we don't have to stay at hotel and we can save money on eating inside the RV. Possibly will put some of the cats cage in the RV but I don't know yet. The quotes I have gotten were about 500 to 800 for three days. We can pack it up with all of the clothes and most of the stuff we will be taking with.

2. Towing the cars, I found a few companies who will pick up the cars and bring them on a truck for about 500 each or 1000. figure I can pack clothes and whatever is not valuable in the cars for the transfer. (my car's is a 6 cyl and the transmission had to be redone recently, air conditioning fixed and I still have other things that I need to repair on my car) (their car is running good 4 cylinder but also had transmission problems and high mileage)

Mine idea will be 1800.00 to 2000.00 total

3. Selling EVERYTHING. other than baby stuff, clothes and mattresses, everything else is being sold.

My son in law has a different idea.

1. I am to drive my car with my daughter and the baby in it, we put everything in a truck and they will tow my daughters car behind the truck (he said their car would not make the drive which is why he is towing hers, guess he don't care whether mine does or not). Whatever animals don't fit in the truck or the cars can be gotten rid of.

his cost 400 to 500 plus gas and lodging.

Should we just pay for our own costs, do them jointly? What do you think? I don't think my idea is unreasonable if you divide it by two. I actually think it is a rather genius idea myself to rent the RV. The cats are in a very large cage and will be drugged a bit so they won't get upset or move around much.

I personally like your idea and am assuming you are taking into consideration cost of gas for the RV. We have a large RV and gas can be expensive. Are the animals yours or your daughters? Cannot understand how you can just get rid of a dog or cat that is part of the family. Not sure of the reason you are moving and/or why you are partially supporting your daughter's family. If you are paying, go with your idea, however if you disagree with SIL, he can pay for his own idea.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:16 PM

10,039 posts, read 17,998,470 times
I would "get rid of" the SIL and keep the pets. What a jerk!

OP, needless to say I like your plan better.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:44 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,284,946 times
Or let him manage it all. It is not worth any drama. Really.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:23 AM

27,011 posts, read 43,613,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I personally like your idea and am assuming you are taking into consideration cost of gas for the RV. We have a large RV and gas can be expensive. Are the animals yours or your daughters? Cannot understand how you can just get rid of a dog or cat that is part of the family. Not sure of the reason you are moving and/or why you are partially supporting your daughter's family. If you are paying, go with your idea, however if you disagree with SIL, he can pay for his own idea.
Exactly, and pets supersede junk that's replaceable with either plan. Pets aren't disposable and are an obligation...like part of the family, particularly when kids are involved.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:59 AM

4,484 posts, read 9,269,086 times
If one of the cars won't make the trip, get rid of that car. It's about to break down anyway.

Do you really need two extra men if you are getting rid of most of the stuff? What are they going to do besides take up space?

Can you make the trip without stopping overnight? You will have plenty of drivers.

"Getting rid of" some of the animals isn't a bad idea if you have someone you can give them to. Don't just dump them.

Paying only for your own costs doesn't make sense, given that you are paying their living costs anyway. Aren't "mine" and "theirs" a little blurred already?

Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,567,868 times
People who "get rid of" their animals when they move are disgusting subhuman trash.

Sell your cars and most of your stuff.
With the proceeds, buy a used van that runs well and has a tow hitch on back.
Take out the back row of seats.
Put humans in front, some humans and some animals on first back seat.
Put other animals where the back row of seats used to be.
Send your stuff in boxes via UPS to your new location.
Or if you have heirloom furniture you HAVE to keep, rent & fill a U-haul trailer and attach to the van.

I've done the above before - easy peasey. You have your stuff and animals with you and a running vehicle when you arrive.

But most importantly: Leave the son-in-law behind!

Old 09-23-2013, 06:39 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,037,062 times
Who do the dogs and cats belong too? Maybe the daughter and SIL---seven pets, but not enough money to pay their way in life? Hmmmm...... that needs to be scaled back to one cat, but 'dumping' them? That's not very responsible.

Who is paying for the move? Doubtful that the SIL coughs up a penny. ("You put up the money, mom, and we'll pay you back" (never)). He who pays makes the plan......sorry, but that is life.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,482,511 times
This is what I posted in your other thread. Still holds true.

Your poll is messed up. It says Texas or Florida. That being said, I would move to Illinois since you will have family and help there and not the moochers that are moving to Texas. It is shameful that after all the help you gave them, they will not return the favor. Move to Illinois, save some money, do not give the moochers another dime, and then move to where you really wan to live.

Your daughter may be your best friend, but best friends do not do what her and her hubby did to you. Find a good home for your cat, get yourself back on your feet, there are plenty of jobs out there, and start to really enjoy life again.

PS. You daughter wants you out in Texas so you can continue to finance her. That's my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues