Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 AM

543 posts, read 1,900,056 times

Advertisements

We have been trying to relocate from OC California to the east coast (primarily CT) for the last few years. We have family in CT and NJ and basically just love the area. And yes, we know it is different, cold, humid, expensive, etc., etc.

This summer my husband was offered a job in Austin, Tx. We moved here in July, and while it is a great place, we still want to move east, closer to NYC. My husband's job is not what he expected so he is on the lookout again for another opportunity. He is looking in Austin but also in the east. My question is where on the east coast (CT and south) should we look?

We love CT but jobs are few and col is high. It's probably not much different than So. CA but now that we are in Austin we realize how nice it is not to always be so tight. We have one daughter on her own in LA, two kids in college (one in San Fran and one in CT) and a freshman in high school. My son knows that we might be moving again after this first year and is fine with that as long as it's the east coast or back home.

My husband right now is selling for a gold company dealing with commodities and precious metals. He has been in the mortgage industry and sales his whole life. I am wondering where there is opportunity, if any, on the east coast, not more than a 2 hour drive to NYC. I have researched CT extensively so don't need any info. on that area. I know NJ is way too expensive all around. Are there any places that have a little lower COL and yet still have that east coast feeling of history, traditional architecture, and where we won't be too rural. I'm thinking PA, but not sure if I am overlooking a hidden gem, or another area where there are good schools, amenities and jobs.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
There are a few places in PA and South NJ you could look. Yardley PA is a cute town, commute to NYC or Philly.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:16 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I think you may be generalizing a bit too much regarding the entire state of New Jersey being too expensive. It would be the most ideal in terms of location (within 2 hours of NYC) and other criteria you're looking for, including good schools. Check out the Mount Laurel area.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:40 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
You need to check out the greater Philadelphia area, that is the city and its suburbs and exurbs both in NJ and PA. When you do your research, you will need to go town by town because demographics and property taxes change drastically from one township to the next. Transportation from anywhere in the area to NYC is excellent as there are commuters from all parts of the area to NYC. Check out the Philadelphia forum for ideas and information.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:00 PM

23 posts, read 36,104 times
New Jersey is always going to be expensive, and the taxes are quite shocking in many areas. For example, Lambertville is a wonderful small walkable town and artist community that meets your criteria - your husband could work in Princeton with a short commute, or go to NYC in 2 hours or less, or Philadelphia in under an hour. However, the taxes are rough.

Personally, it's one of my favorite towns in NJ.

Philadelphia, on the other hand, can be incredibly cheap. Best of luck as you keep scanning...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues