U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:26 AM

6,415 posts, read 3,590,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I am amazed at the level of concern around driving cross country. I have done it several times, with absolutely no problems. One needs only minimal preparation to do this successfully.

Make sure your vehicle is reliable, you have enough money for gas and food, then head out the door.

We live in a safe country, not a post apocalyptic mad-Max road warrior world.
Good advice. As long as one doesn't do anything stupid or try to set the land speed record they generally will be fine driving cross country. Enjoy it -- there's a lot to see so take time to see it.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:56 AM

1,746 posts, read 293,753 times
My cat and I drove back and forth from the East Coast to the Midwest for years to go visit my Dad before he passed away. I typically drove until I couldn't stand it anymore and then would take cat naps for several hours at rest stops with other cars. Never had a dangerous moment or an issue concerning personal safety. The two things I mainly had to watch out for were deer jumping in front of my car and tractor trailers driving like maniacs.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:50 PM

4,935 posts, read 3,416,216 times
The only thing for me is that I wish I'd taken more time to drive here from Minnesota. The first time I drove out, I was a scaredy cat and didn't take the time to sight see. It was the first trip I'd ever taken by myself and I didn't really know what I would find. Even driving back to Minnesota I rushed.

Then, after I decided to go ahead and move, I was on a schedule to get here as it was a holiday weekend and I had to be at the office to pay rent before close of day Friday or wait until Tuesday. I made it by two hours.

So, again I didn't take the time to explore.

My fears of traveling by myself were unrealized and nothing untoward happened. But, for a 64 year old single woman who had never traveled by herself, I didn't do badly. I got over my fear of traveling, did get to see some of the country and gained more trust in my abilities.

I look back now and think of some of the places I would have liked to explore and wish I had. Valentine, South Dakota was such a charming little town. I stayed over night but didn't stop to explore. Places in Colorado I wanted to explore, but didn't. Ah we!l, now that traveling no longer scares me, maybe some day I will go exploring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues