U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 06:30 PM

741 posts, read 1,387,775 times

Advertisements

Worried about phone going dead?
Get and extra on or even two. For a month's fee - $20 each, phone $14.each.
Call it communication insurance.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:31 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,056,601 times
That's basically what I said. But crossing the whole country, what are the chances every one you enter recognizes your state's permit?

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-23-2013, 10:49 PM

342 posts, read 555,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I should add that the AAA is probably the best advice. They can map out a route for you (or they used to). We also plan to move and drive across country. I will plan out how far to drive, where to stop and I'll have hotel reservations already set up along the way.

I did this years ago before cell phones and it always worked out well. Plan a reasonable distance and you won't get tired. In this age of smartphones, it easier. If you run into any problems, you can always call and cancel the reservation. Most hotels allow you to cancel up to a certain time the same day without penalty.

By making reservations ahead of time, you get good internet rates and save money.
Thank you, this was my thinking exactly.....using AAA since I am a member

Old 09-23-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I'd be careful about carrying a weapon. You don't want to be stopped by some out of state police and have them find some kind of concealed weapon in your car. That could cause all sorts of problems.

My Cousin Vinney and Return to Macon County come to mind.....
I was going to avoid the south at all costs,,,,but I do not have the time to investigate all the states laws on hand guns.....purchased in CA yet,,,,,yes but for every action one takes in this life we need to know the repercussions.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:54 PM

Thank you all for your replies.....common sense is always the name of the game and of course...safety first.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Lol are you driving across Somalia or something?

Old 09-24-2013, 01:00 AM

7,216 posts, read 12,651,511 times
I've driven cross-country several times alone including when I was in my early 20s. I thought of it as an adventure ... but really it was just boring.

My trips were 99.9% on the Interstates and I had no problems at all. I stopped at rest stops and there were always lots of people around. I didn't like driving after dark but some mornings I would wake up really early (e.g. 4 a.m.) and be wide awake and I would just get out there on the road. It wasn't scary driving in the dark when I knew it would be light soon.

Most of my trips were before there were cell phones! Maybe I was too naive to be scared.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:04 AM

91 posts, read 77,023 times
I've done New York to Alaska and everything in-between. Some thoughts...

Stick to interstates, don't drive at night, have AAA, cell phone and charger, map or preferably GPS - All things it sounds like you are hip to. Others include to refill gas tank liberally, sunglasses (preferably polarized which drastically reduce glare and eye fatigue), and to call your bank before you leave to inform them of your travel plans. I've been stuck in the middle of the desert at night at a gas station, my card being declined with no prior notice due to "suspicious purchases" namely gas along my route. Have plenty of good music and or audiobooks. Also, if you are unsure of your car and want to be on the safe side, depending on where you are, find a mechanic who specializes in "pre-purchase inspections". These are the ones to use because they dont have an interest in fixing your car, therefore will not be tempted to give you the business, so to speak. They do not do any repairs whatsoever. Only inspections. They are usually $100-$200 but well worth it. They go head to toe on the car and will tell you what's wrong now, what is about to go wrong and what's right! They are typically used for buying used cars but this is a great way to utilize them as well. Oh, I'm a guy, btw

Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,464,366 times
Its like any other drive just longer. Not really anything to worry about as long as your car is in good order. when I ws racing sailboats seriously I drove from Ca to East Coast or Great Lakes events back and forth several times a year. Normly took about 3 to 4 days if alone 4 to 5 days with trailer, sleeping in the car if I was paying or in motels if I had the boat owners credit card.

I tend to sleep in, have a relaxed breakfast, then drive through till lunch, rest and then drive till dinner, then drive untill I start getting too sleepy usualy around midnight or so but thats just me. Normaly I had some time preassure but it is fun to explore a bit down the backroads if time allows.

I think the real danger is falling asleep at the wheel, it has happend to lots of people I know.

In 92 a friend was bringing his boat back from New York and had his bosses boat which was to be sent to Barcelona for the Olympic Games. He fell asleep wrecked the company van his and his bosses boats. Lucky for him his boss was cool, boat was insured and boss went on to win gold with another boat.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 AM

3,036 posts, read 7,397,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
That's basically what I said. But crossing the whole country, what are the chances every one you enter recognizes your state's permit?

Posted with TapaTalk
LOL, ok. The chances that a state will recognize your CCW permit are pretty good actually. Not sure about all states (although there are maps out there to show you this info.), but in NC I can pretty much drive all the way across the country to the California border and have every state in-between recognize my permit. In fact 37 other states will recognize my NC CCW license.

I have driven from Wilmington, NC to Los Angeles, CA before (Ocean to Ocean). It was a fun trip, but long. We still did it in 3.5 days after taking a day detour to the Grand Canyon. This was way before I had a CCW permit. Just be aware of your surroundings and do your research on where you want to stop and what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.