U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 PM

239 posts, read 525,577 times

Advertisements

Here's one thing that my dad taught me. When checking into a motel/hotel, if the front desk person announces your room number out loud, ask for a different room if one is available. Then ask them to write your new room number down so that no one can overhear what room you are going to be in.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:10 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,377,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakread2 View Post
Here's one thing that my dad taught me. When checking into a motel/hotel, if the front desk person announces your room number out loud, ask for a different room if one is available. Then ask them to write your new room number down so that no one can overhear what room you are going to be in.
Seriously! Are you that scared? Glad I don't live my life in fear.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:36 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,542,008 times
afraid the cell phone will go dead get a spare battery or a car chager. you won't have any problems as long as you use common sense. if you look like act like or pose like your looking for trouble then you may have problems. and get that car inspected to make sure it's safe or sell it and ups or fedex your stuff back east!! the only problem i see you having is the bordem and the thoughts that may go through your head while driving out there alone you might start talking to yourself and that was ment to be funny also. trust me i drive 130,000 miles a year cross country and iv'e never had any problems

Old 09-26-2013, 04:08 AM

9,429 posts, read 10,183,219 times
If you are traveling during the vacation season you will find that you won't be alone. During holidays, spring break, beginning and end of college terms the highways, filling stations, and motels are going to be full of travelers. (There is safety in numbers)
I have found many travelers especially senior citizens are budget conscious and those motels tend to be more active with people. I once blew out a tire and had to stay at a $120.00 a night hotel and it looked like I was the only one there.

Hunting, fishing, auto racing, dog shows and various other events that are not on my radar had me staying in desolate areas because most places with good locations were booked.
Personally I don't think there are any inherent dangers to traveling other than help may be farther away.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:03 AM

3,047 posts, read 6,578,352 times
I have done a few long distance trips on my own. I just did one a few weeks ago and I am a lady. I look very young too and once was questioned at a hotel traveling alone.
For myself traveling GPS is key, AAA, of course a cell phone and a car charger. I stay at a hotel with a lobby and that you must enter the lobby to reach a room. I usually say at a Marriot or Hampton Inn. I don't pre book a hotel because I like to travel as far as I can. If you are a AAA member you can get a better rate at hotels too. Usually I get a feeling like the other week when I was in Georgia it took a few exits to find an area I felt ok with.
I was traveling with belongings in my car but I don't leave things like GPS or a laptop in view. When you get in your car make sure to lock the car asap. Before you leave have your car checked and oil/fluids changed.
Good luck

Old 09-26-2013, 10:46 AM

3,257 posts, read 4,475,834 times
I've driven from WV to LA. I don't think I would drive it alone. Didn't have any mishaps except for bad weather. Stayed in all different kinds of places, hotel, motel, B&B, friends. The most unnerving place I drove was OLD route 66 in CA near Nevada's southern tip. It was just so deserted and unkempt.

Why are you driving alone? Can you find anyone to go with?

Old 09-26-2013, 01:59 PM

342 posts, read 555,708 times
[quote=travelhound;31544631]The best route depends on the time of year at what point east you want to end up. There are three major routes and secondary 4 lanes. Denver to St lois on 70 is not even worth the drive frankly, nothing to see at all but a windmill farm. I did it twice and never will again unless it's a must. The jump down through Arkansas to Memphis and then through TN on 40 is pretty but Ark has road work happening.

The biggest danger is COMPLETE UTTTER BORDOM, and seeing so much of our highways and citys blighted with ugly corporate logos and Rest stops with nothing but junk food. For myself the other biggest danger is burn out from not eating enough healthy foods and dehydration from forgetting to drink water! I took baby spinach greens with me and ate some every day to make sure I got something resembling real food.

Don't compromise on Hotels and stay in NICE 2 starHotels at the hundred range, The Hamptons, Holiday Inn etc, and check it first before you check in. stay outside a city not in it if you don't want to tour a place.

Don't dress super high end or wear fancy jewelry. You'll need to pop in and out of the car every two to three hours, dress in something comfortable to drive in and casual. I intentionally do not dress to "sexy" when traveling, to much attention. Keep heels in the backseat area if you need to switch them out to look a little nicer entering a hotel. Don't forget long

Good point about the JUNK FOOD......you can only pack a days work or two of salads....fruit etc....and do not want to be tempted (due to hunger) to do the drive thru at Mc Donalds or any other fast food place..

Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
The best route depends on the time of year at what point east you want to end up. There are three major routes and secondary 4 lanes. Denver to St lois on 70 is not even worth the drive frankly, nothing to see at all but a windmill farm. I did it twice and never will again unless it's a must. The jump down through Arkansas to Memphis and then through TN on 40 is pretty but Ark has road work happening.

The biggest danger is COMPLETE UTTTER BORDOM, and seeing so much of our highways and citys blighted with ugly corporate logos and Rest stops with nothing but junk food. For myself the other biggest danger is burn out from not eating enough healthy foods and dehydration from forgetting to drink water! I took baby spinach greens with me and ate some every day to make sure I got something resembling real food.

Don't compromise on Hotels and stay in NICE 2 starHotels at the hundred range, The Hamptons, Holiday Inn etc, and check it first before you check in. stay outside a city not in it if you don't want to tour a place.

Don't dress super high end or wear fancy jewelry. You'll need to pop in and out of the car every two to three hours, dress in something comfortable to drive in and casual. I intentionally do not dress to "sexy" when traveling, to much attention. Keep heels in the backseat area if you need to switch them out to look a little nicer entering a hotel. Don't forget long sleeves and sunscreen on your hands and on your face.

Sorry...I accidentally posted my response to you incorrectly......thank you for the advice

Old 09-26-2013, 02:10 PM

WOW...such great responses, many things to think about,,,,,,,,and yes it is UTTERLY boring,,,,,but hopefully safe.

I was going to take the route through the ROCKIES (70) to Denver (stopping on other side of Denver)...never driven through CO......I do not want to take the more southerly route (old 66??).....but I am concerned about going through Rockies...but not as much as going through BORING UGLY desert....

warnings.....Rockies, route 70?? Does the elevation occur SLOWLY....as advised to check the weather day before as winter can arrive early.

Thank you all for wonderful replies.......not trying to be a whimp, just being cautious

Old 09-26-2013, 02:30 PM

239 posts, read 525,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Seriously! Are you that scared? Glad I don't live my life in fear.
No, I am not that scared. The poster wanted advice and I gave her some that had been given to me. I haven't actually used it myself, but I thought it might be helpful to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues